The 990's

Concerning revenue and 990's - are Drum Corps Membership Dues generally placed under program services or contributions? One could make the argument that the contributions from members are what keeps the program going, but one could also also it's a program service charge as they are provided a learning experience out of it. ...just curious

One could do that, if they wanted to join Bialystock and Bloom in prison.

If someone is getting something in exchange for their money, it's not a donation. It's why, when you donated to the local PBS station (as you should), the tote bag they send you technically knocks down the tax deductible value of your donation.

College tuition, political donations, and other things that can be expected to provide a service or product of value are also not considered 'donations.'

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 11/12/2012 at 9:42 PM, garfield said:

EDIT: The following rant is unnecessary and completely explained by common sense that simply eluded me, as explained in the follow-up posts.

In early stages of reading through the 990s thread. And also only a short-time participant on DCP.

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone do some rethinking and and then correcting. And making it public. (Actually, I'm probably wrong, since there are many sincere posters on here with an honest interest in critical thinking. But this is the only one that sticks out right now.)

Regardless, good for you, garfield.

Best thread on DCP! :-D 

well... okay, the lolcorps thread's pretty great... kinda miss it...

• Like 1

Going waaaaay back in this thread, someone asked what expenses DCI might have in producing a show. I don't have any insight specifically, but some of the expenses I've dealt with when putting together large events include:

- Permit fees for street closures and event permits

- Security - both off-duty police for traffic and paying medics on standby

- Trash removal

- Rental items - stanchions, barricades, tents, AV equipment, tables, chairs, walkie talkies, golf carts, etc.

- Liability insurance - I would imagine theirs is more than just the standard "slip and fall", so might be pretty expensive. Most venues that you rent out require at least a $1 M rider, and I would imagine this takes more than that. This would require a certificate be issued for each venue, adding the venue as additional insured.

- Rain insurance for outdoor shows - this costs more than you might think....Depending on how much of the ticket income they want to recover in case of cancellation and the amount of rain at which it kicks in, this can be costly. For instance, covering 80% of the gate at .25" of rain during gate open hours would cost more than covering 60% of the gate. 

- Of course venue rental, if applicable, and the associated fees - how many of the venue staff do you need on-site, for instance janitorial, administrative, facilities - you have to pay the guy who has the key to unlock the loading dock, ya know. Some sites may charge a damage deposit and withhold some of it if the turf needs repair afterward.

Again, not saying I have any inside knowledge - these are just expenses I've dealt with putting together special events in my job.

9 minutes ago, PaminIndy said:

Going waaaaay back in this thread, someone asked what expenses DCI might have in producing a show. I don't have any insight specifically, but some of the expenses I've dealt with when putting together large events include:

- Trash removal

- Rental items - stanchions, barricades, tents, AV equipment, tables, chairs, walkie talkies, golf carts, etc.

- Liability insurance - I would imagine theirs is more than just the standard "slip and fall", so might be pretty expensive. Most venues that you rent out require at least a $1 M rider, and I would imagine this takes more than that. This would require a certificate be issued for each venue, adding the venue as additional insured.

- Rain insurance for outdoor shows - this costs more than you might think....Depending on how much of the ticket income they want to recover in case of cancellation and the amount of rain at which it kicks in, this can be costly. For instance, covering 80% of the gate at .25" of rain during gate open hours would cost more than covering 60% of the gate. 

- Of course venue rental, if applicable, and the associated fees - how many of the venue staff do you need on-site, for instance janitorial, administrative, facilities - you have to pay the guy who has the key to unlock the loading dock, ya know. Some sites may charge a damage deposit and withhold some of it if the turf needs repair afterward.

Again, not saying I have any inside knowledge - these are just expenses I've dealt with putting together special events in my job.

Streaming copyright licensing. OMG, that alone is probably ridiculous for Thursday. If DCI isn't covering it, then FloMarching must be.

1 hour ago, PaminIndy said:

- Trash removal

All of these are certainly the expenses that add up to a big chunk of the cost of show production but, as was confirmed a little later in the thread, the single largest expense that DCI has to deal with is the payout to the corps.  It's first on the expense ledger.

6 hours ago, mjoakes said:

In early stages of reading through the 990s thread. And also only a short-time participant on DCP.

I think this is the first time I've seen anyone do some rethinking and and then correcting. And making it public. (Actually, I'm probably wrong, since there are many sincere posters on here with an honest interest in critical thinking. But this is the only one that sticks out right now.)

Regardless, good for you, garfield.

Well, thank you for the compliment. 

As you'll see as you progress through the thread, there were a lot of people following along.  A lot of very smart, knowledgeable people so it made little sense to think I could gloss over something and not be called on it.  Besides, the whole exercise was as much a learning experience for me as for most following along.  I was, and am, more interested in the actual explanations more than hearing myself come up with them.

But I'm pleased you're tackling the read.  I'm pretty sure you'll recognize it as similar to Atlas Shrugged or War & Peace.  :innocent:

I hope you make it through before I start the update in the spring...  LOL