Could a Change in Show Design Help Alleviate Financial Problems?

I don't think it would hurt...but honestly that's pretty surface level. The problems drum corps are having funding themselves are endemic to the basic way they operate as businesses, and it really isn't relevant what kind of shows they do if they don't have steady funding sources and a good manager.

• Like 1

I think so. Look at Jersey Surf this year. Their show this past year was a huge fan favorite, and really succeeded in getting butts in the seats for their performances. And they sold those yellow thunder sticks before their shows, which gave them a lot of fundraising dollars. And people will give money to the corps they enjoy. I know lots of people who donated to Surf because of how exciting their show was this year.

I believe the same thing happened with Cadets a few years back. After the 06-08 stretch when they weren't favorites, they turned things around in 2009, and became big hits with the fans again. And people aren't going to donate to a corps they don't enjoy the products of. Seems simple.

The title says it all. Can a change in show design influence the popularity and overall financial stability of a corps, what styles are the most popular and why? Please give examples.

Completely unrelated. The issue is DCI and member corps not diversifying revenues to include streams entirely unrelated to drum corps, marching band, etc.

What will increase the financial stability of drum corps is selling more stuff that is not dependent on the very narrow market of marching band enthusiasts.

Completely unrelated. The issue is DCI and member corps not diversifying revenues to include streams entirely unrelated to drum corps, marching band, etc.

What will increase the financial stability of drum corps is selling more stuff that is not dependent on the very narrow market of marching band enthusiasts.

That's the end. Nothing more needs said.

"Leave the gun. Take the canolis."

We can go now.

danielray,

I find your post troubling. Sad situation if what we provide can never have enough value as it is.

Fred, I understand your point. But the reality is that very, very few "arts" activities support themselves via gate receipts.

Check out your local symphony. Or art gallery. Heck in my town, the corportations have a consortium made up of "leaders" who sit around and decide which arts orgs get how much this year.

It's a sad fact of arts funding, but drum corps isn't NASCAR or Rihanna.

What DanielRay said is exactly right, IMO. Drum corps needs corporate finance instead of bingo and begging.

The title says it all. Can a change in show design influence the popularity and overall financial stability of a corps, what styles are the most popular and why? Please give examples.

Yes and No.

See Carolina Crown 2005ish - present.

They gained an immense fan-following that really exploded in 2007 with the horsey show. It was a step by step climb into 2nd place in 2009, and now here they are being seen as the "next Star".

That being said, with all the power they've gained from being one of the top corps in the nation, they've also taken a hit financially (most likely due to their new staff compensation and touring capabilities). Expensive staff might equal better competitive success, but unfortunately it also means you need deeper pockets.

So are they more stable? Yes they can sustain themselves due to fan following and support, but it is more expensive than it was when they were in 11th place due to new touring and staff expenses.

Notice I haven't even mentioned music licensing, props, and electronics, which no doubt affect it as well.

Most of the issues are a result of expense of the staff, and not necessarily show design. Design is often a contributor, but not necessarily the prime issue IMO.

As an example of this, look at Madison from 2003-2006:

2003, the Scouts stormed back into Finals after missing out the previous year. They got a brand new director and staff and were much more solid in all captions (while still playing G Bugles). Sal Salas, their new director, showed ability to lead corps into competitive success.

2004, the Scouts continued their competitive success. Fans took note of the difference in show design. (Most felt bored compared to the old Scouts, though they were happy with the competitive success).

2005, the Scouts peaked with Salas and their Carmen show. Sneaking into 6th place with a strong brass and drumline, the Scouts enjoyed their best competitive placement since 1999.

2006, the walls came crumbling down. Issues arose with staff, and quite a few ended up leaving because of it. The Scouts slid back with a less successful show (both with fans and judges). Salas left at the end of this year, leaving the Scouts with a hefty financial burden.

After a few tumultuous years, the Scouts seem to be back on solid footing with their current directors. They don't try what they cannot handle, and they don't appear to be in too much financial stress in comparison to 2006-2007.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

garfield,

I read danielray to suggest something more than typical, sustaining corporate donations. By the way, donations that probably won't have the same positive tax consequences from this point forward. Heaven help the activity we love, if it continues only through the sale of fruitcakes.

Still sad.

The issue is DCI and member corps not diversifying revenues to include streams entirely unrelated to drum corps, marching band, etc.

Daniel, I agree with your first paragraph.

But doesn't the performance product itself still matter quite a bit, when it comes to marketing the activity outside of, in your words, "the very narrow market of marching band enthusiasts" ?

How do you "sell more stuff" if the product is not geared to reach a more "mainstream" (for lack of a better word) audience?

Fred has a good point, IMO.

Even major symphony orchestras these days are trying new things, in terms of programming, in their bid to attract more paying customers (and more corporate/community support) from outside the traditional base of support for those organizations. In my city of Baltimore, the BSO certainly is working to make that happen. It, purely and simply, is a matter of survival for them and other similar organizations nationwide.

Drum corps can got out and beat the drums for corporate support all it wants.... an admirable goal, for sure..... but IMO, if the product isn't seen as something that will attract and hold a sizeable audience, Corporate America may not respond.

• Like 1