HS marching band show controversy

I thought that was the Hurricanes around 72-73(?). Opened that portion of the show with America the Beautiful then did maybe 4 songs from different countries (Britain, France, China or Japan and Russia) then closed with What the World Needs Now is Love Sweet Love.

Close, but not quite.

Hurcs' color pre in 1972 was based on themes from what were the five major U.N. nations (USA, Soviet Union, Britain, France, China)... and the finale of the color pre was "Impossible Dream."

I thought it was an awesome color presentation production.

I thought that was the Hurricanes around 72-73(?). Opened that portion of the show with America the Beautiful then did maybe 4 songs from different countries (Britain, France, China or Japan and Russia) then closed with What the World Needs Now is Love Sweet Love.

Maybe the band should have copied VKs version of the 88(?) show were Communism is overthrown.

Dont quite remember the particulars, but I do remember guards, workers with a hammer and a sickle and a sign saying "Now Thats Art".

88 promoted animal creulty as they had a "bull" out there for Malaguena, and encouraged him to do vile acts, like urinating on the fallen matador.

oh and it was ####### funny too

• Like 3

well if we're saying fans being offended gets people fired, Scott Chandler must have pictures of BD board members with farm animals then.

No. I did not state this. Just the opposite as a matter of fact. I stated above that judges, audiences, Corps Directors and their Boards " held accountable " the Show Designers, but that ( quote above ) " they don't all react the same, naturally ". My central point is in response to those that believe that show designers are somehow not accountable to what they design. Of course they are. They get the " blame ".. and they get " the credit ". They don't get the credit for the great applause and/ or the top show design score from the judges, but NOT the blame when its a flop with audiences and/ or judges. It doesn't work that way. If they take " the chief credit " for the good times, then they sure as heck take " the chief blame " when it goes awry at times too.

Edited by BRASSO

No. I did not state this. Just the opposite as a matter of fact. I stated above that judges, audiences, Corps Directors and their Boards " held accountable " the Show Designers, but that ( quote above ) " they don't all react the same, naturally ". My central point is in response to those that believe that show designers are somehow not accountable to what they design. Of course they are. They get the " blame ".. and they get " the credit ". They don't get the credit for the great applause and/ or the top show design score from the judges, but NOT the blame when its a flop with audiences and/ or judges. It doesn't work that way. If they take " the chief credit " for the good times, then they sure as heck take " the chief blame " when it goes awry at times too.

uh huh.

ok.

• Like 1

88 promoted animal creulty as they had a "bull" out there for Malaguena, and encouraged him to do vile acts, like urinating on the fallen matador.

And DCA this year had Bonnie & Clyde and Da Godfather..... No one tell FOX or the Daily Mail that DCA is promoting crime and violence.

Especially the end of the Godfather show..... (for everyone elses benefit - everyone got shot by da new boss).

LOL and those frickin' <$1 to my sister in law> Vikings last year. :rolleyes:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

You really think that marching band/drum corps is a great place to teach academic understandings of historical aspects?

No, it isn't. Neither is the Musical Theatre. And fortunately, in most cases,it hasn't generally effected my enjoyment of Drum Corps shows or Musical Theatrical productions despite the show designers obvious preachiness about some aspect of history that seemed so near and dear to their own heart or mind.

Edited by BRASSO

It was a Vietnamese flag at the end of the SCV show, Mike; red field with a yellow star, not a hammer and sickle.

Which made sense, Saigon (aka "Ho Chi Minh City") not being located anywhere in the old USSR and all... :tongue:

Thanks for the enlightenment.

And DCA this year had Bonnie & Clyde and Da Godfather..... No one tell FOX or the Daily Mail that DCA is promoting crime and violence.

Especially the end of the Godfather show..... (for everyone elses benefit - everyone got shot by da new boss).

LOL and those frickin' <$1 to my sister in law> Vikings last year. :rolleyes:

Spirit 91 and the Civil War Show...and hey how about Bridgemen 80...the circus with animals being forced to dance against their will, promoting...uh...vice with the..uh..."ladies" in Winnetka, then their Civil War where they couldn't evenhave the right side win!

then violence with the football game at the end!

So, because one person didn't like it, no one else gets to enjoy the show? Cool.... good to see there are lots of selfish people out there.

Honestly, if you're going to freak out about that, maybe people should check their own priorities, since they're obviously out of whack. Imagine if they had watched SCV 1991, 1994 or 2005, or VK 1992, or Madison 1999, or Star 1991, or BD 1995.... geez....

I think they should be allowed to keep it. The kids should get to learn about the history of something that doesn't concern either American history, or has been done by Hollywood. I don't remember ever reading about the Russian Revolution in my World History classes, but I had already read more than a few books about it. But most kids don't.