A question about sync rights

We know that sync rights for Carmina Burana will not be granted.

Let's say "Corps A" decide they want to do Carmina Burana next season. They want to use it for everything... the whole 12 minutes + the pre-show.

Is there anything DCI can do to stop this because it would create a show length hole in the end of season DVD?

I don't think so. If memory serves, Kiwanis Kavaliers had this issue with their Beatles show - it was pretty clear that they weren't going to get permission for it. Also, though, CD permission and video permissions are two separate licenses, so a corps can be on one without the other. I seem to remember some sort of writeup from DCI about this at the time.

Mike

p.s. Aha - found the link, but it appears KK wasn't aware at the time.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=d307921f-1268-4b79-82df-d0e682fdb84b

Doug Darwin, director of the Kiwanis Kavaliers, said if he had anticipated the licensing issues, he may have planned the corps’ season differently.

“If we had known that, we wouldn’t have selected the show,” Darwin said. “We’re very disappointed that we couldn’t be include in the video. I thought it was a great show, and it’s too bad that people won’t be able to watch it again and again. However, I understand the situation. We decide that what was best for DCI was best for us. I agreed with the decision that we would have to miss out this year.”

No one can even get rights to arrange Carmina Burana, but that's not the point.

There are two parts to this;

1. Permission to arrange/perform has to be obtained by the corps.

2. Sync rights would have to be obtained by whomever is selling the DVD's.

Neither is responsible to the other for obtaining their rights for them.

Info on permission to arrange - Music for All copyright info

More info - Copy Cat Music

Is this recent? I recall being on tour in 1989 with BAC and heard Sky Ryders play it as their entire show....?

Is this recent? I recall being on tour in 1989 with BAC and heard Sky Ryders play it as their entire show....?

Its only recently that copyright law has been enforced.

The corps is not responsible for sync rights. DCI is. Considering the fact that DCI's priority is the field show, and not CD/DVD sales, I don't know that they would even want to try to stop a group from programming a certain piece.

So, Steve, you're saying that it falls on the corps. Even if DCI knows ahead of time it's going to be something that's not going to be approved for CD or DVD, there's not much they can do?

Mike

It seems to me Steve is saying the two sets of permissions are independent of each other. One has nothing to do with the other.

The timelines may be radically different, so my guess is that a corps will move ahead with the show of its choice if it gets the right to arrange and perform, since the CD/DVD rights may or may not happen in a timely manner, at least as needed by the corps.

Blue Stars and Limited Edition played it that year too. Imagine how sick I was of Carmina Burana after a few shows on the DCM tour.

Edited by EKBari

Blue Stars and Limited Edition played it that year too. Imagine how sick I was of Carmina Burana after a few shows on the DCM tour.

I believe Carmina Burana went onto the "restricted" list around 2001 or 2002. It was shortly after the James Logan Winter guard used it.

Bartok went on the list in 2011.

Bernstein is also getting harder and harder to obtain. With his stuff, you can't alter the melody or intent of the original, or create a "mash-up" of his stuff with other tunes.

question then. it seems every SEC football game you turn on has the band playing 'O Fortuna" in the stands......how do they get away with it?