Jeff Prosperie

I, of course, defer to your deeper and extensive knowledge on the matter. But...in terms of the emboldened phrase above....not even as a featured soloist with an upper-level service ensemble??? Are you saying that the lead Trumpet for the West Point Jazz Ensemble isn't a commissioned officer?? ( I met one of the lead players in the group years ago...incredible guy...about 6'4 or 6'5...a very solid 220 lbs or so. In other words...one VERY imposing individual. Popped the highest register notes like he was doing a 2nd line G long tone at mp...and with half the apparent effort.) Wow...that would surprise me. But as I said...I most respectfully defer to your knowledge.

Correct. Band commanders and conductors are either warrant officers or commissioned officers. All performing musicians are enlisted, and a large number received music degrees before they enlisted. It's a fantastic way to earn a living playing music. I loved my years in the Army as a tuba player and sound engineer.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

All of the performers in the service bands are enlisted (E3 through E9). The conductors, or commanders/bandmasters are either warrant officers or commissioned officers depending on the size of the band. The performers in most of the Army bands start out and the rank of E4 because of the civilian acquired skills program. If you win a slot in the special bands (Pershing's Own, The Field Band, The Old Guard or West Point) you will start at E6. After 20 years of service, you can retire at 50% pay and start collecting it immediately. Every year you stay in after 20 years adds 2.5% to the pension amount. It's a great way of life, making a good living playing music! I spent 26 years in the Army Bands and don't regret a minute of it.

• Like 3

Cool to see all the connections between DCI and the military bands - I recently joined Pershing's Own myself!

As for Jeff Prosperie's reasons for joining the Army, I found this good interview the other day:

http://armystrongstories.com/army-stories/interview-with-staff-sergeant-jeff-prosperie#.VYjdRlL3bCQ

Some relevant selections:

KM: It seems like you had a lot of good stuff going for you in Louisiana. What made you take the job with the West Point Band over the work you were doing in the private sector?

JP: I am truly blessed for all the experiences I have had before coming to West Point and would not trade a single one of them; however, after getting married and starting a young family some of my priorities changed. I had developed a very large program at UL Lafayette which included 25 percussion majors and nearly every sort of percussion ensemble you could imagine. [...] All of these ensembles plus the fact that I never learned how to say "no" to a gig left me spending very little time at home and not much energy to be the kind of father and husband I expected of my self and that my family deserved. So, after bumping into an old colleague of mine [...] at the Percussive Arts Society Convention, and hearing about his family life style at West Point along with the coincidence of an opening in the Hellcats along with the Army raising it enlistment age. I truly believed this was the answer to my prayers, took a leap of faith, and have been thankful and blessed ever since.

[...]

KM: Can you compare your workload at the West Point Band to what you were doing pre-Army?

JP: It is about 40% less time consuming and actually pays more. You can't beat that, except with a stick.....and that's exactly what I do (insert rim shot/cym) .

KM: What would you say are the best benefits of serving in the military as a musician?

JP: A feeling of service and purpose. I have performed hundreds of concerts over the years as a professional orchestral percussionist for moderately engaged audiences. Nothing compares to playing a simple drum roll at the West Point Cemetery on a muffled drum to give the last honor to a fallen soldier and his or her family. That is a purpose and service that I can provide with my God given talent and training that is rewarding to me. Also, the predictable schedule and time that I can spend with my family is priceless. My children go to a great school across the street from my house in Band Land here on post....priceless........the safety, security and convenience of living on post....awesome......the medical/dental benefits are really a huge bonus as well. The beauty and historical significance of West Point is "jaw dropping".

Edited by CrownStarr
  • Like 7

Tom Rarick (Bluecoats percussion arranger, former marching member Cadets) is a heck of an arranger and drummer. He is in the United States Air Force Band in Washington, DC. http://www.innovativepercussion.com/artists/tom_rarick

And that would be him on the left in the opening ceremonies of the Super Bowl this year.

2015%5C02%5C150223-F-WA084-004.JPG

never would have imagined little Tommy, aka beav, would have risen to such heights from Carlisle HS

i do hope it's not true that he retired from judging tho. best tapes i've ever heard, at all levels

• Like 3

Well, it does really sum up Fox & Friends, doesn't it?

Youtube channel "Young Turks" really spanked the Fox network in general when commenting on this video. Throwing axes on a busy city street sums up the Fox network pretty well.

All of the performers in the service bands are enlisted (E3 through E9). The conductors, or commanders/bandmasters are either warrant officers or commissioned officers depending on the size of the band. The performers in most of the Army bands start out and the rank of E4 because of the civilian acquired skills program. If you win a slot in the special bands (Pershing's Own, The Field Band, The Old Guard or West Point) you will start at E6. After 20 years of service, you can retire at 50% pay and start collecting it immediately. Every year you stay in after 20 years adds 2.5% to the pension amount. It's a great way of life, making a good living playing music! I spent 26 years in the Army Bands and don't regret a minute of it.

Same here. I made decent money, perks doing Military Drum & Bugle Corps too, (after my gig in Junior, Sr. Corps).' Helped pay for the college degrees too. I had a blast.' Still get together at reunions with other marchers there too from time to time. Glad to hear Jeff is OK... He's a good guy, and a fair and balanced DCI judge too, imo

• Like 1

Crownstarr - Thank you! Exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. This explains everything. Family first - I like that.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1