More Licensing Issues

I'm glad to have bought the Semi-Finals APD's. I know there not nearly as refined as the published CD's will be, but at least I have the complete PERFORMED content for my listening enjoyment as well as anyone in a 100 foot radius or so if its nice outside!

Anyone remember the days of the Finals CD's being published in a matter of a couple weeks after the season ended?

To DCI (because I know you guys read this forum): I wouldn't want to be in your shoes with all the licensing nightmares-- 10 years ago corps weren't using 10 or 15+ different pieces in some sort of derivative fashion; Thank You for the diligence in making due with what you have.

EDIT: On an interesting note, all the previous shows of copyright challenged material have been pulled from the entire year of performances on the Fan Network. This isn't okay.

Edited by michaeldellario
  • Like 4

Someone at DCI has to be accountable for this. Failure to get proper rights is a reflection on the performance of DCI. There's no reason for this issue to surface year, after year, after year.

Maybe the holder of the rights doesn't want to let DCI have the synch rights at all or at a reasonable cost. It is hardly reflective of DCI in such a case, nor is it reflective of the corps, if they received the rights to use the work in the live show.

• Like 1

Maybe the holder of the rights doesn't want to let DCI have the synch rights at all or at a reasonable cost. It is hardly reflective of DCI in such a case, nor is it reflective of the corps, if they received the rights to use the work in the live show.

You've hit something right on the head. If a rights holder wants more than the rate being paid to all the other rights holders, and if that rights holder did indeed receive more, then all the other rights holders would automatically be required to receive more. (Often referred to as the Most Favored Nations Pricing Clause.) To keep prices under control, DCI would have to forsake paying the rights holder wanting more to preserve the economics of keeping the recordings affordable.

I should add that this is my personal take on this as I understand the situation. I may not be fully accurate on this, nor am I expressing anything official, because in truth, I haven't talked with anyone about it for awhile.

I don't believe so. As problems are discovered, remedies are sought. But things are certainly trickier now than they had been in the past and I wouldn't be surprised if shows become being designed more to get around these problems...and problems that might crop up in the future.

It is the hope of everyone involved with DCI to be able to offer as much content as is absolutely possible. It may be requiring more work in the near future...but it certainly is being addressed and the issue is being taken seriously.

PS: Seriously, it is the hope of everyone involved with DCI that we can find a solution to all this and make unblemished the audio and video heritage of our past, present and future shows for all.

PPS: Seeing that a number of people apparently disagree with my transparency in being willing to openly discuss the truth about people working to at least attempt to resolve these issues as best they can, and that everyone with DCI wants to find a solution...Would people just prefer that I not attempt to bridge the gap between those that honestly want to know what's going on and those who know the answers? Because I'm cool with whatever folks want. I just don't quite comprehend the "shoot the messenger" sense I'm picking up from this, as I've always felt an obligation to let people on DCP know what's going on if I have the information. I thought people appreciated that sort of candor, but I apologize if I'm mistaken.

Mike,

Thank you for this response. I only hope that you, as our "conduit" to the powers that be, can make sure that the original, unedited versions of the show are preserved, even if not made available, in case future legal situations make it possible to release the full shows.

I mention this because I marched back in the Video Express days, and it is my understanding that those masters are lost forever. You mention preserving the historical archive, let's make sure that SOMEONE is keeping the full versions. Please. Thanks.

• Like 1

You're right in regards to designers. However, in our activity, there is a corps director whose job is to monitor all aspects of their corps, including programming and securing all necessary rights.

And THERE is the heart of the matter: the revenue stream is not worth the hassle for DCI to bend over backwards to ensure that corps program their products to industry specs. I can totally respect that answer (assuming it's true and not hypothetical or guesstimate), and will likely respond in kind by not bothers to purchase DVDs and Blu-rays that are disregarded by designers and DCI.

Seriously: I fell this is all cleared up.

So...

who's going to win in 2013?

Who cares? I would only see the shows on FN or BD. If I can see "the show" because it's cut all to pieces why should I bother re-ordering an inferior product?

...and no Doug, I'm not yelling at you or anything directed towards you. If hope the idea above isn't true: that the revenue stream is not worth the hassle for DCI to bend over backwards to ensure that corps program their products to industry specs...

It seems to me that these packages have been successful and expanding, especially the streaming + bluray. So I'm not sure I buy whoever said that...

I think that the realities of the rule changes are starting to bite at DCI because they are not **just** a small organization. They're big enough to be noticed, but small enough not to be able to do that much.

I'm all for corps doing things on the field, but some of the things they're doing are causing a problem that is worse than what they add... Just my opinion though. I'm pretty disappointed. I'm trying to stay involved. I want to be positive. I also want a complete product. This is NOT a complete product.

Edited by jjeffeory

You're right in regards to designers. However, in our activity, there is a corps director whose job is to monitor all aspects of their corps, including programming and securing all necessary rights.

And THERE is the heart of the matter: the revenue stream is not worth the hassle for DCI to bend over backwards to ensure that corps program their products to industry specs. I can totally respect that answer (assuming it's true and not hypothetical or guesstimate), and will likely respond in kind by not bothers to purchase DVDs and Blu-rays that are disregarded by designers and DCI.

Seriously: I fell this is all cleared up.

So...

who's going to win in 2013?

Who cares? I would only see the shows on FN or BD. If I can see "the show" because it's cut all to pieces why should I bother re-ordering an inferior product?

• Like 1

Mike,

Thank you for this response. I only hope that you, as our "conduit" to the powers that be, can make sure that the original, unedited versions of the show are preserved, even if not made available, in case future legal situations make it possible to release the full shows.

I mention this because I marched back in the Video Express days, and it is my understanding that those masters are lost forever. You mention preserving the historical archive, let's make sure that SOMEONE is keeping the full versions. Please. Thanks.

I haven't thought about that angle, but you've sure got me thinking about it now.

• Like 2

I don't believe so. As problems are discovered, remedies are sought. But things are certainly trickier now than they had been in the past and I wouldn't be surprised if shows become being designed more to get around these problems...and problems that might crop up in the future.

It is the hope of everyone involved with DCI to be able to offer as much content as is absolutely possible. It may be requiring more work in the near future...but it certainly is being addressed and the issue is being taken seriously.

PS: Seriously, it is the hope of everyone involved with DCI that we can find a solution to all this and make unblemished the audio and video heritage of our past, present and future shows for all.

PPS: Seeing that a number of people apparently disagree with my transparency in being willing to openly discuss the truth about people working to at least attempt to resolve these issues as best they can, and that everyone with DCI wants to find a solution...Would people just prefer that I not attempt to bridge the gap between those that honestly want to know what's going on and those who know the answers? Because I'm cool with whatever folks want. I just don't quite comprehend the "shoot the messenger" sense I'm picking up from this, as I've always felt an obligation to let people on DCP know what's going on if I have the information. I thought people appreciated that sort of candor, but I apologize if I'm mistaken.

I'm glad they want to try.....but does it make financial sense?

And you would think after Madison and ESOM, people would have learned. They haven't. And probably won't, because to them, what happens on that Saturday night in August in the Oil Echo Chamber is more important