Oregon Crusaders to World Class

Oregon Crusaders did very well at Premils this year, passing several World Class Corps. Should they join the ranks of World Class?

Curious about OC. Oregon is a state where competitive HS marching band is not emphasized -- or so I'm told by several HS band directors in Oregon. In much of Oregon, marching band is an afterthought at best, while symphonic and jazz bands get the attention. In Oregon, HS wind ensembles compete for a state championship. A HS in Bend, for example, touts that it is the "state champion" band for its size classification. They won that championship on the stage, not the field.

Maybe Oregon HS competitive marching band is more widespread than I know. Yet it's curious that a borderline world-class drum corps would take root in such a place. What's in the water in Oregon?

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

For me, I'd like to see them stay in OC for at least 1 more year and then follow the Academy/PC/Mandarin tour model for a few years before they start out on a full tour.

Whichever direction they choose, I wish them nothing but luck.

• Like 2

I agree with the above people. They could hold their own competitively, but that doesn't mean they could do it financially (Teal Sound and Jersey Surf come to mind)

Teal Sound pretty much beat Surf every time in their 2 years together in World Class, but Surf is the one still around, since they have stayed financially stable and kept their limited schedule with a shorter spring training and taking 1-2 weeks off in the middle.

If Oregon doesn't have the money to get from Oregon, then through San Antonio/Texas/Allentown before going to Indy, that's completely reasonable. That's a major part of the World Class tour they couldn't skip, and it's definitely much easier for them to not go through Texas on the way to Indianapolis.

The talk is now that there will no longer be open class. thumbdown.gif

I miss having 3 divisions.

Wait, what? How would that work?