Save the Glassmen

There was an open board meeting last night. Any news?

The Glassmen Board of Directors will hold a special "Open Board Meeting" on November 13. We invite interested alumni, friends, and supporters to attend. The board will be discussing the 2013 budget, state of finances, and the future of the corps.

November 13, 2012

7:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Great Lakes Conference Center

Bay Park Community Hospital

2801 Bay Park Drive

Oregon, OH 43616

As I've said elsewhere and in this thread, this just isn't a Glassmen issue. Other corps are in trouble and even have folded due to the financial demands of "touring", "staff" and other issues associated with supporting a corps during the year. And when a corps budgets for a year and have things such as bus breakdowns and other issues on the road shortfalls will happen. What do you do then, rob Peter to pay Paul? I agree with those who say the current DCI touring model DOES NOT WORK! And I know there will be those who say well "look at Devils or Crown or Garfield"...We all know there will be exceptions to the rule but that rule is taking us down to maybe eight corps left when this is all said and done. I know this thread is regarding helping the Gmen stay around but for how much longer? If they and other corps that find themselves in finacial diffuculty HAD a stable plan and get through the next season I don't believe the current economic conditions will allow for continued participation. Donations, grants, dues and even corporate support (which is very limited as best) will not continue to support this activity. I keep seeing people just say well get off you butt and donate your time and money and "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" and then at the end of the day the corps still folds. We NEED to get away from the Summer Touring model and let corps that have the financial means to tour do it and the rest be given a chance to stay local and go to the Championships for the big show. It should not be mandatory. I will be helping Glassmen but we can't keep seeing these pleas for help every year and for more and more corps.

This is exactly what I've been saying Kemo but with one extra addition we need to start up the smaller Drum Corps associations

such the " Great Lakes Drum corps Assciation " Mid-West assocition " West Coast , East Cpast and Southern States associations .

Like you said most of these corps can't afford these enormous expenses , DCI can't afford to not support this idea , yes DCI wil make less money but it's the nature of the beast , I hope someone comes up with a solution ! God Bless Drum Corps !!!!!

This is exactly what I've been saying Kemo but with one extra addition we need to start up the smaller Drum Corps associations

such the " Great Lakes Drum corps Assciation " Mid-West assocition " West Coast , East Cpast and Southern States associations .

Like you said most of these corps can't afford these enormous expenses , DCI can't afford to not support this idea , yes DCI wil make less money but it's the nature of the beast , I hope someone comes up with a solution ! God Bless Drum Corps !!!!!

There is no need whatsoever for DCI to start anything small. Why? Because there already "ARE", I repeat, there already "ARE" and have been for quite a while Small Drum Corps Associations in existence such as SDCA (link) and DCNA (link). Various drum corps already have, and still have, the choice between DCI or these other small associations. It is just that not many corps, staff, or performers want to engage at that level. And asking DCI to be willing to make less money by creating small local arms of DCI when most drum corps who are already choosing to fold instead of joining SDCA or DCNA is, imo, downright absurd!

** For those giving me drive-by red negatives have you suggested SDCA or DCNA to the directors of Forte, Teal, VK, Racine Scouts, Glassmen, or are you just going to blast DCI? Have any of you supported SDCA and DCNA or again are you just blasting DCI?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

There is no need whatsoever for DCI to start anything small. Why? Because there already "ARE", I repeat, there already "ARE" and have been for quite a while Small Drum Corps Associations in existence such as SDCA (link) and DCNA (link). Various drum corps already have, and still have, the choice between DCI or these other small associations. It is just that not many corps, staff, or performers want to engage at that level. And asking DCI to be willing to make less money by creating small local arms of DCI when most drum corps who are already choosing to fold instead of joining SDCA or DCNA is, imo, downright absurd!

** For those giving me drive-by red negatives have you suggested SDCA or DCNA to the directors of Forte, Teal, VK, Racine Scouts, Glassmen, or are you just going to blast DCI? Have any of you supported SDCA and DCNA or again are you just blasting DCI?

Stu, you're missing the point entirely. Corps like Gmen, Teal etc don't want to join a "smaller" circuit they want to play with the BIG boys. And I don't blame them. The REAL problem is that to play in DCI the corps feel that have do the tour or at least the major parts of it from San Antonio on to Finals. THIS is the straw that breaks the camels back money wise. Unless you're one of the top 5 or 6 corps (and even that is shrinking) most corps do not have the finacial foundation to keep doing tours. DCI does not have to start smaller local arms or anything other than support local or regional competition until the Championships. BUT that would drop the number of the BIG shows where DCI makes most of it's money. Just look at how many corps HAD to fold due to lack of money that would allow them to go on tour and without going on tour they can't attract the members to march. DCI itself is not the problem as much as the current model of a corps needing to march 150 members and going on a extended tour and then come up with the funds to do it year after year. Yes a corps COULD only do a small part of tour or march a smaller corps but then they would suffer competition wise. It seems that BOA can have successful regional and local competitions and then have 90 bands show up for Nationals but DCI is close to not even having 30 something corps. But then again let's "pay no attention to man behind the curtain" which is lack of money and just blame the corps because they don't know how to raise the financial support. What's is going to take for things to change...having Cavaliers or Garfield fold and THEN admit DCI has a problem?

