The 990's

:tongue:

I am allowed inside the office, but perhaps only because the door is left unlocked during business hours. :w00t:

I smell a cover up!

Is it coincidence that Mr Boo, DCI's chief apologist, is under some sort of order from DCI's imprimatur prohibiting his posting on DCP links to DCI's website at exactly the same time as someone who understands DCI's 990's is translating them for the masses?

I think not!

I never met a conspiracy theory I didn't like!

Now, where did I put my tin-foil cover?

:devil:

PS Garfield - keep up the good work. Like Deep Throat said during Watergate - "Follow the money".

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

You sure that wasn't Dave Gibbs?

No; I'm pretty sure he was intoning "Ho-o-o-o-o-o-p-k-i-i-i-i-i-ns."

PS: Didn't we learn from that video last spring that "Hopkins" is the answer for any random question? (Hey...I'm one of his fans. I've often written that if he didn't exist, we'd have to invent him.)

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 1

I smell a cover up!

Is it coincidence that Mr Boo, DCI's chief apologist, is under some sort of order from DCI's imprimatur prohibiting his posting on DCP links to DCI's website at exactly the same time as someone who understands DCI's 990's is translating them for the masses?

I think not!

I never met a conspiracy theory I didn't like!

Now, where did I put my tin-foil cover?

:devil:

PS Garfield - keep up the good work. Like Deep Throat said during Watergate - "Follow the money".

Hey...although I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, I find them a fun read. For the record, DCI has never once told me I couldn't post anything on DCP, nor have they told me I shouldn't, or even suggested I might want to think twice before posting something. I've always had a free hand from DCI to speak my mind and share my opinion and/or knowledge. Once in awhile, I do go to someone in charge and ask them for a clarification about something that readers have been wondering, and then I share what I've found out. But I believe those in a position of power at DCI respect that an independent Boo can have good PR effects for the organization. I respect both those who run DCI and DCP and I hope to be back doing the "Full Boo" soon.

• Like 1

No; I'm pretty sure he was intoning "Ho-o-o-o-o-o-p-k-i-i-i-i-i-ns."

No, Mike, I mean Are you sure it wasn't DG sitting in the corner chanting "H-o-o-o-o-p-p-k-k-i-i-n-n-s-s-s" and plotting diabolically.

Come one, (snapping fingers), get with the sarcasm.

Edited by garfield

No, Mike, I mean Are you sure it wasn't DG sitting in the corner chanting "H-o-o-o-o-p-p-k-k-i-i-n-n-s-s-s" and plotting diabolically.

Come one, (snaping fingers), get with the sarcasm.

Uh...You're not much for satire, are you? :shutup:

I didn't know satire and sarcasm were so much at odds with each other. (Okay...I'm going back to bed.)

I read the posts on this thread and wonder....Why would the average drum corps fan care? Seems like some people have too much time on their hands to think of this stuff. BITD, did anyone care about what money DCI made? NO! Is this the....seasons over and I want to make a name for myself on DCP? Some of you just sit at your desk or on your couch and think, "How can I cause problems on DCP today?" Gee, get a life!

(Waiting for well-thought out reply and a slap in the face)

People should care about the financial health of the organizations in the activities they love, particularly when financial hardship is both a chronic and acute problem at the moment in the activity. Back in 1972 people had no power to get that information, so it's not a fair comparison. No internet, no guidestar.

As an example, China just appointed new leadership, but the people on the street are essentially uninterested because they have no power to control, or even learn about, their government. That power leads to interest, which leads to action, which leads, by the way, to change.

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 4

Uh...You're not much for satire, are you? :shutup:

I didn't know satire and sarcasm were so much at odds with each other. (Okay...I'm going back to bed.)

Hey! You can't talk to me that way if the education system you provide doesn't teach me the difference between those big words you use. :shutup:

I'm a numbers guy and this whole thread is satire!

(I have no idea what I'm talking about. Is that satire, sarcasm, or just simply the truth? :w00t: )

Hey! You can't talk to me that way if the education system you provide doesn't teach me the difference between those big words you use. :shutup:

I'm a numbers guy and this whole thread is satire!

(I have no idea what I'm talking about. Is that satire, sarcasm, or just simply the truth? :w00t: )

To tell the truth; I no longer know.

Hmm... a negative rating on the intro? Interesting. With no comment posted it's not easy to tell what the poster is opposed to. Is it the premise? A waste of time? You're bored?

I surely understand that there are those who don't give a darn, but I surely don't understand the opposition to learning. But that's just me.

Meh...ignored.

I don't do ratings, however I find this exercise in number analyzation fairly pointless. Anyone who's ever prepared taxes and other financial paperwork for a business or non-profit knows that often numbers can be represented to present any number of scenarios that may or may not accurately reflect the real financial stability (or lack there of).

The well-known stories in the Hollywood film industry, where a movie can gross half a billion dollars at the box office but still lose a studio money, is a good example of a business that creatively presents data (in this case, over exaggerating or guesstimating of expenses) for a specific reason (to avoid paying royalty and 'bonus' salaries to talent based on a film turning a profit).

Far be it from me to accuse DCI or any of its organizations of illegally cooking the books or something: I sincerely have little doubt that is the case. I'm just saying that like many things discussed on a public forum, without all of the proper information any sort of speculation is fun and pointless at best, and damaging at worst.

• Like 1

Hmm... a negative rating on the intro? Interesting. With no comment posted it's not easy to tell what the poster is opposed to. Is it the premise? A waste of time? You're bored?

I surely understand that there are those who don't give a darn, but I surely don't understand the opposition to learning. But that's just me.

Meh...ignored.

Also, FWIW, I too find numbers fascinating to study and speculate on. I hated math in high school and college (it was by far my worst subject), and never excelled at statistics when I had to take it. But now I am fascinated by number analysis and statistics (especially analyzing recaps & numbers management of judges, spreads, etc). I do think this type of discussion could easily get out of hand for the many people who might fail to understand that looking at an organization's 990 is not the end all/be all of a group's financial stability. The rampant speculation and accusations could lead down an unhealthy path.

• Like 1