Sex offenders being involved with drum corps

Back to Jim, Act 34/PA State Police Background Check runs 10 bucks.

Act 151/Sex offender/child abuse is also 10 bucks. You can even expedite that one if you know where to go and run around a lot and ask nicely.

Act 88, FBI fingerprint check is the 40 buck one- you end up going to a designated center, etc. have forms filled out, etc., and it rolls from there. About 60 dollars for all three checks.

Granted, it doesn't red flag anyone with no record, but at least it does give an organization protection in that they can say they vetted the individual in question and the background checks were all good.

As for people worried about DCA and this subject and it being negative, throwing their hands in the air and yelling this is bad to talk about....- I could curdle a few people's blood with a story at the HS level where someone who shouldn't have been around kids was until a couple of us ID'ed the individual, questioned the band director, who WAS aware of what he did. We told him to get rid of that individual ASAP or we would go to the band parents.

The individual in question had hoped by laying low for several years and by working cross-border that they could get away with it. Thankfully, not in that case. This isn't just a DCA thing. It's activity wide. And for that matter-- not just this activity, but ANY youth activity, as Mr. Sandusky has made it clear to everyone.

I guess you can lock your kids on the house and never let them out to do anything- OR-- just keep an watchful eye on who is involved with your kids and be a responsible parent.

The best way to stop this kind of issue is by transparency AND by people talking about it and being aware. Silence and throwing up one's hands and worrying it will scare parents away lets people like Sandusky prey on many kids for many years. The average serial sexual predator will claim 50 victims before they are apprehended because they rely on silence. Pedophiles don't like light being shined anywhere.

So-- talking about it here in a polite, frank, and open manner is a good thing. Period.

• Like 3

Thanks W, was on church council when Catholic church scandal hit and we realized we had no policy or protection against abusers. Had a gut wretching 2 hour info/training session on why we need this protection by the churchs insurance company. Yep, that adds to their cost too if it hits the fan. As show of good faith we all went thru the PA State Police and Act 151 checks. Typed mine up myself and sent it in with the check. When received the clearance gave it to the church.

Few years before had a problem when council found out a 40ish youth group helper was getting too "huggy" with the HS aged girls. Wasn't reported as much as he missed a outing and the college aged council rep said "things were less stressful since Sam wasn't there". We asked for an explaination and he told us about the over huggy part which was not appreciatied. Clod didn't get that this was a classic example of sexual harrassment and council was now legally responsible to stop it since we (now) knew about it. Since I work for Uncle Sam I get annual Sexual haressment training so (unfortuantely) I knew more than about anyone else. And you know my big mouth was filling everyone on and didn't care if they didn't want to hear it.

Long story short, he was told to stop and threw a fit (we had a cop hiding in case he got physical), then stormed out. Later second hand (his mom told my mom) found out that the lawsuit for slander, false statements, etc, etc was on the way. Been 12-15 years and still waiting.....

The "truth" they will get from this is an impression formed by anecdotes and partial, mostly secondhand accounts. I don't see what good this does for the activity other than to try and publicly shame the corps and org's into doing something; a method that tars the whole activity at the same time.

I'm not trying to stick my head in the sand on the issue. Just saying that there is likely a far more healthy and productive avenue to take than this.

Another example of the self-inflicted wounds that continue to kill this activity.

Or perhaps they would appreciate that a) people involved in the activity are talking about, and speaking out against, an issue that exists not only in drum corps, but in MANY youth activities and b) trying to do something about it. If one of my kids wanted to march corps and I read this thread, I know that I would be asking the management of any corps they were interested in some pretty pointed questions now. This is not a Bad Thing. Perhaps if enough parents ask, corps will take in on themselves to look into who they have working for them. Again, not a Bad Thing.

• Like 1

So reading through this can I haven't really seen a definite answer to the question that keeps coming to mind. Does DCI, DCA, or any of the corps have a Youth Protection Plan? And if the corps are not doing background checks then how do they get around it working with youth, especially in states that have enacted a version of Jessica's Law.?

Edited by jbl

Really guys?

How productive is this line of conversation to the activity as a whole?

If you have a question about DCI or DCA policy why don't you contact them directly and get an answer straight from the horse's mouth? Let's leave it off a public forum though.

