1972 US Open "A" Class

Yes, that just doesn't happen anymore.

I did a "mock" brass judging of the Etobicoke Crusaders that day, between prelims and finals.

We were surprised to see the Vagabonds repeat as U.S. Open champs.

The corps that really stole the show that night was the 6th place Royal Crusaders, who had the crowd eating out of their hands.

I had an audio recording of retreat at one time, and the roar was deafening when they marched by.

Back then I was part of the "Give 'em hell, Finleyville" fan base (OK, my parents were, I was 9) but going to the US Open back then was a great drum corps experience...

Regarding the recording, I don't believe I have the retreat, but I'm pretty sure my dad has the show, complete with them trooping the stands.

Wish i could have seen my corps in their heyday! I saw my first show in 79, and both corps when i was just transitioning from clairnet to drums in hs.

• 2 weeks later...

This would NEVER happen today....

US Open "A" Class Prelims

1. Etobicoke Crusaders 72.90

2. Southern Tier Grenadiers 72.70

3. Belvederes 71.85

4. Opti-Knights 71.20

5. Gen. Butler Vagabonds 70.95

FINALS

1. General Butler Vagabonds 68.30

2. Etobicoke Crusaders 67.75

3. Opti-Knights 66.60

4. Belvederes 66.35

5. Grenadiers 65.95

Funny to see Vagabonds climb from 5th to 1st and Grenadiers to drop from 2nd to 5th. The drop in scores is odd too. However....different panel maybe.

I'm here to share photos with drum corps people. As of today, you have 10 of 20 topics on this forum page. What do you want to do with your threads?

• Like 1

And the problem is...what?

I didn't know there was a limit. Have I gotten to involved? Am I hurting anyone? Tell me so I can stop.

• Like 1

I also liked the Cambria Cadets, especially there drum line in the early 70's.

I remember Cambria from the late 60s when York White Roses were on their state championships winning streak. Cambia was a good up and coming corps that, I believe, eventually overtook York around 69 or 70. Who was their drum instructor? I believe that Paul Titel of York WR and Reading Bucs may have taught them a few years in the 70s. ....Anyone?

Steve

And the problem is...what?

I didn't know there was a limit. Have I gotten to involved? Am I hurting anyone? Tell me so I can stop.

In my post, I stated, made an observation and asked a question. Perhaps the questions should have been why? Are you organizing a reunion? Are you sending information to historical web sites? Are you developing a website? Are you adding information to FB? Do you like DCP?

We stayed with families of General Butler Vagabonds. Thank you! I had friends with Etobicoke Crusaders. Thank you! We competed with Opti-Knights. Love you! Belvederes had a reunion DCP thread here a while ago. Thank you! (btw the DCP upgrade made the search engine limited) Grenadiers? Thank you too! I may have already posted my one Cambria Cadets photo on some old corps photos?

Please slow down Keith. It takes time to savour our wonderful drum corps years :) I like posting old photos! Someday, somewhere I may have an opinion on something? Excuse me but got bigger fish to fry, gotta go.

edit: bottom line; let's stop competing and start collaborating!!!

Edited by lindap
  • Like 1

I guess I don't understand what the problem is? People post all the time...especially about boring garbage, I post historical (fun) things and you bite my head off...I don't get it at all!

I guess I don't understand what the problem is? People post all the time...especially about boring garbage, I post historical (fun) things and you bite my head off...I don't get it at all!

IMHO "boring garbage" might be a phrase that could describe some of your posts (or mine or other people's), but no one is going to ( or should) say that, they just don't reply to them.

Actually, I don't think she bit your head off, cause your still posting?!?!? :lookaround:/>/>

When you have 10 new topics, by default you bury 10 other topics on page two and they may not get discussed, maybe that is what she is saying.

Unfortunately, I seldom have any knowledge of the things you post about, call me stupid. I like to post photos too but most times they go unappreciated. Maybe I post boring photos....LOL

Chill; don’t sweat the small stuff. Music is the universal language! Enjoy :tongue:/>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2FT4FprxDg