PAL Cadets

Does anyone remember the PAL Cadets from New Jersey? They were DCI A60. Just wondering because I had family members in that corps

"PAL Cadets":

Bridgeport CT had it's own "PAL Cadets" also. Andy Lisko could better relate their history, as could their Alumni website.

Suffice to say that they were a very worthy rival, as were our (And their) cross town rival the St Raphael Buccaneers.

I understand that in the "End of Times" year of 1968, (The Royal Lancers and St Anns were already memories) when both juniors were about to close their doors and turn out their lights, a merger was attempted. Details Andy?

Elphaba

My Dad was a member of them in '85 and so I was wondering if anyone still remembered them even after their existence. He was telling me about how nasty drum corps rivalries were back then

"PAL Cadets":

Bridgeport CT had it's own "PAL Cadets" also. Andy Lisko could better relate their history, as could their Alumni website.

Suffice to say that they were a very worthy rival, as were our (And their) cross town rival the St Raphael Buccaneers.

I understand that in the "End of Times" year of 1968, (The Royal Lancers and St Anns were already memories) when both juniors were about to close their doors and turn out their lights, a merger was attempted. Details Andy?

Elphaba

Your memory is quite good Elphie ... towardas the end of 68, both the PAL and the Bucs knew this would be the end ... the corps got together and decided to help each other out by having the Bucs march along with the PAL at the CYO Nationals and then the PAL would march with the Bucs in the Cardinal Cushing ... even some of the Hurcs got involved because there was no DCA show that week ... I think two rehearsals were held at the Harry Condon AL Post #11 with Dreitzer now instructing the combined horn lines to concentrate on the first and last eith bars of each tune - and let the backfield stuff handle itself ... Dreitzer was all smiles as he saw his charts go from being played by a 28 man hornlined to 50+ in one fair swoop ... the drumline (led by yours truly) concentrated on adding more bass and doubles (we already had tymps) to the mix ... Hall of the Mountain King sounded quite good in a matter of hours with the added depth ... then things came to a screeching halt ... the Hurcs mgmt got wind of it and pulled their guys out - they feared some type of reprisal at the upcoming DCA Championships ... and then some other things happened, so the combo corps never came off ... but for one brief moment it really seemds like it could work ... the corps continued "talks" for a merger in 1969, but it never materialized beyond talks ... too bad ... most of the members went to the Hurcs the next year and they won DCA ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Your memory is quite good Elphie ... towardas the end of 68, both the PAL and the Bucs knew this would be the end ... the corps got together and decided to help each other out by having the Bucs march along with the PAL at the CYO Nationals and then the PAL would march with the Bucs in the Cardinal Cushing ... even some of the Hurcs got involved because there was no DCA show that week ... I think two rehearsals were held at the Harry Condon AL Post #11 with Dreitzer now instructing the combined horn lines to concentrate on the first and last eith bars of each tune - and let the backfield stuff handle itself ... Dreitzer was all smiles as he saw his charts go from being played by a 28 man hornlined to 50+ in one fair swoop ... the drumline (led by yours truly) concentrated on adding more bass and doubles (we already had tymps) to the mix ... Hall of the Mountain King sounded quite good in a matter of hours with the added depth ... then things came to a screeching halt ... the Hurcs mgmt got wind of it and pulled their guys out - they feared some type of reprisal at the upcoming DCA Championships ... and then some other things happened, so the combo corps never came off ... but for one brief moment it really seemds like it could work ... the corps continued "talks" for a merger in 1969, but it never materialized beyond talks ... too bad ... most of the members went to the Hurcs the next year and they won DCA ...

As best I can remember, as late as 1973(74) the Golden Bucs were still alive and kickin'. They used to kick our butts at winter indoors. Things came to an end in 1975(76) and they merged with the Emerald Cadets to form the Emerald Buccaneers. It was a nice corps but it had a short life span of one year.

As best I can remember, as late as 1973(74) the Golden Bucs were still alive and kickin'. They used to kick our butts at winter indoors. Things came to an end in 1975(76) and they merged with the Emerald Cadets to form the Emerald Buccaneers. It was a nice corps but it had a short life span of one year.

You are correct ... the Bucs reformed in 1972 and the merged with St. Aeden's in 75 ...