The 990's

I'm going to jump in here and say two things.

First, I'm amazed that this thread attracts some 700 to 1000 view a day. As I look at who's following along, I usually see more guests than members and wonder why those guests don't register on DCP. Could they be directors? Board members? The quiet types who stand in the corner and don't dance with any of the other boys and girls? Still, I'm enthused that so many seem to be attracted to the financial end of our activity. I think if more fans know the financial wire that most corps balance on, the more likely that some will get involved to help the situation.

Second, I've been studying the 990's for the next corps in our review, The Colts, and am quite amazed at what I'm seeing. I've avoided personal opinions as much as possible in this thread - choosing instead (mostly) to let the numbers tell the story. But The Colts are an interesting study. A "million dollar" corps that looks to be as solid as a rock, financially, that can't score higher in competition among corps that spend similar amounts and score in the top 7 or 8. Why is that? The details of Colt's finances are coming up but, I wonder before we jump headlong into the finances, why this corps doesn't seem to compete with the other "big boys" when they seem to spend like one?

(off soapbox, to some extent)

:tongue:/>/>

Edited by garfield

The Colts

Revenue, Expenses, and Net Assets

The Bottom Line

Total Revenue

2009: $1,196,372

2010: $1,223,490

2011: $1,179,628

Total Expenses

2009: $1,245,650

2010: $1,283,169

2011: $1,241,725

Net Revenue (loss)

2009: ($49,278) a loss

2010: ($59,679) ditto

2011: ($62,097) ditto

Net Assets

2009: $249,565

2010: $189,886

2011: $127,789

The Academy

Balance Sheet

I've been looking at Academy's Balance sheet and I wish I could find something profound enough about it to list each asset and liability, but I just can't. 2008's report is not available in their "EZ" form, and 2009 and 2010 are about as boring as we've seen so far. Nothing at all sticks out; nothing changed much. Except, that is, for the bottom line.

They added about $67,000, or about 20%, to their net assets in 2010. From what I've seen so far, The Academy is, financially, a solid, well-run organization who's biggest worry is whether there will be a circuit in which they can compete.

I do find it interesting that Academy (and other's recently in our review here) have been able to increase "membership dues" in the last few years, and wonder if it's related to placement and/or awareness of the corps. I admit to knowing very little about the corps until recent years and I'd bet that, as more fans notice them, they can get a higher rate on their dues. In Academy's case, it appears "membership dues" includes camp fees. Their increase in "dues" (from $291,000 in '09 to $357,000 in '10) may also indicate more kids trying out for Academy as well as a general increase in dues. Both, or either, would be great for the corps.

I appreciate a corps that minds it's financial P's and Q's. It seems I can be confident in sending my kid to Tempe for Thanksgiving.

Nice job, Academy.

It's probably because membership dues have gone up by about a thousand per person SINCE I MARCHED. I last marched in 2009, was going to march in 2010, price was about the same, a little higher think. A couple weeks ago someone told me how much dues were, for a corps that I knew to be one of the cheapest, and still are supposedly. Dues have went up quite a bit. Also corps are dragging kids through camps a lot longer. It makes sense. Money wise and competition wise. By not giving everyone contract, and by telling them to keep coming back, you get to learn a lot better who will make it over the summer. Also you get more money from dues.

And I'm sure some of it might be from the corps becoming more popular, especially Academy, who from the sounds of things have a great presence in its area. And it is an attractive corps to go to for people in that region. How many world class corps are in the southwest???

Edit: None of this is known fact, just speculation and assumptions on what I have seen and heard.

Then again, that's all DCP is! Lol Except this thread... it's nice to see some numbers at play!

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

The Colts

Statement of Program Service Accomplishments

(Note: Colts list the A-corps and the Colt Cadets but don't break out the two into separate accounting.)

2009: Revenue: $768,789, Expenses: $1,066,400

2010: Revenue: $819,484, Expenses: $1,116,330

2011: Revenue: $876,512, Expenses: $1,061,072

The Colts

Compensation of Officers, Directors, Trustees, Key Employees, etc

(Note: Colts list only ED Greg Orwoll and Controller/Designer Jeff Macfarlane as paid executive staff.)

Executive Director Greg Orwoll:

2009: $60,033

2010: $57,600

2011: $57,600

Controller/Designer Jeff Macfarlane

2009: $41,397

2010: $42,000

2011: $42,000

Observation: OK, this one tickles my funny bone. The controller is also a designer? As in, show designer? Financial statement designer? Costume designer? A number-cruncher who also has creative talent? Isn't that an oxymoron?

I'm hoping someone here who's familiar with Mr. Macfarlane can shed some light on what kind of designer he is for the corps. Anyone who can see creativity in number-crunching is someone I want to know more about!