The Knights

Thank you Mr. Boo et al for the walk down memory lane. You posted more score info than I remember.

The Hi Cam video from Miami 1983 makes for an interesting watch. Pretty darn clean for a 16th place corps in that day and age.

I agree, and the knight's head at the climax of "3/4 March" in "Camelot" was worth the wait. I think this was Al Temby's best work with drum corps.

I agree, and the knight's head at the climax of "3/4 March" in "Camelot" was worth the wait. I think this was Al Temby's best work with drum corps.

As a MM, the Knight's head to the end was my favorite part of the show. Mr. Kerchner's horn book was no slouch, either, with the reprise of Ruslan & Ludmilla.

i remember reading about that in Drum Corps World, but all I remember about the time period was it wasn't until sometime after 1985. However, I don't remember if it was before or after the corps merged with Emerald Knights in 1988. I don't remember it lasting more than a year, but I'm fuzzy on that.

I'm not sure when the sponsorship started but 1985 would be a good guess. Knights Inn had a plaque in the hotel lobby with a picture of a corps member explaining the sponsorship. I believe it ended just before the 1990 season as the parent company of Knights Inn ran into financial difficulty and cancelled the sponsorship. Caused some hardship with the corps as they gave no warning and the sponsorship money had been committed.

The merger with the Emerald Knights was in 1991 not 1988. It only lasted a year before the corps separated again.

I was going through some old programs, and while looking at them, saw some of the old names familiar to the quad city area. I know I probably should remember or know this, but unfortunately cannot remember what the story was.

Were the Quad City Knights, the Geneseo Knights and the Knights all the same corps? For some reason I thought they competed against each other at different times, but one of my band director friends thought that two of them had merged to become one corps. He also thought there was another corps involved as well. So was there a 4 corps connection somehow, and can anyone explain what happened there? I am sorry if this causes any painful memories for anyone. I seem to recall all of these corps being very good at different times. And I honestly can't remember seeing a thread about any of these corps, other than them maybe being mentioned in corps that no longer exist.

The name progression was Kewanee Black Knights, Geneseo Knights, Quad City Knights, Knight Command ('90), The Knights ('91-'95). All the same corps. There was a one year merger with the Emerald Knights of Cedar Rapids in 1991.

Shameless plug: there's a startup Drum Corps in Wisconsin called the N.E.W. Royal Knights that might be worth checking out... you know, since in this day and age we're losing so many corps? :lookaround:

The merger with the Emerald Knights was in 1991 not 1988. It only lasted a year before the corps separated again.

Thank you. I originally had 1991 and then started to doubt my info, so I changed it. I've changed it back.

Why didn't the merger work out? I don't remember ever hearing that.

I had just been wondering about the Nite Express thing. I had thought before that Nite Express was Emerald Knights. So if I understand correctly, Emerald Knights Merged with Geneseo Knights for one season? And that was the year they were Quad City Knights? Then they split back up and there was Knights, and Nite Express both competing for several more years?

A couple of these posts seem to overlap, and don't seem quite right. Were they the Quad City Knights prior to the merger with Emerald Knights? Or is that a name they took for one year(supposedly 1991 was the only year for the merger?) That also seems like a weird merger, since Quad Cities and Cedar Rapids are like 4 hours apart? But an inconvenience is definitely better than 2 corps folding. So Nite Express went several years, and then folded, but didn't they re-emerge in the early 2000s for a couple of seasons as Emerald Knights again?

• Like 1

Adding to the confusion, the Emerald Knights were formed from a merger of the Cedar Rapids Bees (feeder corps to the CR Cadets/Grenadiers) and the Scarlet Angels drill team.

BTW, CR is only ~80 miles from the Quads.