Death of Corps

T man

After the Cavaliers performed "Frameworks" - the highest rated show of all time (tied with the other show I will mention), I was sure that DCI was on the upswing.

In the mid 2000's George Hopkins became the bad-guy of DCI. The year before I marched, he proposed numerous rule changes that drove DCI closer to being BOA, and that scared people. So, he became the boogey man.

However, in '05 the Cadets tied the highest scoring show of all time with "The Zone" - my favorite drum corps show of all time: and the only Cadets show I ever liked. And it only became possible through those same numerous rule changes.

This was the peak of DCI in my eyes. And at the time, I was hoping this was just the beginning. I thought new rule changes would happen every year and through this, DCI would become more accessible to those WITHOUT marching band backgrounds.

At the beginning it seemed like I was right:

2006, brings "Machine" from the Cavaliers. They took a few things from the previous year and incorporated them.

Brilliant show.

2007 brings? nothing

2008 brings? nothing

2009 brings? nothing

2010 brings? nothing

2011 brings? nothing

2012 brings? A winner who only plays dissonant chords and fast runs, but no melody whatsoever. And a second place that dresses in cream in order to make the color combination, with the green field, look more like vomit.

Frameworks came when I had never seen DCI before. It imprinted on me as: what DCI is.

Without the amazement that comes from shows like that, DCI will lose interest with everyone. It will be too boring.

First people that never marched, but continue to visit shows, will lose interest. After that, people with family members in it will become reluctant to go to shows, even just to see the person march. And finally, high school marching band members will lose interest and stop auditioning, because BOA is more exciting.

So, here we are: 2013.

In the middle of a drum corps recession/depression.

I leave this as a warning for you with DCI connections:

Push the envelope

or DCI WILL DIE.

(PS. If anyone thinks a show from 07-12 tops 05 Cadets or 06 Cavies, then I want to know. Leave a comment.)

(P.S.S. Its been a few years since I've been on this forum, and I wanted to express my concern about this topic matter. After posting this topic, I have come across a few other topics similar to this. But, most of those topics are about politics. Instead, I'm only talking about the artistic qualities of the shows themselves.)

Edited by T man
  • Like 4

Spartacus ;-)  But seriously, what a terribly depressing thing to discuss... Personally I would like to respectfully disagree, with the disclaimer that I have only been aware of the activity since 2008 and actively involved since 2010, so to me all of these shows are great! I also don't know anything about the politics and inner workings of DCI, but (whether in spite of this, or because of it) I have not once lost interest in auditioning. I don't know if my lack of participation in BOA has anything to do with it either, but just my $.02.....

Edited by laser.lemon
  • Like 2

yeah, I forgot about spartacus... I'll admit that, but just because PR is always the exception, not the rule.

However, BD is NOT a good corps. Fast, Loud, and Dissonant is not important at all in music. And crap drill on top does not add up to good. I'm also disappointed that during 07-12 they've won so many times without being good or having really any serious competition. (Excluding the years they lost obviously, however "Between, Angels and Demons" was not very good.)

Edited by T man
  • Like 3

yeah, I forgot about spartacus... I'll admit that, but just because PR is always the exception, not the rule.

However, BD is NOT a good corps. Fast, Loud, and Dissonant is not important at all in music. And crap drill on top does not add up to good. I'm also disappointed that during 07-12 they've won so many times without being good or having really any serious competition. (Excluding the years they lost obviously, however "Between, Angels and Demons" was not very good.)

I haven't been around Drum Corps for very long, T man, but one thing I've learned from watching high school marching band is that a group's show concept isn't always the deciding factor in winning. I've seen many bands perform a simple show with simple music and drill get very high scores because their performance was at a much higher level of execution than their competition.

BD won because the judges felt their performance was just a little bit better than Crown's. And, considering the scores given to each of those Corps, the judges seem to disagree with your contention that BD is not a good Corps.

