HS marching band show controversy

High school marching band raises controversy with hammers and sickles

I remember SCV ending their "Miss Saigon" show with a giant unveiling of a hammer and sickle that offended some outspoken people. But would the controversy currently being stirred up by some parents and media also be a factor with drum corps?

Are political sensibilities too hot to handle with shows that aren't meant to offend some values or praise controversial ideals?

(Please, let's not make this into a political discussion of real or perceived biases of certain media outlets. The mods will close it down if that happens.)

I believe this is a legitimate issue that could possibly sneak up on some designers who don't anticipate such a reaction. What are your thoughts?

SCV 2005 had more than enough Soviet imagery, and that's a great show I don't remember anyone complaining about.

Because this is a public school supported [i'm assuming] by local taxpayers, each feels he/she can scrutinize use of those funds including the theme of a marching ensemble.

I would guess that the New Oxford community would not object to a number of "controversial" American themes however.....

at least the one person who called Fox news would be satisfied.

Guess the band staff there will be getting pre-approval in the future.

local TV story

Yeah down the road from me and in my Alumni corps area. Mikes link is the Hanover, PA paper Here is the link to the local TV stations website. Caught the film report (more informative) last night on this station and sounds like the visual image of the hammer&sickle plus the uniforms were the big problem. Also no idea just how many people complained. May one BIG squeaky wheel getting waaay too much attention and others jumped on....

Should be a good topic of conversation at practice this weekend.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It took only "one" person to make a complaint???

It even made the U.K. Daily Mail (and the story has nothing to do with Honey Boo Boo, who is dating who, and who Simon Cowell went to dinner with).

U.K. Daily Mail

Gotta love the people who slam and never saw the show. Grove City is at the other end of the state and IIRC correctly the college there lost federal funding because they weren't following federal guideline sfor diversity or something (can't remember, been a while). Funny who no LOCAL reports said anything about glorifing the Russian Revolution.

Just remembered New Oxford is close to the Dover, PA school district that banned teaching of evolution a few years back. Big expense court case that the School District lost to tune of $1M costs. School board got voted out and people like Pat Robinson said that proved the SD was "evil". Of course the LOCAL reports concentrated on the anger of the tax increase needed to pay for the lawsuits (which the school board was warned they would lose anyway). And the out of town reports concetrated on the hot button issue which the locals weren't really concerned about.

Edit: Just saw something funny about the Daily Mail article. The band show is actually about the Russian composer and his name isn't even in the article. Well nothing about the show is in the article either. :doh:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1