1. Contributions and Grants

2. Program Service revenue

3. Investment Income

4. Other revenue

For the three years, Contributions and Grants looks like this:

2009: $327,262

2010: $352,720

2011: $710,196

Nice! That's a 117% percent gain over the three years. Whatever they did to change their work here in 2011 surely paid off.

There's a reference to a subsection that's supposed to further break down this category but, of the categories available, the only one that has an entry is "All other contributions, gifts, grants, and smaller amounts not included above". So, we don't know if this is a stepped up fundraising program (a "systemic" change) or if it was a one-time grant with some entity, personal or corporate.

Still, whatever change occured in 2011 was a good one.

Off to rake leaves!

More later.

• Like 1

I'm going to take a guess that one reason for the sudden surplus is NOT paying for ESPN2 airtime.

Sam, I don't know, but didn't ESPN broadcasts end long before 2009? Would they still be paying ESPN? Was there a debt incurred that was paid off in these three years?

• Like 1

Next, "Revenue" is broken down into four categories:

1. Contributions and Grants

2. Program Service revenue

3. Investment Income

4. Other revenue

For the three years, Contributions and Grants looks like this:

2009: $327,262

2010: $352,720

2011: $710,196

Nice! That's a 117% percent gain over the three years. Whatever they did to change their work here in 2011 surely paid off.

There's a reference to a subsection that's supposed to further break down this category but, of the categories available, the only one that has an entry is "All other contributions, gifts, grants, and smaller amounts not included above". So, we don't know if this is a stepped up fundraising program (a "systemic" change) or if it was a one-time grant with some entity, personal or corporate.

Still, whatever change occured in 2011 was a good one.

Off to rake leaves!

More later.

When I asked Rex if he remembered anything he reminded me that DCI won $125k in the Chase Community Giving program in 2011. That explains one big chunk of it that will be a one-time shot.

As for the raking of leaves didn't we see a Garfield's Kid on these forums sometime back?

• Like 2

When I asked Rex if he remembered anything he reminded me that DCI won $125k in the Chase Community Giving program in 2011. That explains one big chunk of it that will be a one-time shot.

As for the raking of leaves didn't we see a Garfield's Kid on these forums sometime back?

Be sure to thank Rex for his stellar memory, Beto. The Chase grant leaves $585,196 in unexplained "Contributions". Anyone else have a recollection of a special grant or contribution that may explain the increase?

Garfield's Kid and his little sister are mowing and picking up dog poop, Garfield's better half is raking leaves.

Garfield just came in to refill his adult beverege before resuming his supervisory role.

• Like 4

Alright, let's look at "Program Service Revenue". This is the category that includes income from shows and the like, and generally has a couple of income items that comprise it.

Here's the top line number:

2009: $8,040,721

2010: $8,121,373 (plus $80,652 [1%] over 2009)

2011: $8,670,094 (plus $548,721 [6.7%] over 2010, plus $629,373 [7.8%] over 2009)

Here again, an impressive gain both year-to-year and over the three years.

There are two categories that make up "Program Revenue". There's "Program Revenue" and "DCI Magazine" (although the magazine is called "Unrelated Business Revenue").

Program Revenue:

2009: $7,824,857

2010: $8,001,731 (plus $176,874 [2.3%] over 2009)

2011: $8,540,384 (plus $538,653 (6.7%] over 2010, plus $715,527 [9.1%] over 2009)

DCI Magazine

2009: $215,864

2010: $119,642 (minus $96,222 [44.6%] from 2009)

2011: $129,710 (plus $10,068 [8.4%] from 2010, minus $86,154 [40%] from 2009)

So, it's obvious that "Program Revenue", which is everything other than the magazine, like shows, clinics, and "programs" was the primary driver of the gains in overall Revenue.

We know there weren't more shows in 2010 or 2011 (in fact, I seem to remember seeing that there were a few less shows each of the years), so it must mean that there was higher revenue per show or event. Could be more fans paying the same price or it could be the same number of fans paying a higher ticket price. It could also be fewer fans paying a substantially higher ticket price.

Don't I remember seeing that overall attendance was up in 2011 (I know it was in 2012), and my ticket price to finals was the same over the three years. So I guess we see here the impact of more fans in the stands.

Unless someone else has a different opinion, which is usually the case on DCP.

:tongue:

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

First off, thanks. And to the rating, it's the sentiment, not the number. I'm going to keep staring at the 990's but I sure don't need to post them if no one cares. So I'll keep going until the thread dies in, oh, about 25 corps from now. :tongue:

I don't "get" you getting a negative for simply posting a mission statement, either. But like Jeff said... those green-red things are no big deal.

Keep the posts coming... this thread is great!!!

• Like 1

Sam, I don't know, but didn't ESPN broadcasts end long before 2009? Would they still be paying ESPN? Was there a debt incurred that was paid off in these three years?

It was just a guess...I don't remember what the last year they paid for was...

The 2007 broadcast is on-line, but have no idea if that was the last one.

2007 was the last time DCI was on ESPN.