HS marching band show controversy

Spirit 91 and the Civil War Show...and hey how about Bridgemen 80...the circus with animals being forced to dance against their will, promoting...uh...vice with the..uh..."ladies" in Winnetka, then their Civil War where they couldn't evenhave the right side win!

then violence with the football game at the end!

Gasp! The Civil War? I can see it now - HS band forced to remove grey from their "The Blue and the Grey" show.

Come on guys. Don't you remember when the Bridgemen did the Civil War routine? They originally designed it so that the North won the battle, but when they had to travel south of the mason-dixon lo and behold the Confederates emerged victorious. Great boulderdash I wonder why. :tongue:

You do have a point, but since that time we have seen extremist groups arise and use the Confederate flag a symbol. It did please audiences back in the day but today it might feel uncomfortable. Ten years from now all that could change and we'd think "What's the fuss about?" What does and does not offend does seem to come and go.

An early comment here pointed out that HS is a publicly-funded enterprise, which exposes it to taxpayer's wrath (even if it's just one). Very true...

But, but, but...

Drum corps is also publicly-funded as a tax-exempt organization under the rules of a government entity (the IRS). So, logic would suggest that someone could complain about a particular drum corps show design or representation and stop it from taking the field.

Tax exemption is not the same thing as public funding. If it was, you could complain about how I decorate inside my house, as long as I claim a tax deduction for mortgage interest.

However, in the name of historical accuracy, should a high school band construct a show called America 1969 and have the kids on the field at some point shout out, "F*** the Police, F*** the Police" as well as collectively display their middle fingers? It is historically accurate for that movement in America 1969.

Would be more appropriate for an N.W.A. show, actually. smile.gif

• Like 3

I agree with you on not suppressing historical aspects, and that we need to be open to keeping all of the past atrocities or historical movements within the public discourse. However, in the name of historical accuracy, should a high school band construct a show called America 1969 and have the kids on the field at some point shout out, "F*** the Police, F*** the Police" as well as collectively display their middle fingers? It is historically accurate for that movement in America 1969.

No; that year is so culturally rich in so many ways that could be presented:

Although not an American rock group, Led Zeppelin released their first album, and later, The Beatles released "Abbey Road," after giving their last public performance. (Lots of songs to choose from.) Elvis returned to recording. (Ditto.) The first Boeing 747 took off and later that year had it first commercial flight. (I'm thinking back a few years to BDB's show about flying.) The Mariner 6 Mars probe was launched. (A space exploration show.) The river in Cleveland caught fire. (Imagine the long tarp for that.) Apollo 11 lifted off for the first moon landing. ("Fly Me to the Moon.") The first ATM was installed.(Cash flags.) Scooby Doo was launched. (Imagine the costumed characters.) "Sesame Street" premiered. ("The Rainbow Connection, guard dressed in green, cookies on flags.) Lots of potential there without having to resort to flipping off the audience.

Close, but not quite.

Hurcs' color pre in 1972 was based on themes from what were the five major U.N. nations (USA, Soviet Union, Britain, France, China)... and the finale of the color pre was "Impossible Dream."

I thought it was an awesome color presentation production.

I knew it wasn't Bucs. It could still go over well today with some modernization.

I agree with you on not suppressing historical aspects, and that we need to be open to keeping all of the past atrocities or historical movements within the public discourse. However, in the name of historical accuracy, should a high school band construct a show called America 1969 and have the kids on the field at some point shout out, "F*** the Police, F*** the Police" as well as collectively display their middle fingers? It is historically accurate for that movement in America 1969.

why would they want to yell that about Sting, Andy Summers and Stuart Copeland?

:tongue:

• Like 1

You do have a point, but since that time we have seen extremist groups arise and use the Confederate flag a symbol. It did please audiences back in the day but today it might feel uncomfortable. Ten years from now all that could change and we'd think "What's the fuss about?" What does and does not offend does seem to come and go.

you had people with the confederate flag in the back window of their truck covering their gun rack then. it's not just extremists now

Edited by Jeff Ream

Does this mean they would never be able to play 1812 Overture?

Tax exemption is not the same thing as public funding. If it was, you could complain about how I decorate inside my house, as long as I claim a tax deduction for mortgage interest.

I get your point, but a mortgage deduction is to reduce taxes that you'd otherwise owe. 501c3's pay no taxes at all. Although you could say the same thing about "47%" of Americans (it's actually 51%), only 501c orgs are exempt from paying taxes at all such that no fiddling with deductions or exemptions for political reasons would compel them to.

My comment was half in jest but, facts are facts, and drum corps is definately publicly supported by ALL taxpayers by code, unlike some individual taxpayers being supported for political expediancy.