Plymouth Show Review

Does anyone have a review of the Plymouth show?

As a participant I didn't get to see very much.

Thanks

Just some quick thoughts, not necessarily a full review....

First.... the two years I've been there as a fan, it seems that the audience size could be bigger. The venue is terrific, the show committee does a great job running the event, the corps put on solid performances, the crowd is good-sized, but there are a noticeable amount of empty seats.

I wonder if ticket prices for the show need to be lowered to help attract more fans. 32 dollars is more than the top ticket for any other indoor alumni-corps concert, as far as I know, and perhaps a bit much for a show like this.

All the corps put on good shows, and I certainly enjoyed the evening... it's nice to be a fan in the stands from time to time!!!... but my personal "top three" in terms of overall performance this year were, in no particular order, the Caballeros Alumni, Hanover Lancers Alumni, and Crusaders Senior Corps.

Cabs Alumni were "high energy" and then some at this show... with Jim Russo out front, after his recent health issues. Great to see him back where he belongs!!! The Cabs Alumni drum line really stood out with an outstanding performance. And the brass soloists had a very good night. This corps remains "the Cadillac" of the alumni-corps activity.

I will give a particular shout-out to the Hanover Lancers, who were absolutely stellar Saturday night. What a horn line. Great quality, balance and control, and wonderful charts. And their vocal choral work was top-notch.

The Lancers' percussion section isn't too shabby, either... the extended drum solo was terrific. IMO, this corps has worked its way into the upper echelon of the alumni-corps activity, into the "must-see" category. They very well might be the best-kept secret in all of drum corps.

I love the Boston senior corps. Not the biggest or loudest corps out there, but the intensity of their sound is almost indescribable... classic "BAC". This is another alumni corps whose horn line puts on a "balance, control and quality" clinic. And a rock-solid percussion section.

I think my ears are still ringing, a couple of days after the Holy Family Defenders Alumni got done with us. LOL. Those guys... close to 70 horns at this show... can really bring the heat! Very nice job with the Madison Scouts-Blue Devils "down memory lane" charts.

And thanks to the Reilly Raiders, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Les Diplomates and Park City Pride for entertaining us. We even got a brief "French lesson" from Les Diplomates. LOL. All those corps were fun to watch, and they all can play a bit, to say the least!

Edited by Fran Haring

Thanks for the kind words Fran, but still don't think you're going to get the announcing job at the Hanover standstill show. :tongue:

When I started at Hanover there were a parade corps with a few standstill performances at some of the parades. At some point corps management asked what would help the corps to survive and more than one (no idea how many) member said play more than parade tunes as it's getting stale to do the "same old" every year. To managements credit they decided to go another step further and have a show of different types of music. That is each song is a different type from the other songs in the show. Will have to say some of the charts were/are more complex than what I played on the field BITD but to the members credit they rose to the challenge. And the charts are fun to play (and sing) so it's ain't boring. Just hoping that the corps continues to get younger members joining as that's helping the survival too. Considering the field corps disbanded in the mid 80s it's not like there are a lot of true Lancer Alumni around.

And yeah singing..... who'd a thunk it.... :tongue:

Thanks for the kind words Fran, but still don't think you're going to get the announcing job at the Hanover standstill show. :tongue:/>

That's OK, Jim... I'll probably be busy with the Westshoremen Alumni corps that night....LOL... and the guy doing the show did a great job last year!

Honest to God, the Lancers can flat-out bring it. Great corps.

That's OK, Jim... I'll probably be busy with the Westshoremen Alumni corps that night....LOL... and the guy doing the show did a great job last year!

Honest to God, the Lancers can flat-out bring it. Great corps.

Hey Fran, you mean you didn't do that show last April??? :tongue:/> So how was it announcing Saturday in Plymouth??? :winky:/>

Hey Fran, you mean you didn't do that show last April??? :tongue:/>/> So how was it announcing Saturday in Plymouth??? :winky:/>/>

:spitting: :spitting: :spitting: