auditioning 2013

alow1119

I was wondering do most that audition for a corps audition on their concert or marching horn?

If at all possible, corps encourage you to bring an instrument for yourself, as there will almost certainly be more auditionees than there will be instruments. For the first camp it doesn't matter whether it is a concert or marching instrument, the most important thing is that it is something you are comfortable on. If you actually make the corps and sign a contract, they will then provide you with corps-owned marching instruments to use at camps. There probably (but not necessarily) will be corps instruments available for those who are unable to bring their own instrument, so it's not too big of a deal if you can't.

before you show up with your concert horn, ask if they accept it.

You don't want to show up with a trombone or french horn if they don't want to hear it.

I know some corps will want to hear you on your concert horn, but also ask you to play on a corps horn an exercise or two.

But just email the corps you are auditioning for and ask. I wish I would have. It would have been a lot more comfortable than trying to hold up a euphonium while playing my excerpt the best I can.

before you show up with your concert horn, ask if they accept it.

You don't want to show up with a trombone or french horn if they don't want to hear it.

I know some corps will want to hear you on your concert horn, but also ask you to play on a corps horn an exercise or two.

True, or a sousaphone :tongue: Apologies, I hadn't thought of that

If at all possible, corps encourage you to bring an instrument for yourself, as there will almost certainly be more auditionees than there will be instruments. For the first camp it doesn't matter whether it is a concert or marching instrument, the most important thing is that it is something you are comfortable on. If you actually make the corps and sign a contract, they will then provide you with corps-owned marching instruments to use at camps. There probably (but not necessarily) will be corps instruments available for those who are unable to bring their own instrument, so it's not too big of a deal if you can't.

My concert instrument is a tbone but I have a marching baritone, and pieces prepared for both

True, or a sousaphone :tongue: Apologies, I hadn't thought of that

I love the people who would bring Sousas. They always get weird looks. But most the time corps don't mind because it so hard to find tubas for everyone. And most of the time they would rather you stand than sit with a concert horn.

I remember at Phantom auditions in 08 we basically rotated horns so everyone got a chance at the King beasts.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember I brought a sousa when I auditioned for Blue Stars in '09, thankfully I didn't have to use it cause I was the 7th contra when I auditioned lol, though if you're auditioning for a corps that still uses G horns (Tradition, Renegades, Empire Statesmen) your concert horn wouldn't do you much good in getting used to a G horn lol

• 2 weeks later...

Not entirely true. If you play a Bb concert horn, you can tape or hold down your 3rd valve and can at least get used to G transposed music with your first two valves.

If you have a C tuba, hold down the 4th valve and pull your slides out. The 4th valve (typically a 1+3 combo) brings a C tuba down to G. Then you still have your three usual valves to practice on.