HS marching band show controversy

you had people with the confederate flag in the back window of their truck covering their gun rack then. it's not just extremists now

Was at Charleston, SC back in 1999. Big selling bumper sticker had a CSA flag and something like "It's culture, not bigotry". Thinking about it there are plenty of Southern re-enactors at the Gettysburg 4th of July parade every year. Not only that there are Blacks in with the CSA re-enactors (but not at G-burg that I've seen). And yes, they are historically acurate (long boring story unless you're a offbeat history buff).

Never would have seen that years ago.

Note to mods: Going with an example to TimKs response of times and what offends people change. Not trying to make a political statement.

Edit: Now I think the sticker said "It's Heritage, Not Hate"... but same idea

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Does this mean they would never be able to play 1812 Overture?

only if played backwards with the words "Paul is dead" sampled

• Like 1

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

only if played backwards with the words "Paul is dead" sampled

Remember this one? Complete with nazi flags, swastica drill, and images of hitler to boot!

Remember this one? Complete with nazi flags, swastica drill, and images of hitler to boot!

Don't know how I missed seeing that one before today. That's creepy and impressive all rolled up into one!

I was wondering if the same could happen in drum corps, or perhaps if it couldn't because we aren't high school organizations sanctioned by a community body.

I don't remember the complaint in Drum Corps World, but I had a few people complain to me about the North Vietnamese flag, including a top corps director whose name shall remain anonymous. And there were people around me to refused to stand at the end of the show because of that, which I did not witness earlier in the season before the flag was added in.

We in general do need to be aware of more tender sensitivities, but those with such sensitivities need to be aware that most of us will think they should get a life.

I would remember it Boo, because there is nobody in my small neck of the woods to talk with about drum corps. Back then, reading about it in DCW was all I had.

+++

Michael, would you some minor thread hi-jacking? I was thinking that related to your thoughtful topic, what could DCI do if a corps was truly out of bounds with something?

With the recent NFL ref's strike/lockout and the controversial replacement refs, we heard over and over about how the NFL had to "protect it's brand" and that there was no single element that was bigger than the game itself. DCI has done a wonderful job of "promoting the brand" lately, but if, as you asked, a single corps did something outrageous, would or should DCI step in to "pull" the offending elements from that show?

I would remember it Boo, because there is nobody in my small neck of the woods to talk with about drum corps. Back then, reading about it in DCW was all I had.

+++

Michael, would you [mind] some minor thread hi-jacking? I was thinking that related to your thoughtful topic, what could DCI do if a corps was truly out of bounds with something?

With the recent NFL ref's strike/lockout and the controversial replacement refs, we heard over and over about how the NFL had to "protect it's brand" and that there was no single element that was bigger than the game itself. DCI has done a wonderful job of "promoting the brand" lately, but if, as you asked, a single corps did something outrageous, would or should DCI step in to "pull" the offending elements from that show?

I wouldn't mind at all, nor at any time anyone wishes to do the same. Run with it.

High school marching band raises controversy with hammers and sickles

I remember SCV ending their "Miss Saigon" show with a giant unveiling of a hammer and sickle that offended some outspoken people. But would the controversy currently being stirred up by some parents and media also be a factor with drum corps?

Are political sensibilities too hot to handle with shows that aren't meant to offend some values or praise controversial ideals?

(Please, let's not make this into a political discussion of real or perceived biases of certain media outlets. The mods will close it down if that happens.)

I believe this is a legitimate issue that could possibly sneak up on some designers who don't anticipate such a reaction. What are your thoughts?

All I can say about this is: The beauty of art (whether drum corps, marching band, etc.). even if it could be deemed controversial, as long as it doesn't harm someone, say untrue things, or if one isn't committing a crime or having one commited, then I'd like to see it. I'd say maybe for high school one might have to be more careful, but for drum corps...ahhhhh. A lot of art and music from olden times (like Baroque times), were considered controversial. But today, it isn't. But, this is just my thinking.

Edited by En929