Dan

• Like 1

It's easy to do.I'm confused why it's not done.

Corps submit the names of every member or instructor 18 and over to DCA via a standard form website.

Every corps is responsible to have their state's educational based background check on those members or instructors. Members must pay for the background checks, hopefully (If you're lucky) Instructors are paid by the corps. ** Note that this is how schools do it. They simply have them on file and if anyone asks, it can be proven that it exists.

Anyone who does not comply or pass the check goes home.

Any "claim" or "incident" must be backed up by showing DCA the paperwork.

Voila, seem like magic. Oh wait..... more like logic. Eh, same thing.

Until the paperwork goes through (which takes about 2 weeks, so from open house to the second camp), there should be ample amounts of parents and chaperones present. If not, you're asking for trouble.

This is from the boy scouts web-site. Since it's "technically" non profit I think we should at least have this in place.

Be sure to follow the buddy system. Whenever a merit badge counselor meets with a Scout, there must always be a third person present. This third person may be any other adult familiar to the Scout such as his parent or guardian, or the Scout's "buddy," such as a friend, sibling, or other relative.

All adult volunteers are expected to complete BSA Youth Protection training within 90 days of assuming a leadership position. This training can be done through MyScouting. BSA Youth Protection training helps preserve a safe environment for young people and adult leaders so that they can all enjoy the Scouting program.

boy scouts

It seems there is some sort of "criminal background check" that they can use nationwide. Maybe DCA can use this also? Each corps must pay DCA (x)$ for each member?

It's easy to do.I'm confused why it's not done.

Corps submit the names of every member or instructor 18 and over to DCA via a standard form website.

Every corps is responsible to have their state's educational based background check on those members or instructors. Members must pay for the background checks, hopefully (If you're lucky) Instructors are paid by the corps. ** Note that this is how schools do it. They simply have them on file and if anyone asks, it can be proven that it exists.

Anyone who does not comply or pass the check goes home.

Any "claim" or "incident" must be backed up by showing DCA the paperwork.

Voila, seem like magic. Oh wait..... more like logic. Eh, same thing.

Until the paperwork goes through (which takes about 2 weeks, so from open house to the second camp), there should be ample amounts of parents and chaperones present. If not, you're asking for trouble.

This is from the boy scouts web-site. Since it's "technically" non profit I think we should at least have this in place.

Be sure to follow the buddy system. Whenever a merit badge counselor meets with a Scout, there must always be a third person present. This third person may be any other adult familiar to the Scout such as his parent or guardian, or the Scout's "buddy," such as a friend, sibling, or other relative.

All adult volunteers are expected to complete BSA Youth Protection training within 90 days of assuming a leadership position. This training can be done through MyScouting. BSA Youth Protection training helps preserve a safe environment for young people and adult leaders so that they can all enjoy the Scouting program.

boy scouts

It seems there is some sort of "criminal background check" that they can use nationwide. Maybe DCA can use this also? Each corps must pay DCA (x)$ for each member?

This all makes sense. The question is: Are the organizations in drum corps actually doing it?

Anyone asked DCI? Anyone asked corps directors or board members?

The topic is appropriate, but DCI has the right to some input before we start gathering pitch forks.

Has anyone here ever examined just how easy it is to get on the sex offender list? I know people that ended up on the list for, "Public indecency." I wouldn't presume to speak for everyone here, but I know I've ###### on my share of trees\wood lines during my drum corps career when porta-johns weren't available. Something as innocuous as pissing on a tree can get you on a list in the same company as a serial rapist! My inner libertarian questions the constitutionality of even having a public listing of sex offenders but that is probably a debate for another time. I would encourage you to stop reacting emotionally and start thinking logically.

Edited by BUCKINGFRONCO
  • Like 2

Really guys?

How productive is this line of conversation to the activity as a whole?

This very well may be the single most important discussion we've seen in the DCA forums since DCP was founded.

In this day and age, corps cannot afford to not be as protective as possible of their members and their organization. Frankly, I am a bit surprised DCA corps aren't requiring clearances from all members over the age of 18, and not just staff. Heck, some don't even check up on staff and administration. That's just plain crazy.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2