Save the Glassmen

As I've said elsewhere and in this thread, this just isn't a Glassmen issue. Other corps are in trouble and even have folded due to the financial demands of "touring", "staff" and other issues associated with supporting a corps during the year. And when a corps budgets for a year and have things such as bus breakdowns and other issues on the road shortfalls will happen. What do you do then, rob Peter to pay Paul? I agree with those who say the current DCI touring model DOES NOT WORK! And I know there will be those who say well "look at Devils or Crown or Garfield"...We all know there will be exceptions to the rule but that rule is taking us down to maybe eight corps left when this is all said and done. I know this thread is regarding helping the Gmen stay around but for how much longer? If they and other corps that find themselves in finacial diffuculty HAD a stable plan and get through the next season I don't believe the current economic conditions will allow for continued participation. Donations, grants, dues and even corporate support (which is very limited as best) will not continue to support this activity. I keep seeing people just say well get off you butt and donate your time and money and "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" and then at the end of the day the corps still folds. We NEED to get away from the Summer Touring model and let corps that have the financial means to tour do it and the rest be given a chance to stay local and go to the Championships for the big show. It should not be mandatory. I will be helping Glassmen but we can't keep seeing these pleas for help every year and for more and more corps.

I seem to recall that the move from 128 to 150 was mostly to fill the empty seats in the 53/56 pax coaches that everyone leased. Filling those empty seats should result in an increase on the income side. Those extra 22 kids should not really generate expenses that aren't offset by the increased fees collected.

I agree...if they are moving three busses around anyway, they may as well maximize the revenue produced by each 'seat' on the busses, unless the revenue ends up being less than the expense of uniforms, instruments and meals.

We NEED to get away from the Summer Touring model and let corps that have the financial means to tour do it and the rest be given a chance to stay local and go to the Championships for the big show. It should not be mandatory.

That happens already.

• Like 1

so...has the national touring model really helped?

So, what is the 'national touring model' exactly. Is it an actual policy of DCI to require a certain number of shows in order to attend finals? There seems to be some disagreement as to whether this is true (from MikeD's post).

I wonder why regional circuits aren't sustainable anymore? I've always assumed it's because the local corps themselves folded and there weren't enough corps to compete. So how would DCI be able to fix that?

I would think a new regional model for drum corps could involve a circuit with several drum corps in a very small region, preferably one that does not generally require buses, so corps would pay little for fuel or food. Basically, corps in neighboring towns. If you could get a bunch of corps all around the same small city (or on the same side of a big city), you'd be in business. Since they are local, they wouldn't be limited to summer, so they could have shows in the spring, with the championships in mid-June to allow corps to do the DCI thing if they wanted.

A big effort by a bunch of smart, dedicated people with a bag of cash would be required, but I would think it could work.

So, what is the 'national touring model' exactly. Is it an actual policy of DCI to require a certain number of shows in order to attend finals? There seems to be some disagreement as to whether this is true (from MikeD's post).

I wonder why regional circuits aren't sustainable anymore? I've always assumed it's because the local corps themselves folded and there weren't enough corps to compete. So how would DCI be able to fix that?

I would think a new regional model for drum corps could involve a circuit with several drum corps in a very small region, preferably one that does not generally require buses, so corps would pay little for fuel or food. Basically, corps in neighboring towns. If you could get a bunch of corps all around the same small city (or on the same side of a big city), you'd be in business. Since they are local, they wouldn't be limited to summer, so they could have shows in the spring, with the championships in mid-June to allow corps to do the DCI thing if they wanted.

A big effort by a bunch of smart, dedicated people with a bag of cash would be required, but I would think it could work.

DCM folded basically because the big boys pulled whatcould considered a G7 like move back in 03....it's all about us.Yeah, maybe some of those local corps weren't good. But they were training grounds for the bigger corps, and every little local show helped get exposure and money. Many of those small shows are gone too....it's all about the mega events. Sadly, I used to be able to catch 5/6 shows with 5/6 corps within a 2 hours drive BEFORE Allentown. Now maybe 3, and one is just days before Allentown. They were all well attended.

Here are a few questions. Reading the website Glassmen have 3 different facilities. It looks like 1 is rented. Why would you not utilize space in one you own instead of renting an office? It appears they are both old. Does it really make sense to operate these buildings instead of renting when needed? These seem to be ongoing situations. Maybe a year away is the best solution. It worked for Troopers. I would not be suprised if tryouts are smaller since if someone wants to march they would miss everyone elses tryout if the corps does not go on this season.

DCI can't fix that. It is not incumbent on DCI to actually create corps...and it would take a lot of corps to create the level of local-competitions you envision.

Local corps nationwide folded for a variety of reasons, but DCI is not one of them (IMO).

That would require an enormous big bag o'bucks...not to mention staff and most especially marching members. Cadets2 competing in DCA is, in effect, a weekend-only local corps started in Allentown aimed at the HS-aged market...one corps with a large degree of name recognition...and they had trouble filling out the hornline. They added 6 or 7 DCI marching members (not all Cadets) after champs just to fill in the blanks in the drill for DCA champs.

Part of the problem is that what you describe is already there, and is far larger than local drum corps ever was, in the competitive HS band circuits like USBands and TOB in my area.

We NEED to get away from the Summer Touring model and let corps that have the financial means to tour do it and the rest be given a chance to stay local and go to the Championships for the big show. It should not be mandatory.

Touring is not mandatory. Maybe it looks that way, from the number of corps that tour 7 or 8 weeks now. But the DCI prescribed "full tour" starts in San Antonio, and even that is not mandatory. Corps such as Pacific Crest, Academy and Jersey Surf have done world class with less touring. And for even shorter tours, open class provides other options.