Who could pull of a VERY dark show?

I think for a show to be truly dark the subject matter must be truly dark.

I don't mean Twilight or any other teenage vampire fantasy movie that involves good looking yet carboard actors.

1. It must be based on a true life story, it really did happen.

2. It must be a story the audience are aware of.

3. It must be a story that moves the audience at a much deeper level than knowing Robert Pattinson was in the movie.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 1

The Academy :whistle:

I'm probably the wrong person to answer this question. My favorite "pick me up" show is 1988 Skyriders "Sound of Music."

Well....let's make it dark! have Maria get caught and executed by the Nazis! The show could ens with the Nazis singing "Tomorrow Belongs to Me". :smile:

I think BK could do it and make it work, as could Regiment and SCV. Those are my three top choices for such a show.

I think that members love darker shows, at least from asking the band I work with for show design concepts. They LOVED doing "Sweeney Todd" last fall, for instance. Most of their ideas for selections tend to be along the darker side.

I have no interest in a truly dark disturbing show, and my guess is 95%+ percentage of fans going to shows don't want to see it either. I would go as far as saying a show as described by the OP would fall into the artistic dribble that too many groups are putting out today.

As far as a high school band doing something like that, I can't imagine a parent or the community having to put up with it for a whole season. Watching it once at a show is fine, but seeing it in rehearsals, football games and shows all falll would drive me nuts.

I do respect the OP's opinion and this is not an attack on that, it's just so not my cup of tea. As far as the original question goes, I would say trying that type of show would fit 50% of corps personalities, any one of them could do it.

• Like 3

I want to see a drum corps do a downright evil, dark, sinister, disturbing show with dark, powerful, and emotional music. I want a theme that leaves no room for happiness, there is no happy ending, and it leaves you with chills. Something beyond Cavaliers "Mad World" or Bluecoats "Metropolis". Darker than Suncoast Sounds 1988 show. If you follow BOA, something along the lines of Broken Arrow High Schools show this year "Surrender to Hope", or LD Bell's 2006 show "The Remaning", both shows that focus on a post apocolyptic hell on earth.

Who could do it? I'd pick Bluecoats. Anyone else want to see a show like this? I've been waitng for a show like this in drum corps for awhile. Dark marching shows are my weakness. :devil:

I think I could see crown doing this or the regiment, I know that sounds typical but I think that the regiment could pull off a SUPER dark classical piece. And I think crown could do it because, well they're crown. End of story.

I could be wrong, this is just my opinion

• Like 1

I've always found these so-called "dark" shows, including the ones mentioned in the OP, to be incredibly silly and corny. Not something I'd want to see a drum corps doing. Teenagers sure do seem to love it though.

"Dark" to me would be a show like BK 2006, which involved little pretension and almost no over-the-top writhing around on the field.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 2

Well....let's make it dark! have Maria get caught and executed by the Nazis! The show could ens with the Nazis singing "Tomorrow Belongs to Me". :smile:

Presenting their 2013 program, "The Producers"... :tongue:

• Like 1