Valve oil?

Ch1k3n

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fill up your tub with warm water

Note he said warm water. This is really important if you have an older instrument with nitrocellulose lacquer, as hot water will melt the finish. Lye-based cleaning solutions will do likewise. And any solder repairs will burn the lacquer.

Plated horns and those with a baked epoxy finish are exempt from this warning.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to give my horn a flush at home with a garden hose or something? and if so, does anyone have any tips? I might want to try it. My King feels like it's got a ton of resistance.

I was told to buy a trash can just for cleaning horns and fill it with water and Simple Green. Simple Green is supposed to be able to clean with out messing up the finish.

I've always used Dawn dishwashing liguid to degrease and clean my bugles.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea dawn works for me and I love blue juice but I will say that if you are not planning on playing it regularly don't use blue juice because it can have a tendency to crystalize versus evaporate but the same principles that make it crystalize are the same ones that make it last long as long as you are playing regularly. I have used it for a decade now on bachs, yahamas, stomvis, kings, blessings and taylors and it was worked great on all of them. Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Most lacquered horns don't leave soaking for too long, as you never quite know what type of lacquer is on the horn - and even just water can eventually strip it. Diluted simple green 6:1 is what we used at repair school to degrease and sterilize the horns. 3-5 minutes should be long enough. Then snake the brush through and rinse. I use an air compressor to dry the horns.

Edited by BrassClef

I just use the al cass fast stuff. Back when I had the option to do competitive drumcorps and when outside in dry conditions, you can get away with using a spray bottle with water like trombonists use. Or at least that's how'd you save yourself a bottle and a half of valve oil when rehearsing in utah for a couple of days.

But it's not always a simple answer. Many of the newer horns have tighter tollerances and need thinner oils. Rotor oil is some of the thicker type stuff so you probably want to avoid using that.

If the valves are monel, (it has a dull gray look to it), then polishing the valves with brass polish can remove some deposits that may be causing the valves to be sluggish. Nickel plated valves are less prone to this problem, but in anycase, cleaning tarnish and other residue that builds up on the valves will definitely help.

• 1 month later...

*shrugs*

I use blue juice exclusively in all my horns and have never had a problem. I must be doing it wrong... :lookaround:/>

Second this notion. I've used Blue Juice on a variety of small bore horns since getting back into playing about a decade ago. On my close tolerance Yama 204 mello, I often go for weeks without oiling. I had a big bottle for years and used it so infrequently it turned clear with age. Back in the 80s in corps and in 'real' life I used the Al Cass Fast. It was good but I seem to remember applying it far more often.

Sounds like good advice to give the valves a flush before changing brands. I hear synthetics and real oil do not play nice. Crossing the streams is BAD.

I have been using Al Cass Fast ever since Pro Oil stopped making the blue synthetic they had. Recently, I have found a valve oil that works better than any oil I have ever use in my 45 years of playing brass. It is called "T2".

Clean the horn, valve, and valve casings really good so as not to mix oils, then use T2. I think you will be amazed at the performance. For anyone, if you have never tried T2, spend the money and give a bottle a try. It really is amazing how well it works. I also really like the bottle. To dispense, you have to touch the tip to the valve. It doesnt squirt just by tipping it over like most valve oils and thus doesnt spill on the horn or floor.

t2_l.jpg

• 1 month later...

The two oils I've used is Al Cass (still use it to this day) and Hetmans valve oils.

Blue Juice never seemed to work well for me, even after I applied it with a thorough horn flush.