The 990's

Let's start with DCI itself.

WAY TO GO, DCI! This looks pretty great!

TOTAL REVENUE:

2009: $8,592,976

2010: $8,838,914

2011: $9,722, 125

TOTAL EXPENSES:

2009: $8,542,134

2010: $8,875,705

2011: $9,429,827

REVENUE LESS EXPENSES:

2009: $50,842

2010: ($36,791) a loss

2011: $292,298

NET ASSETS:

2009: $205,958

2010: $290,657

2011: $604,119

Wow! By the measures of cash flow and assets, it looks like DCI had a fabulous 2011! GREAT JOB, DCI!

It looks like DCI has gotten healthier in the last three years. But we'll look next at the numbers behind these totals to see if we can tell why that is.

For now, let's celebrate what appears to be a solid performance by the staff of DCI!

:thumbup::babies:

• Like 7

So are you going to be grouping these in a "the good, the bad and the ugly" order? :tongue:

• Like 2

So are you going to be grouping these in a "the good, the bad and the ugly" order? :tongue:

Nah, Fran, I'm not going to try to "make your day". My intent is simply to go down the list of 2012 placements from finals week, just to make it easy. This method might also illuminate whether it's true that competitive placement is a function of financial health.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Before we dig deeper into the numbers, and at the risk of hijacking my own thread, I find this interesting:

Line 1 in the summary statement asks the organization to "Briefly describe the organizations mission or most significant activities". DCI writes:

"Drum Corps International is a nonprofit youth organization serving junior drum & bugle corps around the world. DCI provides leadership and guidance to these corps, as well as organizing and unifying this activity."

• Like 1

Hmm... a negative rating on the intro? Interesting. With no comment posted it's not easy to tell what the poster is opposed to. Is it the premise? A waste of time? You're bored?

I surely understand that there are those who don't give a darn, but I surely don't understand the opposition to learning. But that's just me.

Meh...ignored.

• Like 5

I find it fascinating, garfield! Keep going!

and way to go DCI!! Did DCI ever get a Chase grant? Angel donor? Investments? Frugality? That's a huge jump in 2011!

first off...ratings are...well...I mean look at mine. way too high.

so who cares if you get reds or greens, keep doing what you're doing!

• Like 2

first off...ratings are...well...I mean look at mine. way too high.

so who cares if you get reds or greens, keep doing what you're doing!

First off, thanks. And to the rating, it's the sentiment, not the number. I'm going to keep staring at the 990's but I sure don't need to post them if no one cares. So I'll keep going until the thread dies in, oh, about 25 corps from now. :tongue:

• Like 2

So, let's look at "Revenue".

First is an entry called "Gross Receipts". This is the highest level of classification for the "size" of DCI. I suspect that all sources of "receipts" are included here. So for the past three years, DCI has made some progress:

2009: $10,224,576

2010: $9,859,668 (minus $364,908 from 2009)

2011: $10,828,969 (plus $969,301 from 2010, and $604,393 from 2009. A 5.9% increase over the three years)

• Like 1