Frank Buscemi

ironlips

Frank left us a couple of days ago.

Many of us had memorized his solos years before we ever met the man. Not that we could actually play them, even after we knew the notes, for only he could do them justice. We knew them by heart however, from the recordings we played endlessly. Even now these are sounding loud and clear in my mind.

What a baseball bat was to Ted Williams, a sporano bugle was to Frank Buscemi: pure poetry. We thought of him as "the best of the best", as gracious and unselfish as he was gifted.

Frank Buscemi and the beautiful sounds he created will be remembered by all who ever knew or heard him.

agreed Frank....saw Frank at the Reilly I&E show for the BHOF this past season and, as usual, enjoyed his company and conversation......I had no idear that would be the last time I would see/hear him.....something to think about

Jim

Frank left us a couple of days ago.

Many of us had memorized his solos years before we ever met the man. Not that we could actually play them, even after we knew the notes, for only he could do them justice. We knew them by heart however, from the recordings we played endlessly. Even now these are sounding loud and clear in my mind.

What a baseball bat was to Ted Williams, a sporano bugle was to Frank Buscemi: pure poetry. We thought of him as "the best of the best", as gracious and unselfish as he was gifted.

Frank Buscemi and the beautiful sounds he created will be remembered by all who ever knew or heard him.

The thing is, he was "a natural". I mean he had that sound (every musician recognizes it) that appeared to be absolutely effortless.

The rest of us have to work our gonads off to achieve an approximation of it but some just seem to produce it witout any stress at all. Now, of course, that is not true but their struggle never finds its way into the sound.

I often play Frank's solo in "Mardi Gras March" at the end of my warm up, just to make sure I'm ready to perform, but it always takes physical effort and concentration, and never sounds like him. Understand I have benn doing this since around 1964.

Most people on DCP have never heard of him but his actual impact is enormous. He influenced everybody from the 1950's onward, whether they realized it or not. If Tommy Martin is the Harry James of Drum Corps and John Simpson and Billy Hightower were the Tommy Dorsey and J.J. Johnson, Frank Buscemi was the Doc Severensen. Anyone I ever taught got a taste of him if I was doing my job.

Whenever any soloist is heard in drum corps, Frank Buscemi's spirit is there. That is his legacy.

I often play Frank's solo in "Mardi Gras March" at the end of my warm up, just to make sure I'm ready to perform, but it always takes physical effort and concentration, and never sounds like him. Understand I have benn doing this since around 1964.

I find this interesting. I don't recall learning the song during the winter of 63/64, but I can tell you the song by itself is a lot easier to play than the solo/duet. Bobby Allan joined Frank half way through the solo to complete the piece. I'm guessing this can only be heard on the 1964 World Open record, aside from the snip on Seldens site. Bob Bunce I believe did the arrangement for Selden in 61. Not completely sure of that but it would make sense. Knowing both gentlemen, I can see Bunce handing the sheet to Frank and saying, "Here, you know what to do with it".

I've always wondered who wrote the original piece. I've read credits by Paul Webster and Sammy Fain as well as way back to Buddy Bolden. I just might dig deeper now.

Mr. Dorritie nails it in saying his playing seemed effortless and it's no secret all the great ones have a sound of their own.

Here's an interesting take on that solo from Westminster chorus. It starts at the 1:40 mark. Just think how difficult that solo must have been in 64 on Getzen plumbing.

Enjoy:

Edited by gsksun4

Where can we hear the Mardi Gras solo...I remember when my brother Jim had the album with that solo on it. Marvel...

Where can we hear the Mardi Gras solo...I remember when my brother Jim had the album with that solo on it. Marvel...

Donny,

Until you get the Fleetwood CD, here's a link to Best of Selden on their site. Click on the bottom, 1964 Opener - Mardi Gras March. This is from the 64 World Open at Hedges Stadium in Bridgeport, CT., junior finals.

At the top I believe is the 1959 Dream Contest with Frank's opening solo.

http://www.seldencadets.org/15_best_of_selden.htm

Edited by gsksun4