Now, you are certainly entitled to your opinion about a particular Corps or a particular show. Myself, I liked BD's show last summer more than Crown's. I also liked BK's show more than Crown's...though I'll be the first to say they didn't perform to the level of any of the top 5 Corps. Heck, I found Jersey Surf's show to be much more fun to watch than Crown's show. But hey, that's just me. Your opinions obviously differ. So it goes.

I find your gloom and doom predictions about the demise of Drum Corps to be short-sighted and premature. I think that as long as there are dedicated educators out there and eager students, that Drum Corps will continue for a very long time.

• Like 4

Fast, Loud, and Dissonant is not important at all in music.

If "fast" didn't matter, I don't think Chopin's Joplin's Rags would ever be any fun to listen to...

If "loud" was not an important dynamic, I have a feeling Tchaikovsky would have second thoughts about 90% of all his endings, but especially Francesca Da Rimini (22:49)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDhk4orHrSk

If "dissonance" didn't exist in music, not only would you feel bored with nothing but consonance, but you'd never get amazing pieces like Bernard Herrmann's well known Score to Psycho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPu4zWLWzs

EDIT--Thank you Michael Boo, I meant Joplin, not Chopin, which I wrote out of the excitement of the moment. Corrected!

Edited by maestro!
  • Like 4

So it's got to be pushing the envelope, different, new & exciting, etc, etc or it will die? If that's todays mindset then "we have met the enemy and they are us".

Here's pushing the envelope... how about quit trying to impress us that you (the corps) can do something different and just try to entertain the public with the show.

disclaimer: Know that sounds olde pharte-ish but I don't go to shows to be impressed by what the performers can do. I go to forget my troubles for a while and just enjoy myself. And if that's greedy.... too bad :rolleyes:/>

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 7

2007 brings? nothing

2008 brings? nothing

2009 brings? nothing

2010 brings? nothing

2011 brings? nothing

2012 brings? A winner who only plays dissonant chords and fast runs, but no melody whatsoever. And a second place that dresses in cream in order to make the color combination, with the green field, look more like vomit.

I was concerned I would be entering the Thanksgiving holiday with the burden of having something for which to be thankful when your gift of Debbie Downer depression fell from the sky like manna from heaven. Now I'm going to have to re-read my liner notes for all those years to try to figure out how I somehow pulled a Seinfeld by writing glowingly about nothing. (Must have been hopped up on the after-effects of stadium popcorn fumes.)

As for 2012, learning that Satie's "Gymnopedies" has no melody and Crown visually looked like the after-effects of my intestinal disgorge has given me something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving, which is the realization that I mercifully was not blessed with the same worldview that enlightens your take on the activity.

Only a masochist would return to be inundated with even more ennui after getting absolutely nothing out of drum corps for five years in a row. I guess I've got to admire your fortitude.

'Tis the season to be jolly officially starts in several hours. I hope you're not expecting Santa to fill your stocking with coal, because I think he's more environmentally conscious now and has replaced that good old standby with carbon offset credits.

No matter how bleak things look, I would never slit my wrists, so I think I'll do the next best thing and eat a bucket of worms.

Cheers!

• Like 9

While I respect your opinion, I do feel there are a few more shows that you've failed to mention.....

2007: I agree was a meh year

2008: gave us spartacus, absurdity and my personal favorite samurai. All 3 shows unique and wonderful.

2009: another so-so year, although kudos to crown for breaking into the top 3

2010: mad world, a crowd favorite. And is what I feel to be an example of how to use electronics in drum corps.

2011: there were some good shows, but I agree, none that I could live without...lol.

2012: again some good shows, I agree. But none that are on my favorites list. Club Voltaire was actually my favorite of the summer. The execution and performance of the show live I thought was incredible.

Edited by GREENBLUE

I remember when I had my first beer. :doh:

• Like 4

disclaimer: Know that sounds olde pharte-ish but I don't go to shows to be impressed by what the performers can do. I go to forget my troubles for a while and just enjoy myself. And if that's greedy.... too bad rolleyes.gif/>

Is that what an elderly Phantom Regiment phan is called?