The 990's

I'd be curious to see if there is a significant revenue jump the year after a corps makes finals. Like, Academy this year, Troopers and Spirit, etc. I'd imagine it'd be huge (ex. the rumors of all the kids looking to audition with Academy for 2017).

Concerning revenue and 990's - are Drum Corps Membership Dues generally placed under program services or contributions? One could make the argument that the contributions from members are what keeps the program going, but one could also also it's a program service charge as they are provided a learning experience out of it. ...just curious

It might be under Program Service revenues, but I've not found any that are under Contributions. The manually-filed 990 form that some corps use allows for all Program Service revenues to be bundled together (Crown is an example) but the e-file version that others use (BK is an example) has a specific line for Member Dues.

It might be under Program Service revenues, but I've not found any that are under Contributions. The manually-filed 990 form that some corps use allows for all Program Service revenues to be bundled together (Crown is an example) but the e-file version that others use (BK is an example) has a specific line for Member Dues.

Ah! Geek-speak at it's best. I'm glad someone understands it and keeps it all honest. :-)

I'd be curious to see if there is a significant revenue jump the year after a corps makes finals. Like, Academy this year, Troopers and Spirit, etc. I'd imagine it'd be huge (ex. the rumors of all the kids looking to audition with Academy for 2017).

If you give me a corps that fits the parameter, I'll do a little research to see.

Just out of curiosity, I did a quick check of Crown to see if they got a pop after 2013...

Total Revenue (% increase from prior year)

2011: $1,586,936

2012: $1,693,886 (6.7%)

2013: $1,860,134 (9.8%)

2014: $1,960,232 (5.38%)

Concerning revenue and 990's - are Drum Corps Membership Dues generally placed under program services or contributions? One could make the argument that the contributions from members are what keeps the program going, but one could also also it's a program service charge as they are provided a learning experience out of it. ...just curious

It seems that when 990 discussions come up, drum corps reports things differently from other non-profits due to the uniqueness of the activity, but my guess would be that dues and contributions are both income, dues could not be listed as contributions. A contribution would entitle a person to write it off on income tax returns. This would be problematic because the person paying the membership dues would be receiving services which would mean the value of the services would need to deducted from the contribution.

• Like 1

garfield, I would like to add my thanks to you for helping all of us to better understand the financial dimensions of this activity.

I am particularly looking forward to your report and analysis of the bronze medalist in 2012.

• Like 1

garfield, I would like to add my thanks to you for helping all of us to better understand the financial dimensions of this activity.

I am particularly looking forward to your report and analysis of the bronze medalist in 2012.

Phannndddoommmmmm Rrrreeegggimmenntt!

post 432 or so...

HERE

• Like 1

Phannndddoommmmmm Rrrreeegggimmenntt!

post 432 or so...

HERE

garfield...I actually be interested in seeing your analysis at some point for Boston...considering people have been making fun of them and calling them money bags lately...LOL

It's really interesting to go searching for corps placements in the Caption Ranking System HERE on DCP. What's more interesting is to go looking for a corps that recently broke into the top-12 so I can find their 990s after they did so. Since 2003 it seems to flip-flp between Colts and Spirit, but neither one stayed there for long.

Because there are so few samples I don't think it would be feasible to show a pattern of increased revenue after making the Saturday night club.

garfield...I actually be interested in seeing your analysis at some point for Boston...considering people have been making fun of them and calling them money bags lately...LOL

Just for you, Liahona, I updated the next two years of income, expenses, and net assets available on Guidestar. They are posts 576 and 577 HERE.

These numbers are for the 2013 marching season so things could have changed significantly in the last three years but, according to what's there, BAC is not rolling in dough, spends almost all or more than they bring in, and their net assets were still negative.