The 990's

I understand that DCI is making a profit here... this is excellent. I'm just curious what the money from DCI actually goes toward? I assume they have to rent the big stadiums, and I have no idea how much that costs. I assume that is part of it. At the local schools, those shows are paying DCI, so what is DCI paying? Does it go to advertising?

DCI pays $4 million and get $8 million in return. What are they spending the $4 million on? I must be missing something big (and probably obvious), I just don't see where that money is going. Who are they writing those $4 million in checks to?

I wish I had your answers, Soccerguy, but those are questions of background that just aren't here. The books of DCI obviously have them, but that detail is not requested in the 990s.

You might consider writing a nice note to Mr. Wayne Leide at DCI. I'd bet he can give you a rough overview of what they spend on. I'd bet it's expenses that are justifiable. They might be bloated, but I doubt you'd find spending on junkets to expensive playgrounds for Dan and his guests. /sarcasm

Would be interesting to know... But you do that one, OK?

Just a couple more expense catagories until we're done. Now comes:

Fan Network Expenses*

2009: $259,736

2010: $258,595 (basically flat from 2009)

2011: $341,113 (plus $82,518 [32%] from 2010 and about the same increase from 2009)

*Interesting here. In 2011, this is called Fan Network Expenses. Not knowing the costs of maintaining our beloved FN, I thought this reflected the maintenance of the site (and some of that may be included here).

But a clue popped up in the 2009 and 2010 line items, where it's called "Corps Fan Network Payout". So this expense, I suspect, is the rights money paid out to corps for viewings of their content on FN. I'd suspect, rationally, that if this is the case, the corps with the highest viewership got the biggest pieces of this payout. Wouldn't it be fun to see who had the highest viewership?

It used to be when you signed up with Fan Network through one of the Corps' websites a piece of that went to the corps. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not.

Here is one of the "Other" categories that I just don't understand. It seems odd, out of place for some reason, and totally imprudent (recognizing, of course, that I don't know any details). I've been reading DCI's 990's for years and this one just sticks in my craw every time I see it. Even though, in the big picture, it's a small item (less than 3% of the budget), it still irritates me. It is:

Bank and Credit Card Charge

2009: $193,072

2010: $247,890

2011: $248,756

In this day and age of 0% overnight funding, why on Earth can't they find a way to more efficiently manage the liquidity?

Total functional expenses for 2011 were $8,542,134. That means credit and bank charges were 2.91% of expenses even if you assume they put the entire year's expenses on the card. The major revenues to DCI begin with the season, but I understand that expenses can be year round for booking venues and securing suppliers. But would DCI put such expenses on a credit card?

Isn't this item the fee DCI pays credit companies for customers using credit cards to pay DCI? It seems to me that the bank fees are 2 - 3%. No?

Seems to me I remember that merchants will soon be allowed to pass these fees on to customers--which would encourage use of debit rather than credit cards, with lower fees.

I understand that DCI is making a profit here... this is excellent. I'm just curious what the money from DCI actually goes toward? I assume they have to rent the big stadiums, and I have no idea how much that costs. I assume that is part of it. At the local schools, those shows are paying DCI, so what is DCI paying? Does it go to advertising?

DCI pays $4 million and get $8 million in return. What are they spending the $4 million on? I must be missing something big (and probably obvious), I just don't see where that money is going. Who are they writing those $4 million in checks to?

Something just dawned on me that may be a so-obvious answer to your question.

Nowhere in the expenses do I see an entry that represents payout to corps, either from tour shows or from "settling" with them after the season's over and the books are done.

I don't know this for certain, but this "expense" could be paying the fee for corps to show up. Even the settling of the season could be included here.

The corps are an expense that must be paid for from DCI's budget. Like venue costs, no other expense category is a big enough dollar amount, so the payments to the corps must be in here.

Good question for Wayne, if someone cares.

Edited by garfield

There you go Jeff. I big fat red mark! hahahaha thumbup.gif

I'm sure that'll bring your rating down!

yay!

One last expense, and then I'll wrap up with the few nickels spent here or there.

Advertising and Promotion

2009: $153,467

2010: $165,763

2011: $294.064

Wowza! So here's the proof that you have to spend money to make money.

I love seeing this. We need more of this, IMO.

"Broadcast and Production" expenses may include maintenance of the FN, or not, but it's been pretty consistent, growing from $202,000 in '09 to $214,000 in 2011. This may be Tom Blair's payout, and I don't think many would doubt that he puts plenty of work into "cleaning up" the production for the DVDs and BluRays.

"Printing and Publications" costs have declined, as you might expect. In 2009 it was $250,661 and in 2011 it was $178,340.

"Telephone and Internet cost". In 2009 they were $229,188. In 2011 they were $160,983.

They're still paying the post office $19,386 (up from about $17,000 in '09). I suppose this could be FedEx document deliveries as well.

"Bad Debt Expense" shows up for the first time in 2011, at $20,000 that someone stiffed them on. Ream, did you pay your Fan Network bill? :tongue:

uh no. see ya cant log on if they turn the card down.

i know because in 09 i used an expired card not realizing it

:tongue:

I think that $20,000 in bad debt was Boo's. He pays them to write for them and he stiffed them to go buy more cheese before the Mayan prediction comes true.

More like, he's still classified as an intern, making $19,000 a year.

:tongue:

I can truthfully tell you I don't make anything near that amount...but I wish.

Great thread, but one thing I want to know... where does Boo's pay figure into all of this... because whatever it is, they're not paying him enough.

From your mouth to Dan's ear. :tongue:

• Like 1