Best Original Music for Drum Corps

Suncoast 1985 for me still remains the gold standard. It was extremely catchy, memorable and didn't feel like it was all original - there was something so familiar with the music- a real masterpiece.

Later,

Mike

• Like 5

I really enjoyed Bocook's "Liquid" in Cadets 2005.

Oh, and Suncoast Sound 1985. :worthy:

Suncoast 1985!!!!!!!! Love it. Always have and always will.

• Like 3

There is so little understanding of the basics of copyright, even among professionals.

These pieces are "original" to the authors, as are all compositions. Those authors (the gifted Mr. Thrower, for example) are entitled to all the rights of the copyright holder, including the right to collect a fee for synchronization.

These fees are negotiable.

Edited by ironlips

Hey DCP:

With all the discussion of synch rights, blanked out DVDs and Blu-Rays, I thought I'd pose a question regarding the best ORIGINAL work done for drum corps. For example, in Canton, Ohio, the Bluecoats are blessed to have an awesome talent in Doug Thrower. Consider the original work he's done along with Tom Rarick. "Ritual" from 2012 is one of best works from this past season. Pulling info from corpsreps, check out the original works that they've done.

2000 Bluecoats Intro Thrower, Doug;

2000 Bluecoats Finale Thrower, Doug;

2003 Bluecoats Original Thrower, Doug;

2010 Bluecoats Metropolis Thrower, Doug; Rarick, Tom;

2012 Bluecoats Ritual Thrower, Doug; Rarick, Tom

What other original compositions are worthy of mention? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Speaking about Doug Thrower, here's a great pod cast with Doug. Great insight into Doug's arranging, insight, and a little humor "Throw'n" in!

http://www.marchingr...sody-in-bloooo/

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1