DCI '88

I forget, how did they determine the corps' order of appearance in 1988? Wasn't it a blind draw? Did this make for less "bias"?

They took the top 12, then separated the top 5. The DMs pulled a big numbered card out of a big envelope, and the number was the order. The bottom 7 picked from 1-7, and the top five pulled from 8-12. At the end of Semis, the top 12 knew they were in the top 12, and the top 5 knew they were in the top 5, but they didn't know where. Did it work to create more drama and reduce "bias" - probably too well, since they never did it again!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a great year. I remember that night with SCV in TN. It was one of the greatest moments that year! We also played our shows for each other.

I idolized SCV during my years with the Jr. Scouts. They were the best, regardless of placement. During 1988, SCV acted with class and grace during the entire season, including finals. The posts by those who marched that year (on this thread) illustrate that class. No sour grapes. No attempt to take away another groups accomplishment. I admire those qualities above all.

I've read so many people state that we shouldn't have won - however, most of them appear to not have seen the show live. You can't judge a competition off a video tape or dvd.

As far as the person who commented on the 1st 1/2 of our show being unmemorable, I disagree. The show was a total package because it built from beginning to end. The crowd knew Malaguena was coming when we turned back field and the excitement grew. Our opener was much more technically difficult than Malaguena and was exciting in its own right.

We had 12 great performances that year, especially the top 3. I don't agree that BD was flat, they just didn't have the visual demand to keep up with SCV or us. Give it another week or two, and I venture to say Cavies and Garfield would have passed them too. It was a great year! That's for sure!

I've read so many people state that we shouldn't have won - however, most of them appear to not have seen the show live. You can't judge a competition off a video tape or dvd.

As far as the person who commented on the 1st 1/2 of our show being unmemorable, I disagree. The show was a total package because it built from beginning to end. The crowd knew Malaguena was coming when we turned back field and the excitement grew. Our opener was much more technically difficult than Malaguena and was exciting in its own right.

We had 12 great performances that year, especially the top 3. I don't agree that BD was flat, they just didn't have the visual demand to keep up with SCV or us. Give it another week or two, and I venture to say Cavies and Garfield would have passed them too. It was a great year! That's for sure!

Yes, Yes, Yes - This is right on the money.

I had the distinct pleasure of Madison '88 as the first open class corps I saw live - in my 3rd corps performance ever in Rockford, Il. This was before they went to Europe, and I knew then they were going to contend. Even that early in the year, the power blew me away like few shows have.

Also, the point about BD was right on. They weren't flat, but their drill was nowhere near as complex as the Scouts, only Garfield (and I can say that legally!) came close in that department. The phrase "If we just had two more weeks" really applied in their case, since their execution was impeccable, but the GE lacked - it didn't have enough for the average fan to "dig", and lacked the "grabbers" they had in '87. (Of course, going on after the Scouts didn't leave the crowd with a whole lot of adrenaline or oxygen for that matter - it was like the scene in Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" where the Orca-fat man eats 3 tons of food, and then refuses the mint wafer, and well, you know the rest!)

I would have hated to be a judge that night - such good performances, and the randomization of performance order really hampered "slotting". The top 4 corps were within a point of each other...it's too bad they don't try that again! Sure made for a memorable rookie year for me.

I thought the two best designed drills in 1988 were Cavies and SCV. Both were brilliant. Our design was good and obviously suited to our needs. All drills of the top 6 were more difficult than BD's and that's what did them in ultimately. BD was awesome that year and at finals. I remember when we first saw them (I think we lost by 6) - I never thought we'd even get close to them. They blew me away. However, they had a show that allowed them to be passed up. A week earlier - they would have been champions, a week later - they could have been 5th.

Thanx for your comments...it definitely was a dream come true. Looking back on it, I think they got the captions right.

Visual - Madison, Cavies, then SCV

Brass - BD, Garfield, then Madison

GE - SCV, Madison (this could have been switched)

PERC - SCV, Garfield (I think), Madison

SCV was down in 5th in brass and that proved to be the big difference. Nevertheless, it was one of my favorite SCV shows. Just breathtaking. I wouldn't have shed a tear if they won (I wanted them to 85-87), and it was certainly an honor to be in their company.

Edited by gellio

As far as the person who commented on the 1st 1/2 of our show being unmemorable, I disagree.  The show was a total package because it built from beginning to end.  The crowd knew Malaguena was coming when we turned back field and the excitement grew.  Our opener was much more technically difficult than Malaguena and was exciting in its own right. 

We had 12 great performances that year, especially the top 3.  I don't agree that BD was flat, they just didn't have the visual demand to keep up with SCV or us.  Give it another week or two, and I venture to say Cavies and Garfield would have passed them too.  It was a great year!  That's for sure!

Um, that person was me and I don't mind if you mention me. Sometimes I wish I had the vocabulary to express what I mean. Hopefully I didn't insult you too much with my comments on Madison.

The first half of Madisons show was "wow!". Impressive NOT unmemorable. Now if per chance you guys didn't have the second half that was "WOW!!!", I don't think you would have won. But, you did have that awesome second half and you DID win! Just remember this was a long time ago and I can only go on what feelings and impressions I remember from way back when.

I'm also not good at judging the "technical" side of a show and lack the expertice in noticing if something is more "technically difficult" than something else. I base my opinions on what I think is a clean and emotionally packed show. SCVs show was emotionally packed from beginning to end, IMHO, the best of the night.

