Sex offenders being involved with drum corps

Just for the record... my first senior contest was in the summer of 1959... I was 13

DCA has NEVER had any age limit... it is absolutely one of those things that is/was left up to the individual corps

I'm confused.... is the Reengade issue you are refering to the one about the hotel issue, or was there something else I missed? If it's the same, I'm missing the connection (that is likely OBVIOUS to everyone else) between the Renegades hotel and pedophiles....??? Is there more info on the hotel thing that I am aware of?? :huh::huh:

the fact that DCA took action on something, but when notified of other issues, apparently did nothing prompted me

I have to head to work. I'm glad Liz is reading and thinking. Transparancy and having a policy in place is the right thing to do. In one of Jeff's examples, the happy ending to his hypothetical parent question earlier would be that every instructor's been cleared by background checks approprate to the state, you can see our copies of said background clearances if you wish, offender lists are checked on everyone involved that's an adult, and we have a firm policy in writing on this issue, we dont tolerate it whatsoever, if you'd like to read it.

And, in Jeff's case, if it's his child, would he and his wife like to be involved as performers, or on staff, or just to hang around- and would Grandpa Wally hang out with me and shoot the breeze whenever he wants to?

And Jim-- I stand with you on this- just know it, man. You're explaining this way too well. Thank you.

hell, I know you're legal and Sadie's still not allowed around you

:devil:

Also control in number of bodies in the corps (35 or more) and that's to compete at any DCA show IIRC.

Again, only for Prelims, if I'm not mistaken.

A corps doesn't have to declare what Class it wants to compete in - *at Prelims* - until well after the season is under way.

Only then is there the 35-member limit for Class A.

During the season, there's nothing preventing a minicorps from field competition, for example.

Plus new corps have to prove they are financially solvent.

A corps doesn't have to prove it's financially solvent unless it wants to become a member of DCA.

Any corps can - and is encouraged to - show up at Prelims with minimal fuss.

That's why corps like Southern Knights, Inspires and Kidsgrove made the trip...

(They certainly didn't have to pass a "solvency test" before they were welcomed.)

Look, I'm not condoning anything concerning the main topic of this discussion.

I'm just saying DCA as an entity is not responsible for the actions of the corps - except at the Championships.

Even then, aside from requiring a corps proves it has Rights to the Music it plays (for recording purposes, mainly), and has at least 35 marching members - the only other "control" is Comport.

(Behave yourself at DCA Weekend: You're a Guest!)

DCA is just not the all-powerful organization some here seem to think...

(Shrug)

A corps doesn't have to declare what Class it wants to compete in - *at Prelims* - until well after the season is under way.

During the season, there's nothing preventing a minicorps from field competition, for example.

Ron, actually I believe starting in 2003 corps have had to declare they were going Class A by June 1st. Long gone are the days when they declared in it mid-August. And the 35 member limit actually applies to all corps, all season also IIRC. It was created because show sponsors wished it and had nothing to do with prelims. That was one of the BIG issues with Shadow repeated saying DCA was keeping his corps down, when it had nothing to with DCA creating that rule but the show sponsors wanting it. (If I have either of those wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.)

A corps doesn't have to prove it's financially solvent unless it wants to become a member of DCA.

(They certainly didn't have to pass a "solvency test" before they were welcomed.)

But new and returning corps do have to pass an evaluation. I am sure that those corps that came over to this country proved it by being able to afford the trip. There have been evaluations for Tampa Bay, Sun Devils, Windsor, etc.

I'm just saying DCA as an entity is not responsible for the actions of the corps - except at the Championships.

Even then, aside from requiring a corps proves it has Rights to the Music it plays (for recording purposes, mainly), and has at least 35 marching members - the only other "control" is Comport.

(Shrug)

DCA does impose requirements on corps nonetheless, even if it isn't all that many. I also believe that corps have to show they carry a certain level ($$) of liability insurance by providing a Certificate of Insurance yearly (I know mini-corps do, and if they do, it is easy to assume that the competitive ones do as well). If they care enough to have a corps prove its solvency, for their own good, it is hard for me to see that they wouldn't want to see that corps protect themselves from potential lawsuits on this issue. Times ARE different. I've been getting fingerprinted since the mid-late 90's as a guard instructor working in high schools in CT. It was an absolute requirement, and one I had to pay for myself (so no one can say that it is an expense the corps' can't afford).

DCA isn't all-powerful, but it does have certain rules and requirements for participation. Ones that protect the corps, the show sponsors, and themselves. To say that it is asking too much to create a new rule that would protect its youngest participants AS WELL AS SHOW ATTENDEES doesn't valid. It seems like a cop-out.

• Like 2

Ron, I wasn't talking about the 65(?) Class A limit, just the 35 limit. As background to anyone wondering what I'm talking about: Way I remember it, people at some some complained that a very small corps was not "worth their money" and could lead to lesser attendance at shows. So DCA implemented any competing corps at a DCA show had to have at least 35 members. Exhibitions could have any group. Possible at least one new corps did not pass DCAs evaulation for this reeason but not sure. (At least that's way I remember until I'm corrected)

Way I see it if they are not a member of DCA then it's not DCA problem. But... didn't think about the "across the pond" corps so that's something else to consider since they do perform at DCA.

(Shrug)

Don't think anyone is condoning anything just differing ideas of responsibility. And making this harder to resolve is the fact that DCA does not have the resources to handle anything large scale. That's why I'm thinking the corps need to handle this but there has to be a way for them to prove to DCA that it IS being done, just like the music rights.

Side Topic: the BSA report posted about earlier just hit the local news. Couple of incidents including one guy who went to another Troop after being reported.

Question: Does DCA have a "rules congress" like DCI does? If so, can anyone submit a rule proposal? IIRC, in DCI anyone can write a proposal, but you have to have a member director submit it in the Rules Congress. If DCA has such a thing, couldn't someone (or a group) of the folks on this post put together a proposal and submit it? If that is not an option, people here have connections to corps directors, can you not get one of them to submit a rule for consideration? You know, actually take action? Thanks.

Question: Does DCA have a "rules congress" like DCI does? If so, can anyone submit a rule proposal? IIRC, in DCI anyone can write a proposal, but you have to have a member director submit it in the Rules Congress. If DCA has such a thing, couldn't someone (or a group) of the folks on this post put together a proposal and submit it? If that is not an option, people here have connections to corps directors, can you not get one of them to submit a rule for consideration? You know, actually take action? Thanks.

The DCA rules congress is coming up in a month or so,................good idea!

Started another thread asking about how corps prove to DCA that they have the copyrights to the music they perform. The two responses so far say basically that the corps do the legwork to get the paperwork and then show the paperwork to DCA as needed or requested (not sure).

Can't see why this shouldn't be a working model for background checks. Corps do paperwork on their people and either DCA or the corps keeps the paperwork on file in case the crap hits the fan. If it's anything like what I went thru it's a total of 2 sheets of paper per person. Only thing missing is DCA saying "Thou has to do this" and spell out what people need checks (staff, volunteers, etc).

Edit: And before anyone thinks this is a lot of extra work for the corps (at least in PA) you can fill out and send your own request for clearance. Then you just give the returned cleared/not cleared form to who ever wanted it.

Bugaboo for both is that there is paperwork for all pieces played and all people checked.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

(Shrug)

actually if you are going A class, they have to declare by June 1.

that said, if something happens with say an NFL player, the NFl can still be sued. Same for DCA