DCI '88

That depends - what is your conspiracy theory over the Scouts' win?

Here is MY conspiracy theory...

That was the year that someone came up with the bright idea that the top 5 corps going into finals would choose numbered cards that would represent their finals night order. As Madison's drum major stood there dazed and confused, not knowing which card to pick, one of the girls points to one, and VOILA, NUMBER ELEVEN. And number 12 went to the defending champion, who had no chance of winning that year. Of course, BD and SCV went on eighth and ninth.

SCV should've won that year.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Husband and I took a drum corps vacation that year from California. We got to see several different shows with SCV and BD in them. Not too many Madison shows if I recall correctly.

My take on '88 is this. BD was totally awesome every show we saw them in. However, on finals night they seemed flat to me compared to all the other times I had seen them. It's hard to explain. Maybe they had peaked emotionally earlier and just went through the motions finals night. It was almost like they were "too perfect" if that can be a downfall.. Anyway, "Something" was missing to me. Wish I could put my finger on it.

Madisons show to me was in two parts. The first part was wow! The second part was WOW!!! I knew that they had a chance to win because of the second half of their show. It was enough so that no one remembered the first half. So to me, compared to SCVs "total package" of a show, Madison made everyone stand up and notice them with their totally awesome second half. Especially the judges.

I absolutely Love '88 Phantom of the Opera. I like it better than '89 story telling wise. It was so emotional! Everything seemed to go well with it. From the First opening tune (and I would like to nominate THAT opener as one of the best ) To the beginning of the ending with Christene and her Red Cape blowing gently in the wind then the horns melding into "Music of the Night". The disapearance of the Phantom was perfect and then the Corps "melting"away into the field. Whew...too much.

So yeah, emotionally I think that SCV took it because I think that it was a "total package". I'm not a judge though and they thought that Madison won. Thems the breaks.

I am happy for Madison that they did take one though because I have always loved that corps and our ties go waaayy back.

That depends - what is your conspiracy theory over the Scouts' win?

Here is MY conspiracy theory...

That was the year that someone came up with the bright idea that the top 5 corps going into finals would choose numbered cards that would represent their finals night order. As Madison's drum major stood there dazed and confused, not knowing which card to pick, one of the girls points to one, and VOILA, NUMBER ELEVEN. And number 12 went to the defending champion, who had no chance of winning that year. Of course, BD and SCV went on eighth and ninth.

SCV should've won that year.

Why does what card they picked matter anyway? Madison won semifinals too (by a larger margin than finals) and would have gone on in that place anyway. Change the position BD and Cavaliers went on, and you have the right order anyway.

I think if the audience would have known that Madison won semis, the crowd response might have been even more nuts, and might have given them an even greater advantage (you know what that adrenaline rush is like when the crowd is going bonkers)...

I marched in DCI Finals in Kansas City in 1988, with the Santa Clara Vanguard.  We beat the Blue Devils.  We lost to the Madison Scouts.

Yeah Rich,

I remember that year the nice bond we had with the Scouts, like when we did you'll never walk alone with them in that fieldhouse in Seiverville, TN because the weather was so bad. Folks got a real treat that night.

I also remember standing out with the other contras at retreat, and hearing, "At least it was Scouts and not Devils." We all seemed cool with it.

You mentioned getting spanked, and this is weirdly off topic, but for years I remembered getting our clocks cleaned at the first show we did with Dev's. I remembered clear as a bell it was like, a twelve point difference, we got crushed, right?

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I went on CorpsReps and looked up the scores for that year, and lo and behold, it was only THREE points! And after we went our own way, we won every other show that year, until the end of course.

It's funny what we carry with us all these years later. For me, mainly just images, just a few real specifics. Anyways, just seemed like the right time to bring it up. See ya bro.

Jeff Banyots

p.s. Nice to see you switched to the dark side, horn wise I mean! Woof!

J

Word, Jeff!

Yeah, we had quite a bond with the Scouts that year, got to meet many of them. Playing our shows together in Sevierville (as you've already reminisced) and at least one joint run of "You'll Never Walk Alone" in parking lot after a show (forget which one), and last but not least our SHARED free day in New Orleans! Yeah, it was amusing that the chief emotional reaction on SCV member's faces after losing the title by two tenths was........amusement/laughter! We FINALLY reached our almost unattainable goal of beating the Blue Devils, and had actually assumed that by reaching that goal we would unquestionably seal the title! It was funny that we finally beat BD and DIDN'T win. Go figure LOL!

BTW: Am LOVIN the wonderful world of contrabass............I only use french horns for spittoons now!!

i think that SCV had the complete GE/performance package in 88. Wow...talk about a show!

Madison was very entertaining, and clean, but i just think SCV's show had that magic that put it over the top.

BD was a powerhouse all season, but they peaked too early and came out flat. Thatll kill you at the big dance. i still like the show a lot though.

SCV 97.6

Scouts 97.1

BD 96.8

BTW:  Am LOVIN the wonderful world of contrabass............I only use french horns for spittoons now!!

Why fench horns bugles and not, say sops?

That ten inch bell makes it easier to hit!

hwachhhhhcck...spfft.................................DING

Jeff

p.s.

For those of you who aren't here in the room with me to hear the sound effect live, that is a written approximation of the sound of my sound effect of spitting into a french horn bugle, or as is known in Contra circles, "spitoon".

p.s.s.

It should also be noted that this only applies to players of a contrabass bugle, not the modern replacement, the "tuba". They wouldn't dare be so crass as to say "bugle".

J

Edited by JeffBanyots

That whole "draw for performace order" was a bunch of crap. My personal opinion is that is VK had not hat to go on 1st, they would have place higher. That was a top 5 corps. (except for the visual).

The members felt, "here's DCI trashing us again" not giving the credit due. Which is why there was a lot of member turnover from 88-89. They all went up north, to the "more respectable" corps. Pretty much the begining of the end.

Hey VK... I thought that Phantom went first at 88 Finals. I am pretty certain of it. I know, because we went second, and felt the same way (that we may have placed higher had we gone on later).

Anyway, just thought that was the order, could be wrong.

This is a little long...

Order of Appearance

Prelims

1. Regiment Cadets...2. Mandarins..3. Kavaliers...4. Black Gold...5. N. Aurora

6. Ventures...7. L'Insolite...8. Beatrix...9. British Crusaders...10. Glassmen

11. Colts...12.Boston...13. Maruaders...14. Troopers...15. QCKnights...16. DBoy

17. F Wave...18. Crossmen...19. Freelancers...20. BK...21. Spartans

Semi-Finals

1. Ventures...2. Spartans...3. Glassmen...4. QCKnights...5. L'Insolite...6. Colts

7. BK...8. Marauders...9. Troopers...10. Boston...11. FWave...12. Freelancers

13. Crossmen...14.Dutch Boy...15. VK...16. Cadets...17. Vanguard...

18. Regiment...19. Cavaliers...20. Indiana...21. Atlanta...22. Scouts...23. BD

24. Suncoast...25. Bluecoats...26. Ryders

Finals

1. VK... 2. Suncoast...3. Regiment...4. Spirit...5. Ryders...6. Indiana...

7. Bluecoats 8. Devils...9. Vanguard...10. Cavaliers...11. Scouts...12. Cadets

Go Devils,

Gregg

w/Stp:

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks!

Man, I don't even remember going on so late at prelims! And I am quite sure that I NEVER knew that we went on right after BD. ####.