Renegades to Europe in 2013

Posted on the Renegades (open) Facebook Page by Greg Gilman:

Renegades, this message is for everyone,

Recently, DCA raised concerns with Renegades in regards to housing difficulties during last month's championships. Our housing site complained, and DCA’s decision was to suspend the Renegades from DCA competition in 2013. Faced with that reality, we looked deeper and focused on what Renegades are really about:

* Be an amazing drum & bugle corps

* Compete in exciting venues

So, how do we move forward? Let’s go to Europe!

To make this happen we are putting our efforts into three main areas:

1) Focus on a producing the best drum corps in Renegades history, with as large as corps is humanly possible. Period.

Think - A retro long jacket look + The most popular Renegades tunes ever + Loudest Show on Earth GE x 7 million - and you're close.

2) Perform against all-age corps, but in a global arena.

We will be attend the Drum Corps Europe Championships in September 2013. This once in a lifetime experience will see the Renegades taking our unique style to international competition. The muggy heat of Maryland will be replaced by a 70 degree temperatures and a culture over 700 years old.

3) Raise the funds needed to make it cost the same as any other year of Renegades.

A new group -- Production Team 7 -- is being assembled, with an aggressive plan being formulated to raise funds for the season. This team will meet weekly, and be directly responsible for the financial success of the corps. External talent is being brought in for several positions. To help, let us know at team7@renegades.org.

The season will be focused on less camps and a more prepared corps. From beginning to end, we’re in for the entire year. From day one -- any spot not filled will be written out. Commit early and have a great time. Wait too long and you’ll be stuck watching Facebook updates of the Renegades in Europe and wish you were with us.

Finally, we all want what's best for our corps -- which comes down to you and every other member of the Renegades family supporting our cause. So volunteer your time and talents, talk about the 2013 Renegades Drum Corps Europe experience to everyone you know and get ready to rock'n roll. This is going to be awesome.

As always, constructive feedback appreciated,

See you in Europe,

- Greg

Discuss

Gotta say....not a lot of sympathy. Given the history of drum corps getting tossed from housing sites over the years for this sort of thing....the members should've known better.

Party hard is one thing, as is trashing your own home.....but to do it at a hotel when you're a guest and then potentially affecting OTHER corps? Not good.'

They'd better not trash any Euro hotels or they won't have a place to march at all.

• Like 5

Posted on the Renegades (open) Facebook Page by Greg Gilman:

Discuss

While I am in support of everything Renegades, I am extremely disappointed I will not get to see the corps the upcoming year. I just see it as one less reason to stick around the stadium in Annapolis that weekend. This does not by any means knock any other corps at DCA, but it's kind of like going to a dance your junior year in high school, and that girl you are hot for won't be there, makes the dance less relevant...

This all said, it has been an absolute pleasure for my wife and I to visit the corps while at DCA the past few years and help by pushing, pulling or what ever else it took to get the accessories, pit or props to the field at prelims. The corps is a class act, exciting and a great group of people! I wish you all the luck in the world, and while it would be a thrill to march with the corps, the 3,000 mile commute and lack of finances would make it impossible.

Good luck and we will be cheering from this side of the pond..

• Like 2

Gotta say....not a lot of sympathy. Given the history of drum corps getting tossed from housing sites over the years for this sort of thing....the members should've known better.

Party hard is one thing, as is trashing your own home.....but to do it at a hotel when you're a guest and then potentially affecting OTHER corps? Not good.'

They'd better not trash any Euro hotels or they won't have a place to march at all.

So... you know what happened or are you just speculating? Was it just a few members, a majority of the corps, visitors that were there, etc? I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

• Like 2

This years Renegades was no more "rowdy" than we have been the last few years.

We never got a single complaint from the Double Tree the last 2 years in Roc, nor the hotel that we stayed at in '09.

The problem was that 75% of the hotel was actually permanent residents...

The hotel would get onto us for talking above a normal talking voice while in the lobby...

They reserved us 3 small tables in the dining area, and when more than 10 members would show up for breakfast, there just wasnt enough room to sit, other than the tables that weren' reserved for us. Thus we got complaints from the hotel (even tho all of the other tables were vacant)

I'm not saying that there weren't bigger issues, cuz i dont know.

Just dont be ready and willing to throw us under the bus because of how the organization was in the past. We arent the same Renegades that we were in the early days, we are more family friendly

• Like 5

So, where you there? Where do you get your facts? Who appointed you judge and jury? For that matter, what process did DCA use before passing their sentence? The whole process doesn't pass the smell test.

• Like 5

I'm actually MORE interested in what they did to get complained about....

far too many rumors to even want to go there.

Facebook can be a beautiful thing.

Just be sure if you don't like a hotel, be careful what you say on blogs and hotel review websites