The 990's

DING! DING! DING!

As post #1000 you are a winner!

And you win, well, nothing.

But thanks for playing!

I'm off right now to start the 990 discussion thread so let me ask that you post comments over there so that these pages remain mostly data. (Mike, can you arrange for your two posts above to be copied over there?)

BTW...this thread has been a hot topic among people that don't post here.

you know those people we're always told by some look down on DCP and trash the place

this is good to hear... While this thread might be light on discussion, it contributes a lot of information to us fans that we wouldn't have otherwise had, and I think it is definitely one of the best threads that has been on DCP.

major kudos to garfield.

One more before dinner.

"Judges and Program Staff":

2009: $479,771

2010: $525,017 (plus $45,246 [9.4%] over 2009)

2011: $584,276 (plus $59,259 [11.3%] over 2010, plus $104,505 [21.7%] over 2009)

Some of you may have caught that judges "salaries" don't total to the $1.3-million shown in total salaries and benefits. The $584,276 plus the $202,716 in executive pay equals $793,992. DCI lists 30 additional employed staff. The unaccounted-for difference in salaries is $577,002 which, divided by 30 equals $19,233 average per employee. That amount seems to make sense for a non-profit to pay an "employee", especially if those employees are interns.

Obviously, the pay scale is not linear, and some employees make more than others, I'd bet.

EDIT: Upon re-reading this post now more than a month later, I'm going to add a thought that, apparently, eluded me way back then: It could be that DCI's judges expenses were up because they hired more judges during the season. It's a reason I even alluded to several posts ago when I commented that Travel expenses were down, possibly because DCI hired more local judges. My rant below may surely apply but, because we don't know the cause of the increase, the answer may be less "greedy" than I wrote at the time.

As to judges pay above, it seems to me that judges enjoyed a nice pay raise during the three years shown. I wonder how many other jobs in the country enjoyed a +/- 10% salary increase in the last three years? Surely this is not a linear increase with some judges enjoying a pay increase and others not, I would suspect, but judging a drum corps show and a nice pay raise, after your expenses are covered by DCI, seems like a great gig to me! Heck, I'd judge for free just for the fun, but then everyone would score over 95 if I did!

:tongue:/>/>

Oh, and another thought, to be fair. This category includes "show staff". It could be that the increase in costs in this category was, at least in part, an increase in show staff, maybe provided by the venue. It's not identifiable that the judge's salaries made up all of the increase above.

I can assure you that judges fees have not been raised in several years. For a "normal" 8 corps show, a judge makes a whopping $250. $50 more for World Championships. A minimum of 24 hours investment for two-fiddy. Still want the gig?

Edited by Schnitzel

I can assure you that judges fees have not been raised in several years. For a "normal" 8 corps show, a judge makes a whopping $250. $50 more for World Championships. A minimum of 24 hours investment for two-fiddy. Still want the gig?

Are you kidding? If I were qualified (I'm likely not) I'd take the gig for nothing.

Are you kidding? If I were qualified (I'm likely not) I'd take the gig for nothing.

You certainly have a command of numbers! :^ )

Edited by Schnitzel

• 1 month later...