What does "All Age" look like in the future?

Time to get away from the combativeness of the Predictions Thread and stir up another hornets nest by talking about "All Age" and how it will be impacted by future programs. At the beginning of the season there was much discussion about the 25 year "age out" of the C2 organization—and everyone seemed to be up in arms about it.

During the course of the season, though, it was interesting to see how the Cadets 2 grew up and presented a terrific show with what we previously called "kids, youngsters, or rookies." I'm not sure what their average age was, but they started to get their act together in a hurry.

Let me preface this topic by saying that I am a Bucs fan, and was blown away by their presentation this year. My wife and I housed a forty-something trumpet player who struggled with the physical demands of this year's show. Until she had to withdraw due to work-related issues, we could see the physical toll the Black Symphony took from her body. A young 'un took her place.

During a discussion after the Downingtown show, I commented about all the movement and how amazed my wife and I were with the pace of the performance. She said that there were only two forty-somethings in the corps (1 in the hornline); 4 or 5 thirty-somethings in the horn line, and the rest were what I called "kids." The physical demands of this year's show was the reason for the dearth of older members.

Which brings me to the point I want to make: with the ever increasing athleticism required to perform the shows the top DCA corps are presenting, will we be watching members "age out" by the time they turn thirty just because they will no longer be able to keep up with the physical requirements of the show's design? The Buc's forty-somethings were exceptional (1 marched with a fractured foot she injured in practice), but I'm not sure a corps made up of mostly "senior" members could have held up to the demands of the season. Will the average age of compeitive corps soon approach that of Cadets2?

Last year at this time everyone treated the age limit George set for C2 as heresy. Could it be that George saw the necessity for a "youth movement" in order to be competitive?

Knowing the mindset of the Buccaneers' organization and their quest for excellence, I don't see them taking a step backwards for the upcoming season. 2013 will probably be another year filled with physical demands. You're not going to beat 'em with an alumni corps.

Your turn. Got any thoughts?

Roy

Interesting topic.

I know that with us in Atlanta CV, the average age has been steadily falling. I think I remember Dave Stollberg, our executive director, mention that as recently as 5 or so years ago, the average age of the corps was around 30. That number has been going down every year I know and I believe he said the average age last year was about 19 or 20. I do think the limiting factor will be physical demands on the body. We had two members of the hornline that were near 50, one was 57. They were both animal players but after a summer of running around the field they definitely were major stock holders in Ibuprophen. We also had a few +35 members of the colorguard, but again this was the vast minority. In less physically demanding roles (pit, drum majors) there was a larger percentage of 40-50 year olds represented. I would guess this would be pretty typical with most corps.

I hope that there will always be room for, let's call it, "more experienced" members within the ranks of competative DCA corps, but in order to be competative any more there is no doubt that the physical demands placed on the marching members will continue to rise. I think putting age limits out there is going to be completely up to the individual corps based on their goals for the organization. It is certainly not something DCA should, or would, ever consider.

Just me two cents.

Dan

I have been marching with the White Sabers since they began in DCA in 2005 and I am one of the more seasoned performers on the field at 53. I continue to perform for several reasons. 1. I enjoy it 2. I still feel that I have something to contribute. 3. It is a physical demand on ones body, but that is what keeps me motivated to continue.

I have been fortunate enough that the corps has been able place me into the show with my limitations being considered. That may not always be the case. It is my opinion that the activity is one where one must be able to perform on the move! I am not one that can just stand in the pit and play. If at anytime I don't think that I can continue with the physical demands then I will have to retire from the field.

A very interesting post! I hope everyone chimes in on this question. It is an issue that is very near to my heart. Let me just make two points and then retreat! Yes! IMHO there is no substitute for youth on the field. The second point is reaping at the low end of the fountain of youth implies a plentyfull harvest from which a corps can choose from. This implies that the activities numbers as a whole are growing. This is good!

A very interesting post! I hope everyone chimes in on this question. It is an issue that is very near to my heart. Let me just make two points and then retreat! Yes! IMHO there is no substitute for youth on the field. The second point is reaping at the low end of the fountain of youth implies a plentyfull harvest from which a corps can choose from. This implies that the activities numbers as a whole are growing. This is good!

In 2012 the average age of Minnesota Brass's Hornline was 31.82 with 6 members over 50, 5 over 40 and 14 under 21, with everyone else falling inbetween marching the full show on the field. And of course we had our own G-man Roger doing his part in telling the shows story, so if you put him in the mix it even goes up a bit.

Edited by TISH

In 2012 the average age of Minnesota Brass's Hornline was 31.82 with 6 members over 50, 5 over 40 and 14 under 21, with everyone else falling inbetween marching the full show on the field. And of course we had our own G-man Roger doing his part in telling the shows story, so if you put him in the mix it even goes up a bit.

didn't you mean to say.... "put Roger in the mix and it goes up a LOT" lol just kidding - at least he's not as old as me...

Nobody is as old as you Tom! LOL

Just teasing my friend!

didn't you mean to say.... "put Roger in the mix and it goes up a LOT" lol just kidding - at least he's not as old as me...

I love it when Tom and Dick Hoppe are together and the memories just come falling out. Those were great times listening to you guys!

Nobody is as old as you Tom! LOL

Just teasing my friend!

I love it when Tom and Dick Hoppe are together and the memories just come falling out. Those were great times listening to you guys!

Just remember... I'm only 66 - HOP is MUCH older... lol

so on the subject... when do we stop worrying about age and start telling the difference between corps as "touring" and "non-touring"? To me, age has never been the critical divider - it is the difference between touring (and practicing mega hours a week while on tour allowing you to perfect your product to a high degree) and being weekend warriors who mix smart rehearsal time, a dose of experienced people and youthful talent to put out as good and entertaining a product as possible for the audience...

it's just NOT about age folks... and by the way, NEVER has been... as I've told you all many times, I began in field competing senior corps in 1959 at the age of 13... the age limit was 21 and corps were getting DQ'd (disqualified not dairy queen'd) for having under 21...

I believe that growing up I had so many "father" figures watching over me that I couldn't possibly have gotten into any real trouble... my point? It's nothing new - has been the same for decades... a delightful combination of youthful enthusiasm and aged experience...

Edited by TomPeashey

Just remember... I'm only 66 - HOP is MUCH older... lol

so on the subject... when do we stop worrying about age and start telling the difference between corps as "touring" and "non-touring"? To me, age has never been the critical divider - it is the difference between touring (and practicing mega hours a week while on tour allowing you to perfect your product to a high degree) and being weekend warriors who mix smart rehearsal time, a dose of experienced people and youthful talent to put out as good and entertaining a product as possible for the audience...

it's just NOT about age folks... and by the way, NEVER has been... as I've told you all many times, I began in field competing senior corps in 1959 at the age of 13... the age limit was 21 and corps were getting DQ'd (disqualified not dairy queen'd) for having under 21...

I believe that growing up I had so many "father" figures watching over me that I couldn't possibly have gotten into any real trouble... my point? It's nothing new - has been the same for decades... a delightful combination of youthful enthusiasm and aged experience...

I think perhaps you are reading more into the original question then what was intended (or perhaps I am looking at it too simply). I think the only point that was being made was that at the highest and most competative levels of the activity, show designs are requiring more and more physical demands from their members. As I stated above, these demands can take their toll on the more senior members of the activity at a quicker rate than our younger counterparts. As the physical demands continue to increase, this could pose a roadblock for people who's physical limitations might restrict their ability to succeed. Not saying anything should change, just pointing out a fact.

Dan