The 990's

I read the posts on this thread and wonder....Why would the average drum corps fan care?

The average fan wouldn't care. However, the people who passionate discuss drum corps on DCP are not your average fans. They're involved more than being mere seat warmers. (And by that, I do not mean that "average" fans are nothing more than "seat warmers." I believe most fans have some skin in the game.)

Seems like some people have too much time on their hands to think of this stuff.

Like some people having too much time on their hands to think of complaining about believing others having too much time on their hands? (In my case, it's true that I have too much time on my hands. Thinking about drum corps stuff keeps me off the streets, where I'd be turning over police cars and setting fires to abandoned buildings.)

BITD, did anyone care about what money DCI made? NO!

Back in the day, whenever that was, I can't imagine that there weren't people who cared about that. In the early 1980s, people were telling me DCI was going broke and drum corps would die. They cared...they just happened to be wrong.

Is this the....seasons over and I want to make a name for myself on DCP? Some of you just sit at your desk or on your couch and think, "How can I cause problems on DCP today?" Gee, get a life!

Were you sitting at your desk when you thought about this? Or were you on the couch? Either way, I think you may have succeeded in at least stimulating some brain cells; but I would never suggest to you or anyone else to "get a life." We all have lives...perhaps some of us need more hobbies. I myself am thinking of taking up macramé.

(Waiting for well-thought out reply and a slap in the face)

Sorry...not into that sort of thing. (I hope I'm referring to slaps to the face and not well thought out replies.)

• Like 6

Also, FWIW, I too find numbers fascinating to study and speculate on. I hated math in high school and college (it was by far my worst subject), and never excelled at statistics when I had to take it. But now I am fascinated by number analysis and statistics (especially analyzing recaps & numbers management of judges, spreads, etc). I do think this type of discussion could easily get out of hand for the many people who might fail to understand that looking at an organization's 990 is not the end all/be all of a group's financial stability. The rampant speculation and accusations could lead down an unhealthy path.

disagree,..........while you make a point that this analysis may be speculation on specifics,......the gross and net reported numbers are key numbers, and any formal independent audit analysis would raise very similar discussion points, and while initially viewed as speculation, clarification and understanding would ultimately follow,...........

Isn't this item the fee DCI pays credit companies for customers using credit cards to pay DCI? It seems to me that the bank fees are 2 - 3%. No?

Seems to me I remember that merchants will soon be allowed to pass these fees on to customers--which would encourage use of debit rather than credit cards, with lower fees.

Oddly enough, many merchants have been passing this fee on to customers for years. For example, when you go to a gas station that charges extra to use debit card, that debit card fee goes to help offset the credit card payment fee. I know that sounds bass ackwards, but that's what I was told by a VP of a pretty major bank once.

Also, FWIW, I too find numbers fascinating to study and speculate on. I hated math in high school and college (it was by far my worst subject), and never excelled at statistics when I had to take it. But now I am fascinated by number analysis and statistics (especially analyzing recaps & numbers management of judges, spreads, etc). I do think this type of discussion could easily get out of hand for the many people who might fail to understand that looking at an organization's 990 is not the end all/be all of a group's financial stability. The rampant speculation and accusations could lead down an unhealthy path.

First, garfield, thank you for doing this... I think this thread is a fantastic learning experience, and an eye-opening one at that. I had no idea the scope of the operation DCI pulls off every year.

Second, I've read through most/almost all the posts on this thread and I think so far nobody has really gone out on a limb and made any crazy conjectures based on garfield's analysis or the data itself. I think perc2100 is right in that a discussion on this kind of information could get out of hand, but I doubt it will happen here. :smile:

• Like 1

First, garfield, thank you for doing this... I think this thread is a fantastic learning experience, and an eye-opening one at that. I had no idea the scope of the operation DCI pulls off every year.

Second, I've read through most/almost all the posts on this thread and I think so far nobody has really gone out on a limb and made any crazy conjectures based on garfield's analysis or the data itself. I think perc2100 is right in that a discussion on this kind of information could get out of hand, but I doubt it will happen here. :smile:

You are correct: so far this discussion has been benign and actually insightful at times. It's also much approved by the masses (read: me) to have someone ELSE sift through government documents and interpret them for us (me), thereby alleviating us of pointless work. I 100% mean all of that sincerely, and when I made my initial post it was before reading through any replies. I am, frankly, surprised that the discussion has stayed on topic and not strayed too far into conspiracy theory, speculation, etc. mode. It will be interesting to see if the discussion remains that way when we start discussing 990's of different corps, specifically when it comes to comparing data of the "haves" (and the "unpopulars") with the "have nots."

I stand by my initial statements, however this 10ish pages of discussion so far has been one that exemplifies what DCP should be: intelligent discussion with speculation and opinion stated in an intelligent insightful manner that doesn't denigrate or sink to goofy conspiracies. :thumbup:

• Like 2

...so far has been one that exemplifies what DCP should be: intelligent discussion with speculation and opinion stated in an intelligent insightful manner that doesn't denigrate or sink to goofy conspiracies. :thumbup:

Come for the goofy conspiracies, stay for the intelligent discussion.

• Like 4

I read the posts on this thread and wonder....Why would the average drum corps fan care? Seems like some people have too much time on their hands to think of this stuff. BITD, did anyone care about what money DCI made? NO! Is this the....seasons over and I want to make a name for myself on DCP? Some of you just sit at your desk or on your couch and think, "How can I cause problems on DCP today?" Gee, get a life!

(Waiting for well-thought out reply and a slap in the face)

Sorry KH, but I find this topic more interesting than several of the topics you have started on the "histerical" forum. Over 7,200 posts is a lot, too me, for a busy person.

• Like 4