Miccing a marimba and vibraphone

MikeD

If you have Yamaha boards Randall May makes an attachment to do this, but it is very expensive.

I've just always used the bungee cord method. Never had any issues.

Link: http://www.audixusa.com/public_12/audix_uploads/Audix_AMPED_UP3.pdf

If you have Yamaha boards Randall May makes an attachment to do this, but it is very expensive.

I've just always used the bungee cord method. Never had any issues.

Link: http://www.audixusa.com/public_12/audix_uploads/Audix_AMPED_UP3.pdf

Yeah, soon after I posted I found this pdf! Thanks!

I am going to give it a shot!

Mike

Is there a company that sells hardware to hang mics underneath a marimba and vibraphone? I usually jury-rig something using duct tape and hangers on the frame, but I would like to find something a little more professional looking.

Thanks,

Mike

You can hang mics under a vibraphone, but there's really no reason to do it with a marimba other than for appearance. Since the sound you're amplifying is reflected (from the resonators bouncing off the floor/field), it's fine mounting microphones on the frame. You can use any claw to do this. Honestly, I'd to it with vibes as well, but your mileage may vary.

You can hang mics under a vibraphone, but there's really no reason to do it with a marimba other than for appearance. Since the sound you're amplifying is reflected (from the resonators bouncing off the floor/field), it's fine mounting microphones on the frame. You can use any claw to do this. Honestly, I'd to it with vibes as well, but your mileage may vary.

I personally will tell you NOT to use a claw for mounting a mic on any keyboard instrument, unless you are using a REAL shockmount. You're going to get tons of frame noise.

As to whether to mic over or under for a marimba, yes, you're going to get a better sound with an overhead, but you're also going to get more of the band/corps/cymbals in your audio mix.

The band I work with has gone from placing all mics under keyboards in 2010 (with claws), to micing overhead with boom arms in 2011, to micing under the boards with a rope/turnbuckle/shockmount system.

We aren't using bungees, but instead we're using heavy duty rope (think rock climbing). We have the rope attached to both ends of the frame and there is a metal turnbuckle in the middle so we can adjust the tension of the rope. We then took PVC pipe and created shockmounts that can slide along the rope into whatever position we want. We then zip tied all of the mic cables to the frames. This helps not only from a look standpoint, but it helps keep the shockmount in the position that we want it to be in.

There is absolutely NO frame noise with this system.

Whatever you decide to do, don't use SM57's or any other cheap dynamic mic. Get yourself some basic pencil condenser mics. Sam Ash sells an excellent pair of Samson mics for $140 that sound great of marimbas (they're good enough for a certain perennial top 5 corps to use)

I personally will tell you NOT to use a claw for mounting a mic on any keyboard instrument, unless you are using a REAL shockmount. You're going to get tons of frame noise.

As to whether to mic over or under for a marimba, yes, you're going to get a better sound with an overhead, but you're also going to get more of the band/corps/cymbals in your audio mix.

The band I work with has gone from placing all mics under keyboards in 2010 (with claws), to micing overhead with boom arms in 2011, to micing under the boards with a rope/turnbuckle/shockmount system.

I always micced on top, up until last year. I had two booms mounted to the ends of each instrument that I adjusted to mic the low end of each instrument as well as the mid-range.

I set up the bungee thing with a plumbing O-ring last night after practice...we'll see how it sounds this Thursday at practice. Again, I mic the low end of each plus the mid-range area.

I know what you mean by picking up ambient noise of other instruments...we set up a stand mic for our featured flute soloist in the ballad, and it was picking up traps stuff, so I moved it away from the pit completely...it makes her stand out more as well.

We use a gibraltar clamp on the leg,run a pipe from it to the center under with a rubber insulator to hold the the handheld mic.The mallet bag in front of the player reduces the extra sounds from behind the player.The player also wears a lapel mic,mid chest, to pick up the sounds from where they are playing.

You can make a shockmount from PVC. Get a diameter PVC pipe that gives you about 3/4 to an 1 inch of space on all side of the mic when yu place the mic inside. Cut the pipe to a length about 2 inches shorter than the mic, enoguh for the mic to be inside the pipe with the head sticking out. Cut out half the middle of the pipe. You don't really have to do this, I just find it easier to mount this way. Then on each end notch out two small grooves 90 degrees apart and attach rubber bands across the dianmeter of the pipes at each end. This will make a cross pattern. Then take to mic and wedge it in between the rubber bands. The mic should be suspended inside the pipe by the rubber bands. I take a couple of zip ties and tie the shockmount to the frame of the keyboard.