Precisionaires

Tell us about the memories you have either as a fan or as a member. They have been one of my favorite corps since I saw them in North Tonawanda, NY in the 1970's.

I was impressed with them as soon as I first saw them, in '72. They were way ahead of the game, both musically, and in visual staging components. They had quality!

The '73 corps was 25th at DCI, but their GE percussion score was 2nd!!!

The '75 corps could have made DCI finals if only they could have marched better.

The '76 corps started out with only about 40 people on the field, and recruited at every contest the rest of the summer. They miraculously made DCI membership (22nd place).

The Precisionnaires director, "Doc" Crosser lived with ALS for over 10 years (something very few people are able to do). His will to live seems to have rubbed off on his corps, since they could have died

off earlier than they did. Somehow they were able to keep surviving like he did.

Gold Spats...AWESOME!!!!

Didn't they have access to a college stadium for their rehearsals?

I seem to recall reading something about there rehearsal situation. Maybe it was Drum Corps World or Drum Corps News.

The closest college to their hometown of Osage would have been Wartburg College, 40 miles away, so I don't think they would have had much access to a college field.

I think they played a Tower Of Power piece. I remember seeing them and saying "hey that's a pretty chart".

I have it on very good authority that Jim Ott and the rest of the BD staff heard the Precisionaires and immediately flipped. They were a major inspiration for what followed out of Northern CA.

The brass instructor for Osage was the charismatic Bobby Hagglund, a former St. Paul Scout who was playing trombone with a killer funk/R&B group out of Minneapolis called Haze. It's no wonder his hornline could bring it.

(Bobby also ghost wrote for a very prominent drum corps arranger known for his 'groove' charts.)

Haze has a website with some fine examples of their sound. They used to open for the Jackson 5 on tour.

Sadly, Bobby passed on about a month ago. His legacy continues to this day however, through the classic recordings of BDs, VK, Bridgemen and Precisionaires as well as within the hearts of his former students and colleagues.

Regarding the Precisionnaires.....drum corps great Frank Dorittie said that DCI brass judge Rich DeCola told him, "Wait 'till you dig these cats from the cornfields!"

I forgot to mention that the first time I saw them, at '72 U.S. Open, the Precisionnaires didn't even make the Class 'A' finals, yet their hornline took top GE brass!

Edited by Northern Thunder

Wish some former members would chime in here! I really thought (BITD) that I would see this corps in the top 10 of DCI.