Dear DCA Board

Dear DCA Board,

This is killing me to be on opposite sides of the fence from friends of mine, but I have to set this record straight. I will also offer a solution, so please hear me out.

Please note, I am speaking for the Renegades, and I have the authority to do so. Ready? Here we go.

The official DCA press release just went out that said the Renegades "agreed" to be suspended from DCA for the 2013 season.

For the record, let me clarify this, and this is the official position of the drum corps.

First, the San Francisco Renegades organization does NOT agree that our entire corps should be suspended from DCA for any period of time. Period.

Second, please note -- I am not defending rock star-like behavior by anyone. Maybe it has no place in DCA for good. But the official policy of kicking an entire corps out based upon the actions of a few members is misguided and wrong, my friends. It hurts drum corps and should be reversed.

Now, to clarify our press release "agreement" for everyone --

A former board member of the Renegades, who was not at DCA 2012, was in discussions with DCA about this. He agreed with DCA, the Renegades would be suspended. Everybody also agreed at that time to not tell anyone about the suspension, other than maybe the Renegades board at some point. Plan -- the Renegades would simply not go to DCA 2013, without explanation. No one was going to tell the activity that a corps got kicked out, and no one told the 100 innocent Renegades who were affected by this decision. I know this was no grand cover up evil scheme by DCA, you're good guys. This was a case of people trying their best in a scary and stupid situation. But the decision that came out of that stress was sadly wrong.

In Renegades land, when the news broke that "we" just agreed to be kicked out of DCA because of the alleged actions of a few members, in the middle of a hotel that was problem since Day 1, including Renegades having stuff stolen from their locked rooms .. well, let's just say we had one less board member five minutes later.

At the request of a weeping board member, I contacted DCA and told them the Renegades did not agree to be kicked out. Now, we're being held to representative #1's email where he agreed to one of the worst collective decisions in DCA history. I'm sorry, I have no personal animosity here, but that decision was crazy.

To avoid any confusion, let me say a few things on behalf of the San Francisco Renegades to DCA, out here in public.

We don't agree with the suspension at all, as a matter of policy.

Second -- I hereby officially and publicly request and appeal DCA's decision to suspend the Renegades, and I assert that the Renegades should be allowed back into DCA competition.

Whatever that process means, whatever rules you have to pass, bylaws, voting among the corps - I request that happen, right now. If it comes to a vote among the corps, and everyone does not want Renegades, vote us out. We'll walk away quietly. But I think this is the last chance to turn this around and we want to stay in the family. Everyone on all sides please put the egos in check, the stakes are too high.

Personally, I think the policy should be reversed, and the Renegades should be allowed into DCA 2013. I also think Renegades and DCA should form a task force, I am happy to join, to help enact policies for the health and safety of all DCA corps members, to be applied equally to every DCA corps, and to help get the DCA marketing and finance plan on track for DCA and into the modern times. Maybe DCA does not want my help, but I am publicly offering it. But if you kick my corps to the ground, we're on opposite sides of the fence, my friends.

In Conclusion -- Emotions are running high, but a lot of consecutive mistakes were made here. It's time to correct all of them in a way that does not hurt drum corps more than has already happened.

Lee

• Like 8

Dear DCA Board,

This is killing me to be on opposite sides of the fence from friends of mine, but I have to set this record straight. I will also offer a solution, so please hear me out.

Please note, I am speaking for the Renegades, and I have the authority to do so. Ready? Here we go.

The official DCA press release just went out that said the Renegades "agreed" to be suspended from DCA for the 2013 season.

For the record, let me clarify this, and this is the official position of the drum corps.

First, the San Francisco Renegades organization does NOT agree that our entire corps should be suspended from DCA for any period of time. Period.

Second, please note -- I am not defending rock star-like behavior by anyone. Maybe it has no place in DCA for good. But the official policy of kicking an entire corps out based upon the actions of a few members is misguided and wrong, my friends. It hurts drum corps and should be reversed.

Now, to clarify our press release "agreement" for everyone --

A former board member of the Renegades, who was not at DCA 2012, was in discussions with DCA about this. He agreed with DCA, the Renegades would be suspended. Everybody also agreed at that time to not tell anyone about the suspension, other than maybe the Renegades board at some point. Plan -- the Renegades would simply not go to DCA 2013, without explanation. No one was going to tell the activity that a corps got kicked out, and no one told the 100 innocent Renegades who were affected by this decision. I know this was no grand cover up evil scheme by DCA, you're good guys. This was a case of people trying their best in a scary and stupid situation. But the decision that came out of that stress was sadly wrong.

