Most Underrated Hornline

I am agreeing with all those who have mentioned Bluecoats--i felt they were amazing every time i heard them. (ANd their drum line was amazing as well)

Jump in the way back machine while w're on the subject of Bluecoats...I thought Bluecoats hornline was really impressive in 1989. Most years actually. But, that one sticks out as one that I never ever hear anyone mention.

• Like 1

I thought that the Cavaliers were underrated. In the early season, they had some heros sticking out of the ensemble, and definitely you could

hear their feet in their horns, but by the end of July, they had a much improved sound. Maybe not quite up to their usual championship

level, but really good.

I also was really impressed with Bluecoats, Madison and Santa Clara's brass lines. Each had a mature and powerful

sound. But out of that group, I would give the edge to the Bluecoats.

• Like 3

Definitely agree with Pacific Crest. I saw them in Allentown and was very impressed with their line's timing and ability to play in sync despite having different sections spread out over a very large distance on the field.

• Like 2

Now my challenge to all the arrangers, write books to where your horn line can shine!!! Putting random runs interrupting melodic lines is not the answer, and frankly it's not hard to play F major scales up and down, even my slow trombone fingers can do that. Just don't be lazy, really take the time with voicings, that can really make all the difference in an impactful moment. Let your brass lines play some music also! It's okay to have a phrase develop. Too much stating 4 bars of the melody then we can't recognize the music anymore.

That's why I really dug BD's hornline when I saw them this year. Not the most musical book on the field, but definitely the most difficult in terms of arranging. All sorts of crazy atonal stuff in there that would put Stravinsky to shame, and played remarkably in-tune.

• Like 4