4. Opti-Knights 71.20

5. Gen. Butler Vagabonds 70.95

FINALS

1. General Butler Vagabonds 68.30

2. Etobicoke Crusaders 67.75

3. Opti-Knights 66.60

4. Belvederes 66.35

5. Grenadiers 65.95

Funny to see Vagabonds climb from 5th to 1st and Grenadiers to drop from 2nd to 5th. The drop in scores is odd too. However....different panel maybe.

Yes, that just doesn't happen anymore.

I did a "mock" brass judging of the Etobicoke Crusaders that day, between prelims and finals.

We were surprised to see the Vagabonds repeat as U.S. Open champs.

The corps that really stole the show that night was the 6th place Royal Crusaders, who had the crowd eating out of their hands.

I had an audio recording of retreat at one time, and the roar was deafening when they marched by.

I remember Royal Crusaders...didn't the do a "saloon" concert? Playing cards on a bass drum?

Yes, that just doesn't happen anymore.

I did a "mock" brass judging of the Etobicoke Crusaders that day, between prelims and finals.

We were surprised to see the Vagabonds repeat as U.S. Open champs.

The corps that really stole the show that night was the 6th place Royal Crusaders, who had the crowd eating out of their hands.

I had an audio recording of retreat at one time, and the roar was deafening when they marched by.

I also liked the Cambria Cadets, especially there drum line in the early 70's.

I was marching Opti-Knights that year (1972)---almost everyone was doing "Jesus Christ Superstar" music!!---We where beating Crusaders at the start of the year--then they gained on us in Canada--we thought maybe the judging was funky in Canada--we thought once we hit the US Open and different judges that we would be back on top---sadly we where mistaken---Etobicoke had actually worked their arses off and beat us fair and square. The thing you remember 40 years later!!! Used to love going to Marion, Ohio----great town--totally Drum Corps for that whole week!! You always knew in Canada who was drum corps by the US open shirts you saw. I still have my little imitation plastic (wood look-a-like) US open plaque.

I also liked the Cambria Cadets, especially there drum line in the early 70's.

definitely.

and I'll say it again and again - their DM was awesome. a fierce competitor and leader on the field, and when the show was over, a true ambassador for the Cadets, the city and drum corps.