HS marching band show controversy

I believe we had a very large hammer and sickle flag at the end of our opening statement last year at WCU... Our whole show was Russian music... not really a theme though.

I remember when Southern Regional from NJ did a russian show. I'd say they made some bad choices with huge backdrops saying CCCP and I think a painting of Stalin?? That could be false, I'm stretching my memory. I do know that people at TOB ACCs walked out during the middle of their show. The drum majors were even in Soviet military uniforms....

I thought that show went a little over the top. This show currently doesn't sound like a big deal at all.

And here's a drum corps tie-in :

Drill Designer - Gilles Ouellette (Marching Momentum Designs)

Music Arrangements - John Meehan (JKS Music Productions)

We have some corps members working at local schools and checked for one of our guys or gals. Didn't see any familiar names..... :ph34r: at least this time...

Pretty funny to use the music of Shostakovich in a show about the 1917 Russian revolution. He was 11 at the time. Regarding Shostakovich's anti-communism, he was educated in the system and enjoyed the benefits of the government for most of his adult life.

Well, his Second Symphony is titled To October and commemorates the tenth anniversary of the revolution. And his Twelfth Symphony is titled The Year 1917. But he had a very complicated relationship with the communist regime, and was officially denounced more than once.

• Like 1

High school marching band raises controversy with hammers and sickles

I remember SCV ending their "Miss Saigon" show with a giant unveiling of a hammer and sickle that offended some outspoken people. But would the controversy currently being stirred up by some parents and media also be a factor with drum corps?

Are political sensibilities too hot to handle with shows that aren't meant to offend some values or praise controversial ideals?

(Please, let's not make this into a political discussion of real or perceived biases of certain media outlets. The mods will close it down if that happens.)

I believe this is a legitimate issue that could possibly sneak up on some designers who don't anticipate such a reaction. What are your thoughts?

knowing the area helps. Kinda in the middle of nowhere South Central PA, rural district, very conservative area. Sadly it's really only one person making a stink, and the band is ###### good. Quite honestly, if people want to get offended at band shows, they need to look at those shows that are horribly over written and the kids can't handle.

• Like 4

I do not think what the band did was inflammatory nor should the designer and instructors of this program be so accountable after so many other groups including SCV have used this concept before with no repercussions.

After all, this was part of history. History is taught in schools. History is full of moments that we all don`t like.

It`s not like they did `Caligula - The Musical!`

Show designers are always" held accountable" for what they put on the field. If the judges and/ or audiences believe that its a " brilliant " or " crappy " design, they are " held accountable ". They are held " accountable " likewise when they produce a show with political overtones too, be it a political statement on the rise up of slaves, ie " Spartacus ", or a peace symbol formation on the field, or some other political statement. Anytime a show designer puts a show on the field with political, cultural, social, environmental, etc " statements, it is of course subject to acceptance, rejection, or indifference to that statement that is made on the part of the viewing audience. Show Designers are free to put whatever it is they choose out on the field for a show design, and be " held accountable " fully for that show design, good, bad, or indifferent.

Edited by BRASSO

a) You really expect the audience, whether at a football game or a contest, to capture and understand that very subtle nuance?; and b) You really think that marching band/drum corps is a great place to teach academic understandings of historical aspects?

well DCI thinks so. See Dada, 1930...

• Like 1

Show designers are always" held accountable" for what they put on the field. If the judges and/ or audiences believe that its a " brilliant " or " crappy " design, they are " held accountable ". They are held " accountable " likewise when they produce a show with poilitical overtones too, be it a political stament on the rise up of slaves, ie " Spartacus ", or a peace symbol formation on the field. Anytime a show deswigner puts a show on the field with political, cultural, social, environmental, etc " statements, it is of course subject to acceptance, rejection, or indifference to that statement that is made. Show Designers are free to put whatever it is out on the field for a show design, and be " held accountable " fully for that show design, good, bad, or indifferent.

Note to show designers for the 2013 season....

Be aware that in addition to judges, the audience, the people marching your program and assorted other influences, "one" person may complain about your show to a Fox News affiliate.

As a result of such potential influences, please refrain from doing anything that might be deemed controversial by anyone.

The 2013 Blue Devils present - "Little Bunny Frou Frou!"

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

Show designers are always" held accountable" for what they put on the field. If the judges and/ or audiences believe that its a " brilliant " or " crappy " design, they are " held accountable ". They are held " accountable " likewise when they produce a show with political overtones too, be it a political statement on the rise up of slaves, ie " Spartacus ", or a peace symbol formation on the field, or some other political statement. Anytime a show designer puts a show on the field with political, cultural, social, environmental, etc " statements, it is of course subject to acceptance, rejection, or indifference to that statement that is made on the part of the viewing audience. Show Designers are free to put whatever it is they choose out on the field for a show design, and be " held accountable " fully for that show design, good, bad, or indifferent.

However, in the hs band world, I think more shows are decided by the director, who then has others write music/drill. Not sure how many bands write their own shows.

This 'audience' reaction didn't happen at a contest. In fact the band was warmly received at their last competition.

The 'controversy' was one yahoo at a football game who probably paid no attention at all to the program or performers but decided on his own that it's unpatriotic to have the hammer/sickle appear on a football field.

and yahoos that area has.

Remember this area had issues with race riots in the early 90's.

20+ years after therest of America

Show designers are always "held accountable" for what they put on the field.

Quite right. But can we hold audience members accountable too?