Miccing a marimba and vibraphone

MikeD

A trick I've seen used from time to time for outdoor is similar to DAvery's method, but actually keeps the entire mic head inside the PVC. This creates a solid wind shield for the mic, and only allows sound coming from above to be picked up by the mic. I haven't used that method myself, but others I've talked to swear by it.

You can make a shockmount from PVC. Get a diameter PVC pipe that gives you about 3/4 to an 1 inch of space on all side of the mic when yu place the mic inside. Cut the pipe to a length about 2 inches shorter than the mic, enoguh for the mic to be inside the pipe with the head sticking out. Cut out half the middle of the pipe. You don't really have to do this, I just find it easier to mount this way. Then on each end notch out two small grooves 90 degrees apart and attach rubber bands across the dianmeter of the pipes at each end. This will make a cross pattern. Then take to mic and wedge it in between the rubber bands. The mic should be suspended inside the pipe by the rubber bands. I take a couple of zip ties and tie the shockmount to the frame of the keyboard.

I almost bought PVC piping, but I figured I'd try the Raider's version first. The above sounds like a great approach too.

...Plus I did not have the mics with me at Lowes to measure the PVC! :smile: