Cold War Music

Jim is right about Harry Truman's campaign song, but it was Adlai Stevenson who ran against Eisenhower in both '52 and '56. I have no recollection of either man's campaign anthem.

As a youngster, knowing that my family had been dyed-in-the-wool New Deal Democrats, I asked my bartender father why he supported Eisenhower. On one level it made sense since I was aware that my dad and uncles had fought their way through Europe a few years earlier with General Patton and the boys but still, Ike was a Republican, and my older sister was adamant in her support for Stevenson.

"What's the difference between Democrats and Republicans, Pop?", I asked at the dinner table one night. "Well", he replied, "the Democrats will take all your money and pretty much p..s it away, and the Republicans will take all your money and pretty much keep it for themselves."

If he were alive today he'd make a great debate moderator, I think. And he might even be able to chime in on the original poster's premise. Bartenders know a lot.

Edited by ironlips

Jim is right about Harry Truman's campaign song, but it was Adlai Stevenson who ran against Eisenhower in both '52 and '56. I have no recollection of either man's campaign anthem.

:doh: Oh yeah, Dewey... look like he belongs on top of the wedding cake.... :tongue:

And saving the next to last paragraph. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The OP needs to elaborate a thesis-as it stands it's more of a general statement. What is mean by "Americanism"? How did the Eisenhower use music? What type of music? Popular music? Emerging Rock, Big Band, Jazz, Classical? How was this discourse received?

I think the OP has raised an interesting topic, but needs to flesh out his ideas a bit...

• 2 weeks later...

SSgt. Barry Sadler's 1966 release "Ballad of The Green Berets"/"The A Team" comes to mind as an exception to that rule.

peace,

Fred O.

"Another Exception":

Burt Bachrack and Hal David's "I Say a Little Prayer for You" sung by Dionne Warwick.

The song is a woman's saying little prayers for her husband/boyfriend serving in Viet Nam.

Casey Kasem provided the "Background" on one of his "America Top Forty" shows....

Elphaba

This is a great topic. I'm kind of a Cold War buff.

IMO, one of Eisenhower's greatest hits was the "Military-Industrial Complex" speech. :thumbup:

Cold War music? hmmmmmm Was Vietnam cold? I guess Korea was the last really cold place that we spent in the cold at war. I say "White Christmas." Of course I guess it gets cold in the Afghan mountains because I saw snow on a show called Bomb Squad: Afghanistan. It was cold in the Ardennes/Battle of the Bulge in Bastogne too. I wasn't around for that one but I did go there while I was in the Army.

Alot of good that one did huh? They keep rolling along, stronger than ever.

IMO, one of Eisenhower's greatest hits was the "Military-Industrial Complex" speech. :thumbup:

An obvious and concrete topic in your thesis might include the missions, use and influence of the US military bands -- as a direct governmental "mouthpiece" of American ideals. In addition to all the base bands of each branch, worldwide, the DC headquarters bands regularly toured extensively throughout the US and around the world acting as "America's musical ambassadors." I believe you could access a treasure-trove of materials as each of these units now has archival collections. Start by contacting each band's PR office at its DC area base location.

Good luck.

Steve

The addition of Glen Miller during WWII and his contribution to the raising of troop morale through his music.