The Knights

Mr. Boo, with much much much much MUCCCCCHHHHHH due respect. I'm fairly certain that both the "Quad City Knights" and the Emerald Knights both existed separately in 1988. Both under those very names but separate. It was my understanding that it was a simple name change by the Geneseo Knights. In fact, I have the 1988 Original VHS Tape and it has a highlight performance from the Emerald Knights (who were one of the top Class A corps for that year).

Check your info, my very smart and knowlesgable friend. :-)

It was a poor choice of words on my part to write that they merged to "form" the Quad City Knights. I'll correct it to read that the two corps merged and utilized the name "Quad City Knights," which one corps was already using.

I've got to go through my DCI program books to figure out when they became just "The Knights."

PS: Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Edited by Michael Boo

During the early 1980's the Geneseo Knights also drew a double-digit quantity of veteran members from the Statesmen, in the greater Springfield IL area. The first of us made the move in 1981, with the numbers growing steadily over the next few years. Guard, Brass and Percussion all saw an influx. Looking at photos of the Knights from the 1981-83 area, it is hard to find one without at least a few ex-Statesmen in it. It was not easy to leave the Statesmen, but Geneseo welcomed us with open arms.

The Knights (IL) became Knight Command in 1990. Knight Command went by that name only in 1990. The Emerald Knights "merged" with them in '91, but the corps was known as simply the Knights.

The Emerald Knights segment separated themselves from that merger in '92, and became Nite Express.

And then the Knights changed their name back to Quad City Knights in 1994?

During the early 1980's the Geneseo Knights also drew a double-digit quantity of veteran members from the Statesmen, in the greater Springfield IL area. The first of us made the move in 1981, with the numbers growing steadily over the next few years. Guard, Brass and Percussion all saw an influx. Looking at photos of the Knights from the 1981-83 area, it is hard to find one without at least a few ex-Statesmen in it. It was not easy to leave the Statesmen, but Geneseo welcomed us with open arms.

I'm reasonably sure that the Springfield contingent continued into 1984 and possibly 1985.

Yes, I agree. I know of some, but I had aged out by then so my first-hand knowledge from 1984 onward is somewhat limited. The ones I know of were very talented. All the members deserve credit for staying with the corps during a challenging time.

Edited by StanDrumz

that 83 tanking was strange, there was a rumor as to why floating around at the time but who knows?

it was odd though and not just the product of DCM sheets

SOME SAY there was a bargain made with the two bottom-finishers at Finals in 82 to clean up in 83 or you're out. (Doesn't really hold water.) SOME SAY there were certain Geneseo staffers who were not well-liked by the judges. SOME SAY it was simply a matter of the corps peaking too soon. Some say a lot, don't they?