Spirit of Atlanta's exhibition on the day Jim Ott died

I think this posting has run its course. Not sure if anything more can be said. I appreciate the posting of the video and the tribute that has ensued for Jim Ott. I, for one, have learned more about this man's contribution to our activity as result.

In an activity that involves thousands of people travelling on highways every summer to live their dream, I think it's incredible and fortunate that so few other incidents have occurred in the span of this activity.

This tribute to someone who affected so many other people speaks volumes about how this activity touches so many.

We argue about who is the best and why corps don't do as well as they should have.

In the end, this shows how all of that means nothing and that the journey along the way is the biggest reward.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I was a member of that corps in 1980 and performed that night in Memphis, TN. I played Soprano bugle. There are no words to describe how I felt going onto the field. Like Bob Clark said, we were determined to perform and stay on tour, but I personally doubted I could ever get through it. To this day, it is one of the most difficult things I have had to do in my life. When we turned around to warm up, and instead of seeing Jim as always, Freddy was in the stands to warm us up, the gasps that my fellow corps member let out only added to my sadness. During the show, I could hear people all around me crying, gasping, and see people passing out. In "Let It Be Me" when I heard that ambulance and saw it going down the track, I felt a sudden panic that I can't describe. I have watched this video of our performance at Memphis one time and was simply floored that I could have felt so sad and thinking every note "I can't make it... how am I going to make it through this? Please Dear Heavenly Father and Lord, help me." I could not wait to get off the field so I could cry like a baby. I can't believe how amazing we sound when none of us could hardly play due to crying so hard..... Only by the grace of God did I get through it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daniel Webster had once defined the word courage as "grace under pressure". The Spirit of Atlanta certainly proved him right.

• Like 1

Daniel Webster had once defined the word courage as "grace under pressure". The Spirit of Atlanta certainly proved him right.

In my opinion, having been there and a part of Spirit of Atlanta 1980, with all the emotional stress and events of that day, if we had been told we were going to be in competition that night... I don't think I personally would have accepted or agreed with that due to the fact that we were all in a state of grief and unbelief. It took all I had just to get through that day much less think about being competitive.... afterall, relationship and people are more important than competition. (Other Spirit of Atlanta members and staff from 1980 - am I on target here?)

• Like 1

In my opinion, having been there and a part of Spirit of Atlanta 1980, with all the emotional stress and events of that day, if we had been told we were going to be in competition that night... I don't think I personally would have accepted or agreed with that due to the fact that we were all in a state of grief and unbelief. It took all I had just to get through that day much less think about being competitive.... afterall, relationship and people are more important than competition. (Other Spirit of Atlanta members and staff from 1980 - am I on target here?)

This is one of those things where you had to be there to understand.

The exhibition was exactly the right thing to do, no more, no less.

• Like 3

This is one of those things where you had to be there to understand.

The exhibition was exactly the right thing to do, no more, no less.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 9/12/2012 at 3:57 PM, Michael Boo said:

How on earth did those kids make it through that in one piece?

That is beyond awesome.

I was one of those kids and still don't know how except by Divine Intervention.  I have no memory of that standing ovation after Sweet Georgia Brown... nor of anything except praying to be able to make it through and do so in a way that would honor Jim and his music.

• Like 2