As for BDs show, I think they came into finals undefeated right? I'm wondering if you saw their show that night because I would think that you would have been with your Corps warming up.

So with that in mind I would have to disagree that BD didn't have the visual. I think it was one of the most visualy enhanced shows that I remember ever seeing them do. There was just "something" missing that night and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe the term "flat" isn't accurate. If anyone else has the words for it help me out here. I know what I "felt" when I watched their show and It must be true because look where they ended up.

Anyway, '88, a great year all the way around. The title could have gone to anyone and THAT makes for a memorable finals. Looks like that may be the case again this year and MAN am I excited. Good luck to everyone!

As far as the person who commented on the 1st 1/2 of our show being unmemorable, I disagree.  The show was a total package because it built from beginning to end.  The crowd knew Malaguena was coming when we turned back field and the excitement grew.  Our opener was much more technically difficult than Malaguena and was exciting in its own right. 

We had 12 great performances that year, especially the top 3.  I don't agree that BD was flat, they just didn't have the visual demand to keep up with SCV or us.  Give it another week or two, and I venture to say Cavies and Garfield would have passed them too.  It was a great year!  That's for sure!

Um, that person was me and I don't mind if you mention me. Sometimes I wish I had the vocabulary to express what I mean. Hopefully I didn't insult you too much with my comments on Madison.

The first half of Madisons show was "wow!". Impressive NOT unmemorable. Now if per chance you guys didn't have the second half that was "WOW!!!", I don't think you would have won. But, you did have that awesome second half and you DID win! Just remember this was a long time ago and I can only go on what feelings and impressions I remember from way back when.

I'm also not good at judging the "technical" side of a show and lack the expertice in noticing if something is more "technically difficult" than something else. I base my opinions on what I think is a clean and emotionally packed show. SCVs show was emotionally packed from beginning to end, IMHO, the best of the night.

As for BDs show, I think they came into finals undefeated right? I'm wondering if you saw their show that night because I would think that you would have been with your Corps warming up.

So with that in mind I would have to disagree that BD didn't have the visual. I think it was one of the most visualy enhanced shows that I remember ever seeing them do. There was just "something" missing that night and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe the term "flat" isn't accurate. If anyone else has the words for it help me out here. I know what I "felt" when I watched their show and It must be true because look where they ended up.

Anyway, '88, a great year all the way around. The title could have gone to anyone and THAT makes for a memorable finals. Looks like that may be the case again this year and MAN am I excited. Good luck to everyone!

No, no...I wasn't insulted in the least. I would agree that Malaguena was definitely the highlight of the show - by far. It was my favorite part too. I didn't like the opener for a long time, in fact.

I didn't see anyone perform that night. I did see BD a few times during the year. The visual design was good (although not as good as the other top 6 corps - Phantom's was wonderful I might add), but it lacked difficulty and thus peaked early. I would rate SCV's as the most difficult. I can tell you that I don't think BD's performance (on the dvd) is anything less than spectacular, powerful, and awesome! It's one of my favorite BD shows. They did come in undefeated, and we beat them by 1.2 in Semis.

SCV's show, I'm sure was emotional, based on the dvd. I didn't see it live. I remember them turning towards us, and blasting Music of the Night, before they passed in review. It sent chills down my spin and so does the memory of it. Just gorgeous. Everything about that show was spectacular.

It was a great year - I love the entire top 12. Suncoast rocked, Spirit was so different - yet I loved it, and Phantom's show was beautiful (their best visual product ever - IMO, except for the staging of the guard). I liked Star as well, because I see that year as the birth of their deadly brassline.

I'm definitely glad we came out on top and I am equally glad that I got to pass in review of SCV in 1989.

This discussion reminds me of '89, when we had three '88 SCV guard members with us (they cut the guys for '89). One, I became very good friends with. Another (who marched Cavies before SCV) took every opportunity to say that we didn't deserve to win. He would repeatedly comment that everyone he knew in BD, agreed that SCV should have won, and we should have been third. I had to laugh this off. Seeing how BD treated SCV in June when Star was out there and within 0.8 of SCV and knowing their rivalry, I don't think even under the most extreme torture, a member of '88 BD would say SCV should have won, or us for that matter. One time - I wanted to punch his lights out. We were sitting around the gym making up drum corps trivia questions. His first one was, "who won finals last year and should have been third?" Pretty gutsy statement. The third (the Phantom from '88 and who does a #### good impression of Sandra from 227 I might add), would always rebuff the second by saying, "I was just glad we didn't get forth." He said that Gail told the corps (SCV) to watch out for us before finals that year! Those were good times....even if someone was constantly trying to take away your accomplishment! :)

I don't like getting into discussions on years that I don't quite agree with (title wise), because it's hard to not take it personal when people constantly say that you didn't deserve one of the happiest moments of your life.

Edited by gellio

But I will reiterate what I've said may times before: SCV '88's "Music of the Night" was my favorite closer of all time. It still makes my scalp tingle to this day!

But I will reiterate what I've said may times before: SCV '88's "Music of the Night" was my favorite closer of all time. It still makes my scalp tingle to this day!

Although it's probably not my favorite (that would be SCV 2000), it was really something. Imagine hearing that, at full volume, about ten feet from your head. It was really something!