Stu, you're missing the point entirely. Corps like Gmen, Teal etc don't want to join a "smaller" circuit they want to play with the BIG boys. And I don't blame them. The REAL problem is that to play in DCI the corps feel that have do the tour or at least the major parts of it from San Antonio on to Finals. THIS is the straw that breaks the camels back money wise. Unless you're one of the top 5 or 6 corps (and even that is shrinking) most corps do not have the finacial foundation to keep doing tours. DCI does not have to start smaller local arms or anything other than support local or regional competition until the Championships. BUT that would drop the number of the BIG shows where DCI makes most of it's money. Just look at how many corps HAD to fold due to lack of money that would allow them to go on tour and without going on tour they can't attract the members to march. DCI itself is not the problem as much as the current model of a corps needing to march 150 members and going on a extended tour and then come up with the funds to do it year after year. Yes a corps COULD only do a small part of tour or march a smaller corps but then they would suffer competition wise. It seems that BOA can have successful regional and local competitions and then have 90 bands show up for Nationals but DCI is close to not even having 30 something corps. But then again let's "pay no attention to man behind the curtain" which is lack of money and just blame the corps because they don't know how to raise the financial support. What's is going to take for things to change...having Cavaliers or Garfield fold and THEN admit DCI has a problem?

"It is just that not many corps, staff, or performers want to engage at that level." Did you miss that part? Basically the same as your second sentence. So I wouldn't say he missed the point entirely.

There was an open board meeting last night. Any news?

The Glassmen Board of Directors will hold a special "Open Board Meeting" on November 13. We invite interested alumni, friends, and supporters to attend. The board will be discussing the 2013 budget, state of finances, and the future of the corps.

November 13, 2012

7:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Great Lakes Conference Center

Bay Park Community Hospital

2801 Bay Park Drive

Oregon, OH 43616

I don't want to appear negative however I am wondering where thing actually stand. Glassmen put out something that they needed $300000 by the end of the year. They have a meeting which then says full speed ahead while the figure being circulated in that less than 4% of that total has been realized.

Does this mean they found a way to cut several hundred of thousands from the budget? Does it mean they are going forward with out worrying about the consequences? Does it mean they did not actually need that money? I am confused if by the wording they are going ahead with the year or simply reaffirming that they would do auditions and decide later if they will do the season.

To be fair to those auditioning I hope some clarification is coming soon. I hope the corps continues to fuction for this year and many to come but full disclose is best nowe that you put out the initial information.

• Like 1

I don't want to appear negative however I am wondering where thing actually stand. Glassmen put out something that they needed $300000 by the end of the year. They have a meeting which then says full speed ahead while the figure being circulated in that less than 4% of that total has been realized.

Does this mean they found a way to cut several hundred of thousands from the budget? Does it mean they are going forward with out worrying about the consequences? Does it mean they did not actually need that money? I am confused if by the wording they are going ahead with the year or simply reaffirming that they would do auditions and decide later if they will do the season.

To be fair to those auditioning I hope some clarification is coming soon. I hope the corps continues to fuction for this year and many to come but full disclose is best nowe that you put out the initial information.

I can't say as to how much has been garnered vs. how much has been cut from the original $300,000 need. But I was told by a Glassmen alumnus that the current need is now down to $150,000. I make no guarantees that this figure is accurate.

Edited by mingusmonk

I can't say as to how much has been garnered vs. how much has been cut from the original $300,000 need. But I was told by a Glassmen alumnus that the current need is now down to $150,000. I make no guarantees that this figure is accurate.

GLASSMEN Drum & Bugle Corps shared a link.

November 15

Thank you to everyone who has donated to our cause. We have reached 4% of our goal. Due to popular demand, the Glassmen have established a PayPal account to make it easier to donate. Please click the link below.

GLASSMEN Drum & Bugle Corps shared a link.

November 15

Thank you to everyone who has donated to our cause. We have reached 4% of our goal. Due to popular demand, the Glassmen have established a PayPal account to make it easier to donate. Please click the link below.

:rock: hmm.