The Bushwackers need your assistance

The 'harm' was done to David Kapp by those who defaulted and caused it ti go into legal action; I was just the prod which brought it to the surface.

No you weren't. Dave originally posted the same comment in the DCA thread when it was there.

And trust me when I tell you this, after marching with him for 3 years, even though Dave is 100% in the right, This is obviously conjecture, but I highly doubt he ever wanted it to come to this and probably kills him that it did come to this. Dave is one of 2 people that come to mind when you think of as who has done the most for the corps over the years.

And to save your response, all that does mean nothing when Gupta did nothing with his payments. Get rid of him, save the corps, and put someone who can run it as director.

What you fail to realize us I agree with your point that it was his fault, not Dave's. However, I don't want to see the corps fold because he messed up after taking over.

Edited by Kyle B
  • Like 5

This is not a Teal issue, a Forte issue, a VK issue, a Bushwhacker issue, but a business issue. A corps which is ran as a viable 'in the black' business should receive financial support; however, those who go into the red because the primary, again primary focus was on the artistic performance and not on paying their creditors, paying their transportation bills, failing to report their IRS 990's, can, and should, fold.

What would you say to those people who agree with you (like the former Bushwackers director) that the current Bushwackers' administration is at fault but nonetheless (again, like the former Bushwackers director) don't want the corps to go under and have encouraged others to donate?

• Like 1

What would you say to those people who agree with you (like the former Bushwackers director) that the current Bushwackers' administration is at fault but nonetheless (again, like the former Bushwackers director) don't want the corps to go under and have encouraged others to donate?

Since you asked what I would say to others (for those who are going to blast me for making this about me it is not about me, I was asked my opinion)

Tell the BOD:

a) Immediately, today, right now, fire the person(s) responsible for making the final decisions for the organization; whomever had final call on axing the payments but decided to go to championships needs to be held accountable because they ran the corps into the ground in one-year where as Jay apparently ran it above reproach for 25-years; even if it is the full BOD and the current director, dump the ones who do not know how to run a business.

b) After the formal firing(s), ask Jay to be an interim director for x-months so as to stabilize the situation and bring back immediate credibility to the organization; if he does then make a huge public appeal, with complete transparent honesty, seeking financial help (accepting the fact that the equipment still might be liquidated); if he says no to that interim offer, then the organization should immediately go inactive.

c) Within those x-months while Jay is the interim, or while inactive, secure a person who has ran a business successfully in the black for many years as a director; if that does not occur in the allotted time period the organization goes, or stays, inactive.

d) After securing that person, make a second formal appeal to the public concerning the firings, the restructuring of the organization, the securing of real business people, and then seek donations from others as an appeal to pay off the remaining court settlement so that the corps can progress into the future.

Either a-d, or fold the corps.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

No you weren't. Dave originally posted the same comment in the DCA thread when it was there.

And trust me when I tell you this, after marching with him for 3 years, even though Dave is 100% in the right, This is obviously conjecture, but I highly doubt he ever wanted it to come to this and probably kills him that it did come to this. Dave is one of 2 people that come to mind when you think of as who has done the most for the corps over the years.

And to save your response, all that does mean nothing when Gupta did nothing with his payments. Get rid of him, save the corps, and put someone who can run it as director.

What you fail to realize us I agree with your point that it was his fault, not Dave's. However, I don't want to see the corps fold because he messed up after taking over.

I do not 'want' to see the corps fold; I want the corps to be ran responsibly or if it cannot then fold. See my posting #143 above.

• Like 1

Since you asked what I would say to others (for those who are going to blast me for making this about me it is not about me, I was asked my opinion)

Tell the BOD:

[...four-point recommendation...]

... or fold the corps.

No blasting from this quarter. Thank you for your reply. I think it's quite reasonable. There may be room for some quibbles*, but your suggestions rightly recognize the need for financial accountability while allowing for the concerns of those of us who feel that the loss of any more corps, for whatever reason, is a net negative for the activity.

*Query on this point, not necessarily for you:

a) Immediately, today, right now, fire the person(s) responsible for making the final decisions for the organization; whomever had final call on axing the payments but decided to go to championships needs to be held accountable because they ran the corps into the ground in one-year where as Jay apparently ran it above reproach for 25-years; even if it is the full BOD and the current director, dump the ones who do not know how to run a business.

Some people in this discussion have argued that the corps stood to lose more by not going to Annapolis -- that it was in fact the financially sound decision to attend. Can anyone shed more light on the costs that the corps versus the income they stand to receive by attending championships?

if you have a spare dollar. Donate. It's worth it. Losing another corps in the activity. Is not really acceptable. Especially a corps with this history. I know NO ONE involved wants anything bad for the corps. But people do need to be paid back.

• Like 1

This may sound crazy but what if WE put together a fund to buy the equipment once it goes up for auction and just gave it back to the Bushwackers?

Stu and everyone, PLEASE can we STOP this??

When I left the corps it was in desperate need of members. Bills were being payed BUT time was running out QUICKLY for the corps. The way I ooperated the corps and how I payed bills was feuld by a certain amount of membership each year. When the membership shrank from bad to worse I was planning on folding the corps, Selling all the equipment and paying ALL the remaining bills and staff bills and retire. A group of alums and staff approached me with a plan to take over the corps, Help pay a few personal bills in my name and try to salvage the corps for the 2011 season. We agreed on everything and the rest is history. The monthly payments on the brass loan was figured by a certain amount of tuition paying members to keep everything current. As many know the Bushwackers have fielded 2 season of smaller size corps, THIS is why things have turned out this way.PUT THE BLAME ON ME, PLEASE and lets move on. Let the corps to continue to ask for donations without all of this finger pointing, Its not fair to me, Dave Kapp and Bob Gupta to have to keep reading all of this "stuff" on DCP.

I can tell you that the pledge drive has done wonderful so far and I urge EVERYONE to donate if they can. The alumni have steeped up HUGE for the corps to make sure Dave Kapp is payed asap and the Bushwackers can continue on for a very long time. PLEASE let the "conversation" END and let all the parties involved make it right.

PLEASE

Jay Morlot

ps, I have retired from the corps and im enjoying the time with my wonderful wife and GREAT daughter and son. i have no interest in anything Bushwacker except to lend my advice and help the corps as any 31 year alumnus should.

What Jay said.

Honest to God, this activity really cannot afford to lose another corps. So any of us who can help out financially in this case should at least consider doing so.

I also almost can't believe that this thread turned into a "Blue Devils bashing/defending" topic for a while. :tongue:

• Like 2

This may sound crazy but what if WE put together a fund to buy the equipment once it goes up for auction and just gave it back to the Bushwackers?

I am going to respect Jay, but how does your idea help David Kapp, who is the one actually getting shafted in this entire situation? In fact, why are so few concerned about 'his' loss? I mean he took all of the risk and he will take the bullet while Bush gets a bail out.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1