In Renegades land, when the news broke that "we" just agreed to be kicked out of DCA because of the alleged actions of a few members, in the middle of a hotel that was problem since Day 1, including Renegades having stuff stolen from their locked rooms .. well, let's just say we had one less board member five minutes later.

At the request of a weeping board member, I contacted DCA and told them the Renegades did not agree to be kicked out. Now, we're being held to representative #1's email where he agreed to one of the worst collective decisions in DCA history. I'm sorry, I have no personal animosity here, but that decision was crazy.

To avoid any confusion, let me say a few things on behalf of the San Francisco Renegades to DCA, out here in public.

We don't agree with the suspension at all, as a matter of policy.

Second -- I hereby officially and publicly request and appeal DCA's decision to suspend the Renegades, and I assert that the Renegades should be allowed back into DCA competition.

Whatever that process means, whatever rules you have to pass, bylaws, voting among the corps - I request that happen, right now. If it comes to a vote among the corps, and everyone does not want Renegades, vote us out. We'll walk away quietly. But I think this is the last chance to turn this around and we want to stay in the family. Everyone on all sides please put the egos in check, the stakes are too high.

Personally, I think the policy should be reversed, and the Renegades should be allowed into DCA 2013. I also think Renegades and DCA should form a task force, I am happy to join, to help enact policies for the health and safety of all DCA corps members, to be applied equally to every DCA corps, and to help get the DCA marketing and finance plan on track for DCA and into the modern times. Maybe DCA does not want my help, but I am publicly offering it. But if you kick my corps to the ground, we're on opposite sides of the fence, my friends.

In Conclusion -- Emotions are running high, but a lot of consecutive mistakes were made here. It's time to correct all of them in a way that does not hurt drum corps more than has already happened.

Lee

I can't believe what I just read. I am in stunned and utter shock! I cannot move. It is beyond my imagination that this actually occurred.

Edited by ReneGuard7
  • Like 1

I smell a (albeit unwarranted) ...3... coming soon.

• Like 1

Lee, I'm glad you wrote this letter. It pained me to see people who had such a screwed up "understanding" of what happened. I hope this clarifies who threw the corps under the bus and who is here, standing behind the corps, fighting FOR the corps.

As an alum, both of the corps and of the Board of Directors, I am PROUD to have you speak for me.

Good luck. I hope cooler heads prevail.

:thumbup:

• Like 5

...and still no apology. And barely even an acknowledgement that something bad actually happened aside from a throw-away line.

Honestly, Lee, we know you disagree and are not happy with the decision (right or wrong). But since DCP isn't where the DCA Board of Directors meet, and you clearly know that, what's the point of posting this here? If you are trying to get the masses on your side, I'm not sure it's working. It seems to me your efforts, well-meaning as they are, would be better spent behind the scenes directly with DCA.

Unless this is just a cry for publicity...

A. You're wrong in thinking that the powers that be in DCA do not read this.

B. You're wrong if you think Lee hasn't discussed this already with the powers that be

and most importantly:

C. It was important to post it here because here is where this is being gossiped about. People so bent on "looking" important, passing along untruths and lies just so they can look like they're "in the know". It was shocking to see what was getting passed as "fact" around here.

I'm glad he did it.

Rock on.

• Like 8

This makes complete sense. I hope the DCA board and the Renegades organization can come to a more sensible arrangement here.

As for an apology - I think there needs to be a fruitful discussion by the current powers that be within Renegades and the DCA board first about all open issues so they can work it out directly.

• Like 3

A. You're wrong in thinking that the powers that be in DCA do not read this.

B. You're wrong if you think Lee hasn't discussed this already with the powers that be

I made neither assertion.

C. It was important to post it here because here is where this is being gossiped about. People so bent on "looking" important, passing along untruths and lies just so they can look like they're "in the know". It was shocking to see what was getting passed as "fact" around here.

I'm glad he did it.

I fail to see how addressing the DCA Board in an open forum does anything positive. It's not like Lee answered any of the questions people have been asking, though I really couldn't care less what they did in Annapolis. If Lee or any other Reneagades official were to give an explanation, acknowledgement, and apology for whatever happened, I think folks would be much more welcoming towards them.

So far, as a major fan of the corps, all I see is more FUD.

• Like 3