DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

I could see where judges tapes or sheets could be very beneficial to a mini corps for next season.

Properly formatted they could give insight into what the judges are awarding criteria and points on.

With that information a program coordinator can make adjustments in the program to meet the criteria of the judges.

A good example of such that I can recite is from the field corps tapes and reviews. Year after year I kept hearing from the tapes about field coverage. Once we started getting that nailed down I started noticing our scores going up.

So yes there is something beneficial about having tapes and sheets for NEXT YEAR.

• Like 3

Who cares about any of these things being said? This thread is just plain stupid....

1. Mini corps is a competition. Let us compete.

2. Mini corps is scored on DCA GE sheets, obviously implying an entertainment aspect. Let us entertain.

Just leave it at that and everything works.

Timmy

I could see where judges tapes or sheets could be very beneficial to a mini corps for next season.

Properly formatted they could give insight into what the judges are awarding criteria and points on.

Ummm...turn the sheets around....

There you will find what exactly what the judges are awarding criteria and points on!

Take those sheets, max out the criteria set forth, and you get your score.

All I'm saying is if you feel you need the sheets or a tape, then good for you.

Me personally, as long as I understand HOW to read the sheets that are given to each mini corps in the packet when the mini corps registers, I try my best to apply it to the said corps, and let the chips fall where they may. Because the championships is a one shot deal, and as ALL of the DCA corps do NOT get tapes at Championships, (just sheets), they do the same for Mini Corps.

I'm sorry....but a tape for this year will absolutely do nothing for me next year! Sheets might help some, but if the sheets stay the same, year to year, then I as an instructor or program coordinator of my mini corps should know how to inturpret those sheets!

Yes...my opinion of this has changed over the years.

• Like 3

I'm sorry....but a tape for this year will absolutely do nothing for me next year! Sheets might help some, but if the sheets stay the same, year to year, then I as an instructor or program coordinator of my mini corps should know how to inturpret those sheets!

Frank is right, but for those that insist a tape with comments will help them for next year, let me give you some helpful comments that should assist you when designing your next program:

BE MORE AWESOME. GET BETTER. SUCK LESS.

Do you really need anything else? Anything more than that is just frosting.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

With that information a program coordinator can make adjustments in the program to meet the criteria of the judges.

A good example of such that I can recite is from the field corps tapes and reviews. Year after year I kept hearing from the tapes about field coverage. Once we started getting that nailed down I started noticing our scores going up.

So yes there is something beneficial about having tapes and sheets for NEXT YEAR.

the GE sheets haven't really changed tho

Ummm...turn the sheets around....

There you will find what exactly what the judges are awarding criteria and points on!

Take those sheets, max out the criteria set forth, and you get your score.

All I'm saying is if you feel you need the sheets or a tape, then good for you.

Me personally, as long as I understand HOW to read the sheets that are given to each mini corps in the packet when the mini corps registers, I try my best to apply it to the said corps, and let the chips fall where they may. Because the championships is a one shot deal, and as ALL of the DCA corps do NOT get tapes at Championships, (just sheets), they do the same for Mini Corps.

Yes...my opinion of this has changed over the years.

Frank, although I totally understand where your coming from, the sheets don't make sense as far the Judges comments. How do you get comments like "great show", "aggressive charts" "very entertaining" and then get a score that doesn't back those comments up. If we got sheets that said "tempo problems" "weak show", Corps not able to sell show, then we would understand what we have to improve on and that would justify the score

. We would much rather have constructive criticism. I believe tapes would provide us with this as the Judges could comment as they go along and point out weaknesses and strengths. It's really that simple

• Like 3

Frank, although I totally understand where your coming from, the sheets don't make sense as far the Judges comments. How do you get comments like "great show", "aggressive charts" "very entertaining" and then get a score that doesn't back those comments up. If we got sheets that said "tempo problems" "weak show", Corps not able to sell show, then we would understand what we have to improve on and that would justify the score

If you need someone else to tell you you have tempo problems, or a weak show, or you're not selling it, no amount of comments are going to help you. Seriously. Look in the mirror to find the problem.

• Like 2

If you need someone else to tell you you have tempo problems, or a weak show, or you're not selling it, no amount of comments are going to help you. Seriously. Look in the mirror to find the problem.

that left a mark

:ph34r:

• Like 1

. We would much rather have constructive criticism. I believe tapes would provide us with this as the Judges could comment as they go along and point out weaknesses and strengths. It's really that simple

Mike...to me it sounds like you expected the judges to elaborate a little more than they did on the sheets.

Is that what you were saying?

You have to uderstand....even the DCA member corps do NOT get a tape after prelims or finals. All they get are the judges sheets with their comments. YES...I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND where you are coming from, and YES, I agree they SHOULD elaborate more than just "Nice Job", or "Great Show". But as far as tapes, or mp3's, it's just not going to happen. And I know it stinks....but since the judges do not give out tapes or mp3's for the DCA member corps finals performance, they are not going to do it for the Mini Corps at THEIR final performance either, sorry to say!

I feel for ya man.....I really, REALLY do!

• Like 1

We would much rather have constructive criticism. I believe tapes would provide us with this as the Judges could comment as they go along and point out weaknesses and strengths. It's really that simple

The problem with that is they are pointing out weakness and strengths of THIS YEARS SHOW....next year you might have the same problems all over again with a totally different show or totally different concept!

I do have to ask you this Mike.....

And this is just an example....

Let's say that this year you played "Jazzmerelda".

You get a tape at finals with a comment like, "Nice Job with the chart, but I just didn't feel the jazziness as an ensemble like I should"....again..just an example.

Now lets say, for example, that next year you decide to go in a totally different direction, and play "The 1812 Overture" like Phantom did it, or Reading did this year...

How is the comment about jazziness this year going to help you play 1812 next year?

Just think about that...

Edited by FPonzo
  • Like 1