The 990's

Ha! I see we have a smart-alec in our midst.

:tongue:/>/>

Were you referring to me? You have no idea. And my name is not alec.

Were you referring to me? You have no idea. And my name is not alec.

Not unless you gave me a red -, after I mentioned my affection for the little green plus signs.

It's all good. No harm intended even if it was you; I suspected others would cover my negatives with positives...

:tongue:/>

• Like 2

I'm not having any luck in finding any Guidestar listings for Cascades, Seattle Cascades, Seattle drum corps, or anything else.

Anyone know of another name or identity that Cascades may go by in their filings?

Beuhler?

Beuhler?

Looks like they're operating under Northwest Youth Music Association

http://www.nwyouthmusic.org

Edited by mobrien

"And now, please welcome to the field, from Seattle, Washington, The Cascades!"

I'm going to veer off course a bit before we dig into Cascades 990's to reflect some interesting numbers from their past. I do this so we can also reflect on Glassmen's choice to go inactive in 2012.

There is a 990 form in the filings that asks the corps to report "Public Support" going back five years. I've not shown these numbers for prior corps because the rest of the filings only show three years worth of data. But in Cascades case the history is quite illustrative.

But first, here are a couple of paragraphs that I snipped from the "History" page on Cascades' website:

"In 2008, the oragnization's 50th anniversary, the Cascades Independent winterguard won the "A" Class World Title at the Winter Guard International Championships in Dayton, Ohio. Unfortunately, that summer the leadership decided to shut the drum corps down for one year to finally rid itself of the debts acquired after the 2006 bingo shutdown. (emphasis mine)

2009 was a successful rebuild of the organization, with Sal Leone forming a executive committee of talented local teachers, it was like rebuilding the corps from scratch. At the first 2009 camp there were only 17 brass, but the season ended with 42 brass on the field. This season there was a brief one year merger between the Cascades and Spokane Thunder which helped bring the membership numbers up. The semi-trailers got a much needed paint job and new graphics to help represent the rebirth of the Cascades. The corps placed dead last in World Class, but, the success was proven by just being active and getting the performers back on the field."

Here are the numbers from Cascades' 2009 990's:

Support Schedule for Organization

Section A: Public Support

"Gifts, grants, contributions, and membership fees received", and

"Gross Receipts from admissions, merchandise sold or sevices performed, or facilities furnished in any activity that is related to the organization's tax-exempt purpose"

2004: $4,166,441

2005: $2,503,244

2006: $422,801

2007: $172,912

2008: $343,799

2009: $427,208

2010: $458,432

I post this to not only give credit (massive credit!) to Cascades for figuring out how to survive a devastating loss of a primary funding source, but also to suggest that they may be the best example for Glassmen to follow back to health and WC membership.

While I've not yet dug deeply into Cascades current financials, I have to say right up front...

Way to go, Cascades and your staff and leaders for not giving up when the future looked very, very dark! Your surviving is an example that many can follow.

:thumbup:/> :thumbup:/>

Edited by garfield

But first, here are a couple of paragraphs that I snipped from the "History" page on Cascades' website:

"In 2008, the oragnization's 50th anniversary, the Cascades Independent winterguard won the "A" Class World Title at the Winter Guard International Championships in Dayton, Ohio. Unfortunately, that summer the leadership decided to shut the drum corps down for one year to finally rid itself of the debts acquired after the 2006 bingo shutdown. (emphasis mine)

That history page is an inspiring read for any drum corps facing tough times (and I had no idea the Cascades have been around for so long).

The Cascades

Gross Receipts

2009: $343,799

2010: $427,208

2011: $458,432

Observation: I imagine them seeing the bright, white light in 2008, and hearing the angels singing "Come into the light". And saying, in return, "No thanks. Not this time!"