Full Time Careers in Drum Corps?

Ch1k3n

Probably the only people that make a career out of it are the show designers themselves. The best of them can make really good money writing for drum corps and high school bands. But it takes a ton of skill to break into the business and make it to the highest levels.

or some directors

I never said anything about not having quality. To summarize my points:

1. One needs not have gobs and gobs of money and/or a huge staff, a big entourage, lots of travel, meetings, media and press, etc. to start a drum corps (I did everything by myself with what I had).

2. This is also a standpoint for if one wants to have a career in drum corps and start somewhere (as the original poster asked about)

3. One WON'T start out like the Cavaliers (I think it’s nearly impossible anyway), hence, one has to do things on a much much much smaller scale.

4. It seems to be a bigger headache doing everything like DCI as an organization anyway. I’d rather keep things simple and I bet if I were managing DCI I’m sure it need not be as hard pressed as they’re making it.

5. Yes, quality is good (and what I had again wasn’t Blue Devils or even the top 17, but it was drum corps style, enjoyable to lead, enjoyable to watch, enjoyable to hear, and that was good enough for me and a lot of people). We always strived for quality but were still realistic too.

6. Most importantly, be creative, make it fun, make it your own from the standpoint of saying "this is what I'd like to see in DCI," and see it for what it is and what it’s worth.

7. Keep going with it and build as time goes on with what you have or with what little bit you might have.

So anyway, that’s my 2 cents on this whole deal.

I did 'not' say start out at the competitive or financial level of the World Class Ring Winning Cavaliers or the Blue Devils. What I did say is that if a group is going to start out today (in DCI) instead of SDCA, DCNA, or as a local parade unit, they should model themselves after The Academy and how that corps started out (in DCI). DCI is no longer the venue for "let's have some fun with some kids on a shoe string"; the venue of DCI in the 21st century is the top level of the drum corps activity; even the Open Class today demands a high level of quality, high financial responsibility/accountability , and 365 days per year commitment. Like it or not, those corps which cannot keep up with those demands will not survive in DCI; and that is why if you want to start a "let's have some fun with some kids on a shoe string" type corps it needs to be done in SDCA, DCNA, or as a local parade unit.

I think Stu's comments may be influenced by the fact that this is the "DCI World Class Corps Discussion" forum, so in theory we should be at least including that aspect in the discussion.

If there is any conflict in what you are saying, it is just at the point where a small 'homebuilt' drum corps would decide to go the DCI route. Would it be a help to already have the small infrastructure in place or would it actually hurt, given the different mindset and skill sets of such an organization. Answer: It doesn't really matter, because in the real world most successful DCI level corps tend to increase gradually as member skills, management skills and money also increase gradually. In other words, while a DIY corps wouldn't be in a position to attempt to field a DCI corps as part of say a 'five year plan', a jump from one to the other wouldn't be the goal anyway. Just take everything up a notch each year and see how it goes. Again, if that were the goal, which we not really assuming but are saying it is given our presence in this forum.

• Like 1

I think Stu's comments may be influenced by the fact that this is the "DCI World Class Corps Discussion" forum

Yes; sort of. My thoughts would also be the same if this were discussed in the "DCI Open Class Corps Discussion" forum. The model to follow in creating a corps (to exist within DCI) should be to stay fiscally responsible and either a) emulate a corps like the Academy and follow their path in how they entered DCI, or b) build a strong successful WGI guard, then a strong successful WGI drumline, and then build a strong successful DCI corps. Doing it by throwing together a shoe-string group is fine for a community enhancement program, or something for SDCA or DCNA, but not DCI whether WC or OC.

• Like 1

You are my new hero! That's an awesome drum corps story. If there were a marching arts speaking circuit, you'd make big bucks with that!

Maybe DCP could start a Drum Corps Stories section of the website. People could submit their stories for approval. If approved, they would be added to the collection. You would have to flesh out the story of course and give details and polish. Anyway, thanks for the great story!

Of course, to scale it up you would have needed a reliable income stream, which is the big trick in drum corps. But then again, who says you had to scale it up? It seems like you were having a pretty good time as you were. Who knows, you might have ended up with your own little Canadian Brass.

Thanks you

I did 'not' say start out at the competitive or financial level of the World Class Ring Winning Cavaliers or the Blue Devils. What I did say is that if a group is going to start out today (in DCI) instead of SDCA, DCNA, or as a local parade unit, they should model themselves after The Academy and how that corps started out (in DCI). DCI is no longer the venue for "let's have some fun with some kids on a shoe string"; the venue of DCI in the 21st century is the top level of the drum corps activity; even the Open Class today demands a high level of quality, high financial responsibility/accountability , and 365 days per year commitment. Like it or not, those corps which cannot keep up with those demands will not survive in DCI; and that is why if you want to start a "let's have some fun with some kids on a shoe string" type corps it needs to be done in SDCA, DCNA, or as a local parade unit.

I just went and looked up SDCA and that sounds like a good idea that they have there and I think if I had a drum corps now, I’d think I’d rather put my corps into something like that instead of DCI. It seems like DCI is getting more close minded in many ways. And I think corps need that ability to be flexible, etc. and the ability to do what they do, be original, be themselves, etc. It would be cool to see some of their shows.

I just went and looked up SDCA and that sounds like a good idea that they have there and I think if I had a drum corps now, I’d think I’d rather put my corps into something like that instead of DCI. It seems like DCI is getting more close minded in many ways. And I think corps need that ability to be flexible, etc. and the ability to do what they do, be original, be themselves, etc. It would be cool to see some of their shows.

Alrighty then; now if you would want to implement your drum corps ideas in this SDCA venue, and you think that particular venue represents what you call drum corps, then I would say go for it!!!! However, I disagree with you about DCI being close minded. DCI is no more closed minded about 'high quality' 'best of the best' youth oriented drum corps than the Little League World Series is closed minded about 'high quality' 'best of the best' youth baseball.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

If you see DCI as representatives of the junior drum corps activity, then you will see them as closed minded. But, if you see DCI as a particular league of drum corps contests, as in effect the elite junior drum corps circuit, then their behavior and attitude is consistent. Note that their slogan is Marching Music's Major League. It's just one league, not the entire activity.

I fell victim to the first model until recently, and had similar issues. Now I take DCI for what it is and don't expect more from it (although it does deliver more with clinics that I believe are not exclusive to DCI corps, and possibly other events). I think DCI is awesome. But if you want to explore new territory with your drum corps, the SDCA sounds like it could be the way to go, although I don't know enough about that organization to say for sure.

• Like 1

I've often had this idea of a drum and bugle corps performing in the style of a big band orchestra, complete with that facade thing that goes along in front. These days that could be made with foam-core. You'd have to fit that on the truck along with a bunch of folding chairs. And an elevated platform for the back row. Everything would need to be easily transportable. And of course, the percussion instruments would still need to be made portable when necessary (parades).

..... as I'm sure most of the instructors are volunteers.

Well......no. Actually, that isn't TECHNICALLY true....though.......errr......uhhhh.....let me elaborate as I respond to one of your other posts.

Edited by drumcorpsdrummerman2012